Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Lube
  • scratch
    Free Member

Been using Wet Finish Line for around 15 years, I may have used White Lightning once spring 1998 maybe…

Have there been any great advancements in the world of lubrication over the last decade or so?

Fitted a new drivetrain to the daily commuter (road) the finish line’s OK but tends to turn the whole lot in to a sludgy black mess over a couple of weeks.

crazy-legs

Wet lube does that, I only ever use it on hub internals, never on the drivetrain because of that.
    Use dry lube and just re-lube more frequently, it doesn’t gum the whole lot up in black gunk.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Try squirt I’ve been using it and it seems OK. Don’t have to degrease the chain just put more squirt on. It washes off eventually but it’s pretty decent.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Putoline motorcycle chain wax. A fraction of the price, stays on the chain a long time, does not pick up excessive dirt, a filthy stinky faff to apply.

My chains now get lubed every hundred miles on the xc bike used all winter and a couple of times a year on the commuter

My £18 tin has now been used for a year or more on 5 bikes and is still only 1/4 used – and my chain life is several times as long as when using finishline.

I am evangelical about this stuff but I know scienceofficer of this forum did not find it so good. I will never go back

scratch
    Free Member

Got to be honest I’ve been the type to just run everything into the ground on the commuter, never gets cleaned, degreasing?! bucket of hot water in the spring maybe.

But new year, new drivetrain and all that, I’ll try the dry type, have a look at Squirt/Putoline, general better care too!

sv

I use the Finish Line dry wax, the silver/white bottle. It’s very easy to use, works well and just add more to clean/relube.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I use the Finish Line Wet stuff, it’s fine for me

cubemeup
    Free Member

the best two out there imo is jucie lubes and shimano wet lube

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Using Juice lubes wet.Seems to last better than the Finish line wet,That seems very thin.
    I also use Chain-L,very good and lasts ages.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

If you have the time to apply it properly then Chain-L No.5. It is not a simple case of squirting it on though, but once done lasts for longer than anything else.

Or go the other way, light lube which you re-apply over the top every ride.

neilforrow

Using Juice lubes wet.Seems to last better than the Finish line wet,That seems very thin.

+1

i like their ceramic lube too…

road.cc (stws sister site) did a review on it and loved it… check it out:
    http://road.cc/content/review/25057-juice-lubes-chain-juice-wet-lube[quote]The marketing blurb for this lube is remarkably plain – “Chain Juice Wet is a wet conditions chain lube which does what a wet lube should – it stays on your chain and keeps lubricating in wet conditions. Simple.” Which is a nice change from the usual flowery guff that lube sellers use to hawk their wares. In return I’ll be equally plain. This is the best lube I’ve used. Ever.

Verdict

Superb no-nonsense lube. The best I’ve tested so far.[/quote]

and
    http://road.cc/content/review/27574-juice-lubes-ceramic-juice

scratch
    Free Member

Cool, thanks all, as for degreasing…white spirit and a jam jar?

Simon-E

as for degreasing…white spirit and a jam jar?

Noooooo!!!

Don’t do it. Quick way to kill a chain – you just strip every last trace of grease from between the plates, which you can’t replace.

Northwind

Simon E – Member

“Don’t do it. Quick way to kill a chain – you just strip every last trace of grease from between the plates, which you can’t replace. “

Completely disagree with this, I clean all my chains regularily this way and they last a lot longer than they did by any other cleaning method.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Northwind +1.

This is a topic I’ve spent much time contemplating and investigating.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Lube’ is closed to new replies.