Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ltd company for short-term contract?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Follow-up to a thread I started last week

Prospective employer is stating that they will only contract with me via my own ltd company which currently I don’t have

Contract could be as little as 3 weeks or as long as 6 months

I’m not pursuing any other contract roles, only perm, so ltd company is unlikely to be needed for any other purpose in near future

Apart from the relatively small cost of setting the company up – if the contract does end up being only 3 weeks is the existence of the ltd company likely to cause me headaches for much longer?

hammyuk
    Free Member

nope – you can wind it up at any point.

Del

umbrella corporation an option?
    seems like a hassle for 3 weeks work.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

They said no umbrella option

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’d be asking for assurances then as to duration and £

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

There will be a contract stating initial duration and day rate

BigJohn

Just make up a name. Make up some invoice templates and give him your bank details. Who will find out?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

😆

br
    Free Member

Just make up a name. Make up some invoice templates and give him your bank details. Who will find out?

Bank Account won’t be in company name, for one…

You’ve a choice, bill through a Limited company or don’t work for them – your choice.

Do you know anyone with a Limited company who’d let you sub-contract through them? This though may fail your customers compliance checking, plus if they’ve not the right Insurance in place etc.

tbh You really need to talk to someone who knows exactly the right thing to do, rather than asking us who are only offering free/unqualified advice and don’t care whether you’ll create liabilities/problems for yourself.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks b r – yes I have spoken to an accountant that was recommended by the recruitment agent (suspect there is some kind of kick back operating there) but will speak to an “independent” accountant as well

hammyuk
    Free Member

You can set a company up in less than 30mins online via companies house or any one of a number of sites for about £30.
    Just do that, get a bank account in about the same time with whoever you bank with – they all do SME free for the 1st year ones.

br
    Free Member

You can set a company up in less than 30mins online via companies house or any one of a number of sites for about £30.

While you can get the company setup in hours the VAT Number seems to take forever (+10 days) now to come through, when it use to be hours as well. Not sure about bank accounts but there is a lot more compliance these days – probably easiest to go with whoever you bank with personally.

hammyuk
    Free Member

True br – but for the OP as long as he can state the name and no. for now it should dig him out of a hole.
    Besides – no point registering for VAT unless he is going to go over the £70k mark unless theres things he specifically needs to reclaim against.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ltd company for short-term contract?’ is closed to new replies.