Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Lowest spec Sram cranks for the direct mount rings?
  • Gotama
    Free Member

The sram website isn’t the most helpful so anyone on here know? They’re to go on a commuter so I don’t want them to be too spendy but I do want the direct mount as I want to use an absolute black 40t oval ring. This is for mtb cranks.

benpinnick

Its a bit tricky as the SRAM cranks only basically come in 3 flavours just rejigged a million times. I think you’d be best with either a GX 1400 crank, X1 DM cranks, or Descendant DM cranks, all of which I _think_ may be the same arms, different graphics. The spider/ring may vary but you dont care if you’re just taking them off anyway. (GX1400 being the cheapest option I believe)

Gotama
    Free Member

Ok, great, thanks Ben.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    benpinnick

I tell a lie, the cheapest option (based on trade price not what you can find it for) is the descendent crank, which is a 1200 DM series crank.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

When I went direct mount a couple of years ago X9 was the lowest level that had removable cranks. I suspect since then there might have been some trickle down of components to the lower level, but X5 and X7 cranks definitely did not have removable spiders.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I think you need to go pretty high up the range to get a direct mount chainset from Sram . You normally only need a direct mount chainset if you want to go smaller than 30 teeth on the front which you obviously won’t need so just buy a cheap Sram Chainset and get the 40 tooth Absolute Black chainring in the correct BCD .

honourablegeorge

Raceface Aeffect is a great cheap option for standard BBs if you can get a suitable ring

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Lowest spec Sram cranks for the direct mount rings?’ is closed to new replies.