Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • lube on freehub pawls?
  • Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I have heard of oil being put on freehub pawls eg on Hope hubs.
    Got a Reynolds wheel apart and wanting to know what to use?
    I like the noisy hubs so don’t want to use grease!
    Thinking Finish line dry lube?
    Thanks,
    Max

globalti
    Free Member

No, Finish Line dry is just wax in a solvent so I wouldn’t use that. I’ve tried 3 in 1 oil on my Mavic hub but it didn’t hang around for long so I went thicker and tried EP90, which is gear oil. It has stopped the freehub body from rocking slightly on the hub (it is wearing) and made the pawls much quieter. I would suggest you start with a thin oil like 3 in 1 then try engine oil, maybe the synthetic stuff that’s used in modern diesels.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Won’t a thin oil just be ejected due to the centrifugal motion of the hub?.

globalti
    Free Member

Some will get past the seal, yes. Even EP90 got past mine and dribbled down the spokes but once I’d wiped it off no more came out.

nuke

I like the noisy hubs so don’t want to use grease!

Use grease but just don’t pack it in…Hopes come with a fair amount of grease in from looking at mine but they’re still noisy.

Can’t see what you trying to achieve by wanting to use oil when grease does the job

LS
    Free Member

Finish Line green works really well. Thick enough to stay put but thin enough not to gum up the pawls like grease can.

honourablegeorge

Mavic recommend Mineral Oil on theirs

devash
    Free Member

+1 Finish Line Green

I’ve tried a couple of different things on the pawls of my Fulcrum freehub. Grease was too thick (sticky feeling) and 3 in 1 didn’t last more than a couple of rides.

If you can get hold of it then Phil Wood Tenacious oil is supposed to be even better.

bigyinn
    Free Member

honourablegeorge – Member

Mavic recommend Mineral Oil on theirs
    Thats more for the freehub bushing than the pawls though.

maxb
    Free Member

Not grease, if the springs are light it can easily gum/stick and the pawls will not function – a thicker (winter/wet weather type) chain lube is ideal – just a drop or two on each pawl.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I was looking for something thicker than just oil, thinner than grease. Tried Fox Float fluid, it seems to work pretty well in my Hope XC.

rocketman
    Free Member

Motul 10W/40 synthetic

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I used a smear of grease on mine, opened it up again about 6 months later and all was still good, the grease was still there. I wouldn’t want to use anything thinner as it might not remain in place and i any water gets in the grease will remain and not get washed off.

wrecker
    Free Member

Put some Dumonde freehub oil on mine (sold as industry 9 torch hub oil).
    Can’t say it’s made much difference. My mate on his similarly used DT swiss M1900 (so not high end) freewheeled right past me on sunday and he’s a good bit lighter too.
    I’m not hugely impressed with the Pro 2 evos so far to be honest, I’m hoping they loosen up.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Thanks guys.
    Just stripped hub out to replace bearings and cleaned hub.
    Not making any improvements! Just wanted to know the best stuff to use.
    Had grease in a hub before and it seems to impare function of the pawls.
    Shall try finish line green as that’s what I have lying around!

tomaso
    Free Member

Hope recommend Mobil HXP222 Greasey blue lube

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Put some Dumonde freehub oil on mine (sold as industry 9 torch hub oil).
    Can’t say it’s made much difference. My mate on his similarly used DT swiss M1900 (so not high end) freewheeled right past me on sunday and he’s a good bit lighter too.

Bearings, tyre tread, tyre pressure etc will affect your rolling speed, not which oil/grease you put on your pawls.

wrecker
    Free Member

The tyres are less aggressive than those on my FS, same pressure. The fact is that the hope hub is draggy (and known to be so), I hoped that changing the grease for oil would help (saw that others had done it). I’d have tried anything to be frank.

honourablegeorge

bigyinn – Member

Thats more for the freehub bushing than the pawls though.

Nope, instructions specify 5 drops of mineral oil on the pawls/ratchet

[video]https://youtu.be/31i0XWJpI4Y?t=103[/video]

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘lube on freehub pawls?’ is closed to new replies.