Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Loweswater
  • bonjeroo
    Free Member

Good afternoon all,

I’m going to a friend’s wedding in Loweswater mid May and would love to do some riding while I’m in the Lakes. Can anyone recommend some trails around there?

I’ve had a look online and have some ideas but nothing like a personal recommendation.

thanks,

Bonj

superdan

There are some semi cheeky trails and a bridleway in Lanthwaite woods, and mikewsmith will be along any second to recommend his former favoritist ever local loop, up Fangs Brow, along the bridleway above Holme Wood and down to Watergate Farm.

Whinlatter is close, like pedalable with a hangover close from there.

Drop me an email if you want some more targeted advice.

We went to a nice wedding in the village hall near the Kirkstile last summer. This is a good excuse to break out the video I made:
    [video]http://vimeo.com/170378308[/video]

pdw
    Free Member

I put together a page on this for my mother’s website:

Cycle routes

Now that we’ve got kids, I’m usually pushed for time and will either just hit Whinlatter or drive to either Keswick or Honister for an early morning Borrowdale Bash.

If you fancy a big day of carrying your bike, you can ride to the far end of Buttermere and do the four passes loop which is a great day out as long as you have the right expectations.

Another favourite is the Lonscale Fell loop (Keswick to Threlkeld, then follow the BW past the Blencathra Centre towards Skiddaw House, then back behind Latrigg to Keswick), although I’ve not done it since the bridges fell down on the railway path and I don’t know what the alternative via Brundholme is like.

Don’t bother with the tempting looking BW from Loweswater west of Mellbreak: it’s a bog, and the BW to the side of Buttermere is very dull and always busy.

senorj

You have to do fangs brow.
    Hidden gem IMO ,short though ..
    You can make a bigger loop combining fun at ennerdale,look at the map for bway running past floutern tarn towards crummock.
    You can get to it via “dead end” bway from Kirkstile inn. You will get wet feet .
    Come back from ennerdale via cogra moss & l’aal hike a bike up Lamplugh fell to Blake fell and ride to burnbank fell , then pick a sheep track down to the loweswater.
    Or ,along crummock buttermere shore and carry up scarth gap pass and down to ennerdale.
    (I prefer floutern bway tbh and add a lap of ennerdale before cogra moss). Have fun , it’s beautiful and quiet.
    Sorry for typos etc I’m post op. Ha.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Loweswater’ is closed to new replies.