Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • lube me up
  • wiggles
    Free Member

Never been one for looking after my bikes very well, but as I’ve got a half decent one now looking to see what you guys recommend to keep it that way.

Have grease etc from building it, but what would you recommend for a good chain lube and for cleaning/lubing the forks ?

creamegg
    Free Member

Squirt of fork juice or similar on stanchions and seals before a ride, also to reverb if you have one. My forks get used 3 to 4 times a week and still look like new 3 years in with minimal service.

For the chain i prefer dry lube, even through winter, think its finish line im using at the moment.

rucknar
    Free Member

When researching, i’ve found a lot of conflicting advice on the correct grease to use.

Personally…

Coppergrease – I use this on things like seatposts and occasionally bolts that have a habit of seizing.
    Finish Line Teflon grease – Good multi-purpose grease i use for pedal threads, wheel axle bolt-through thingie majigs and pretty much everything else including VPP linkage.

Stay away from lithium based grease products as they can damage seals in suspension etc.
    For chain lube i use Finish Line Cross Country Wet Lube, just don’t put too much on and leave it forever as it does collect a lot of dirt.

sgn23
    Free Member

Finish line wet lube seems to stay on quite well in the winter and then I shift to Muc Off Ceramic (Wet) for the summer as it holds the dirt less.
    I don’t lube my fork seals much, but on the odd occasion I use a dab of left over Fox Float Fluid.

matt_outandabout

I use juice lubes fork juice – it really does seem to make the forks more supple.
    I also use either Muc off wet lube (most of the year) or finish line dry stuff if it is dusty. Both bought as they were cheap in the sale. 😉

martymac

i use a silicone spray on fork stanchions and shock. (almost every ride)
    putoline chain wax on drivetrain.
    copperslip on things that are likely to seize.
    if usng a silicone spray, you dont want it anywhere near your brakes, it will ruin the pads.

wiggles
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, will pick up some fork juice and some finish line chain lube to start with I think.

simondbarnes

Fork Juice is excellent on stanchions. I prefer a lube that doesn’t pick up as much crap as finish line xc does so use Juice Lubes Viking Juice.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Another vote for Juice Lubes in general, I use Fork product and also their chain lube – Viking one for autumn/winter and spring with finish line white lightening for summer. I used to use finish line wet but it does pick up lots if gunk although it works well. Then gt85 on shifters / mech and frame it I want it all shiny. As a minimum I clean and lube forks and chain/cogs front and rear every ride.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘lube me up’ is closed to new replies.