Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Lube me up
  • organic355
    Free Member

Just bought some GT85 (WD40 type stuff) to lubricate my gear cable outers, but the bloke in the shop says not to use it on your chain.

So what greases/lubes are appropriate and for where?….on a bike 🙂

Teflon, copper, lithium, ptfe? where should you and shouldnt you use?

Lummox

i used gt85 on my chain for years, used as a frequently applied summer dry lube it was fine as it evaporates off leaving a coat of teflon behind, i've been using a dry lube from a bottle this summer and it's been hard to tell the difference. Gt85 is no good as a winter lube though as the weather will just wash it away far too quickly, for winter/wet weather i use finish line wet lube which has been brilliant.

For bearings i use a grease like shimano's or a high temperature axle grease, worth getting a small bike grease gun, most of the tubes of grease screw straight on.

cables etc gt85

discs – rubbing alcohol or disc brake cleaner, prevention is better than cure so ideally remove wheels from bike brfore squirting gt85 or wd40 about.

Thats my opinion, and has served me well for years

glenp
    Free Member

I use it on my chain, and nothing bad has happened.

Bloke in shop cautions against cheap lube. Hmm, wonder why?

grumm
    Free Member

I agree with Lummox

DezB
    Free Member

I prefer to use something that is designed for the job

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

I have only ever used GT85 on my chain…. Just give it a spray before a ride and also after I have cleaned it after a ride… If needed of course.

Whenever I have used 'proper' lubes I have always had sticky issues where the chain just grabs all the muck and keeps it on the chain.

And I will not change! Old dog and all that.

DezB
    Free Member

Whenever I have used 'proper' lubes I have always had sticky issues where the chain just grabs all the muck and keeps it on the chain

Ah, but you're talking about Finish Line there of course.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

Finish line was an early culprit yes!!!! Then that white lightening shite! 😯

grumm
    Free Member

the chain just grabs all the muck and keeps it on the chain.

Generally only does that when you put too much on and don't wipe off the excess like it tells you to.

organic355
    Free Member

Finish line was an early culprit yes!!!! Then that white lightening shite

Why are you putting cider on your chain?

fbk
    Free Member

I've started using "Squirt" (I was sent a free sample 🙂 ) and I've been really impressed. It's more of a chain "wax" than oil so you need to apply it to a clean chain the night before and allow it to soak in & dry. It does seem to do the job though – even in the Sh1t we're riding in at the moment. No mud/grease build up either 🙂

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

ha ha thought it was a little like paint stripper when it went on!

Oh and Grumm…. I always wiped down my chain after putting on the special stuff. In fact saw a 'mechanics' bike just the other night and his back rim is covered in lube and his chain looks like it has just been run through a crap machine! Mine on the other hand looks nice and shiny. 😆

I think the key is keep it clean!

woffle
    Free Member

GT85 as water displacer on the drive-chain and it also acts as light teflon lube on cables etc. Then either Chainline Wet / Rock'n'Roll Extreme on the chain / pivot points on mech etc dependent on the conditions. Also try and regrease pedals / cable ends etc when the bike gets a proper clean…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Lube me up’ is closed to new replies.