Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • loweswater
  • drew

Staying near Cockermouth and planning a day out tomorrow with a family walk in the morning but hoping to get a ride in in the afternoon. Anybody know of any natural trails in the Loweswater area that are worth doing.

willy
    Free Member

if ur wanting them man made trails ur not too far from that new stuff at whinlatter if not then…. ive done scarth gap pass, honister pass coming down into wharnscale bottom and black sail none of the really join but all in my opinion are awesome if you can include them in some kinda route, however all hike a bike to the top… and then very techy down.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You could take the BW south and over Floutern Tarn into Ennerdale to Scarth Gap and down to Buttermere.

drew

Unfortunately I fell off yestewrday and banged my knee so hike a biking needs to be kept to a minimum altjough I’ve had my eye on the descent from Honister for a while. Simon is that the bridleway that runs along Mosedale ,turns to the west and passes north of Floutern Tarn or the one that seems to end a km short of it? I’d spotted them on the map but have never walked or ridden them so didn’t know if it was worth doing or not. Presumabley the plan would be to follow the bridleway up Ennerdale to Scarth Gap. Have you ridden this Simon as I’m wondering about how long it would take us.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

yes up Mosedale and along Ennerdale. I’ve ridden up from Buttermere, not Loweswater, and have only been up Scarth Gap from the Buttermere side, but so long ago I’ve forgotten what it was like. Some people in the club rode it 2 years ago and reported the DH to Buttermere as good but busy with walkers. I suspect some pushing up Floutern and also Scarth Gap from Ennerdale.

drew

Thanks, the weather looks good for tomorrow so there’s going to be loads of walkers on the fells so this may be better saved for another day. Looks like Whinlatter may be getting another visit. We did the North loop on friday and I thought it wasn’t bad at all.

garnyam
    Free Member

You could start at the top of Fangs Brow, follow b/way that runs above Loweswater then back of Melbreak down to B/mere. Could then road it back or do Scarth Gap, but it is hike-a-bike, good descent though. Depends how long you want to be out.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Looks like Whinlatter may be getting another visit.

The Bog Trotters are in Whinlatter on Sunday 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘loweswater’ is closed to new replies.