Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Lowest stack saddle?
  • s-keeper

I’m not a tall guy but like my bike long. I have a medium YT Capra and an 18″ Titus Fireline Evo, both with 125mm KS Levs. I don’t particularly want to go to a shorter dropper post, hence I need to run short saddles. The saddle that came with the YT Capra is great, however I bought another (SDG Duster MTN) for the hardtail and it was much higher stack – it seems YT supply a bespoke SDG which has the thickness of the Duster P but with a tough outer cover like the Duster MTN. Anyway, does anyone know of a similarly low stack saddle I could try, but at least has some kind of padding on it for long days in the saddle (i.e. not an all-carbon one!)

Cheers,
    Andy

thejesmonddingo

What’s the difference in stack height? I don’t know of a manufacturer who quotes them,you may need a good shop and a ruler.

thejesmonddingo

Sorry,I may have misunderstood,do you mean length rather than height?

Junkyard
    Free Member

nah they must mean height so essentially heght from rails to seat [ arse contact point] I guess

I have no idea if anyone would state such a measure nor have i any idea what the variation is

thejesmonddingo

Looking at pictures of the Duster mtn and p side by side,there’s no big obvious difference.

s-keeper

thejesmonddingo, that’s what I thought too, so I bought one. Had to send it back after it works out miles higher than the YT’s Duster.

I asked the question because no manufacturer quotes stack. A few months ago I was concerned a medium Capra would be too big for me (even after swapping out the 150mm reverb) but when it came its saddle was almost a couple cm lower than the Charge Spoons I use. Now I moved from a 16″ to 18″ hardtail frame, it fits ok with the YT saddle and thick pedals. I was wondering if there was an ever lower option before I just buy a Duster P.

emanuel
    Free Member

selle italia SLR is lowest I’ve found.SL is nearly as low and much cheaper.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thicker pedals and shoes?

twisty

I run SLR superflow on my Tri bike, it is a comfy saddle. As and added bonus I’ve found I can store a road tube and pump inbetween the saddle rails too.

Bolt

Try shorter cranks!

SirHC

Best option is to go to a few good bike shops with a ruler.

SDG circuit is pretty low, but is also quite uncomfortable!

gazzyfizzle
    Free Member

How odd, I received my Medium Capra last week, and I’ve just started googling about the height of the SDG Duster on the Capra.

I’m 5ft 6.5in, which is about 168-169cm. I’ve been really freaking out about between the Small and Medium Capra, and bought a Medium last week, and put the 35mm stem on. Length wise, it’s perfect, with my preferred stubby stem (I used to ride DH, so I like the close bars).

The bike feels great length wise, and although the standover is ‘snug’ on my dangleberries, most bikes I try are snug. The medium is actually a few mm lower than the Small for standover, because of the squat frame on the small.

Despite all of this the dropper is way too long @ 150mm.

The seat tube length on the small is 400mm. The seat tube length on the medium is 450mm. 5cm is a quite a big jump in size between Small and Medium. I’ve ‘really’ considered whether cutting the seat tube down 2-3cm would be completely stupid?

I’ve measured out and it looks like I’ll need a 100mm dropper, or a 125mm and a shorter saddle, as the ‘height’ of the SDG Duster saddle seems quite excessive compared to other brands. However, the most annoying thing is, no-one really quotes the saddle height in the dimensions, only the width and length.

So yeah, I’m jumping on this bandwagon!

s-keeper

gazzyfizzle, how odd indeed – I’m saying the YT SDG Duster is shorter than other brands I’ve tried, not taller. Maybe the new Capra comes with a Duster MTN rather than customised P? Anyway, you might also want to consider a 125mm KS Lev – I bought mine because it has a 5mm shorter stack than an equivalent Reverb. And I like the southpaw lever better.

gazzyfizzle
    Free Member

Out of interest buddy, how tall are you?

honourablegeorge

gazzyfizzle – Member

5cm is a quite a big jump in size between Small and Medium.

Two inches is a firly standard increase in sixe – 15″ small, 17″ medium and 19″ large were the usual ballpark back in the day

ahwiles
    Free Member

as above, 165mm cranks will buy you a centimeter, and be kinder to your knees aswell.

you can even buy 155mm cranks, for a 2cm boost. linky-dink

(my amazoninan 5foot wife uses 140mm cranks)

s-keeper

Shortening cranks could help, but in a different way (only when pedalling!). I’ve already tried 165mm and 170mm, 165mm I hated but 170mm is better than 175mm for me.

gazzyfizzle, 171cm. With the Lev I can use any saddle on the Capra, its for the 18″ Fireline I currently need the YT saddle (and thick Wellgo pedals).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Lowest stack saddle?’ is closed to new replies.