• This topic has 19 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • lowering blood pressure in 2 weeks anixety related
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Been really stressed last few days, went to the docs about another matter which was fine, Doc took my blood pressure 5 times as it was reading high.
    Long and short of it go back in 2 weeks for another reading.

Readings are irrelevant at this point, don’t want to hear horror stories either.

In the past I have noticed that the old fashioned way (pump by hand)always gives a better reading for me, could it be the electronic one giving false readings ?

I am feeling anxious/stressed (told information about my mother 20 years after she died) at the moment so was bound to be higher.

Not ruling out white coat syndrome, never had it in the past so don’t see it as a factor at the moment.

So how can I lower/get it lower before next reading ?

Exercise/ change of diet/breathing exercises ?

Become less stressed ?

Bachs rescue remedy ?

Thanks in advance , please no horror stories !

MSP

You shouldn’t really be trying to artificially reduce the reading, if in 2 weeks time your reading is still high then talk to your doctor about the underlying reasons and how you can combat the problem properly.

If you just feel yo need to reduce some anxiety I have had decent experiences with st john’s wort for occasional times. However I really really wouldn’t use them just to get a blood pressure reading down.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

The BP is the symptom of a problem you have already identified.

You need to work on your stress, and your reaction to it. Have you the means around you to do that?

Flaperon

TBH it strikes me from reading your post that you’re so wound up by this you’re going to get an inaccurate reading when you go back anyway.

Your post reads like you’ve had about 15 cups of coffee (the random boldness, the spaces before punctuation, the choppy nature etc) and to be honest you’d be far better worrying about the other things in your life and getting them sorted than the blood pressure measurement at the doctors.

Nip into Boots on a quiet day and ask them to measure it there. White coat syndrome is so apparent I wonder why doctors take a blood pressure measurement at all.

Even if it’s high, small life-style changes or drugs with minimal side effects will sort it out in no time.

wwaswas

you can get blood pressure monitors relatively cheaply.

They may not be accurate in a medical sense but they will indicate a trend up or down over a period of time.

Would avoid the white coat thing too.

Probably best not to over use them though…

lilchris
    Free Member

Give blood.

Helped me reduce mine from dangerous, to just serious!

Drac

Reduce alcohol intake, get plenty exercise, get lots of rest, try to relax don’t get worked up about it and a sensible diet. If need be take time off work to get yourself sorted I had to resort to that a few years ago due to stress and depression believe me I never take time off so wasn’t easy for me to do but it was the biggest thing that helped.

You shouldn’t really be trying to artificially reduce the reading,

What’s artificial about reducing his BP and why is it not a good idea to lower?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

MSP – Member

You shouldn’t really be trying to artificially reduce the reading, if in 2 weeks time your reading is still high then talk to your doctor about the underlying reasons and how you can combat the problem properly.

I don’t want to artificially reduce, and if there is a problem then yes of course I want to rectify it.

Flaperon

Written very quickly at work !

and to be honest you’d be far better worrying about the other things in your life and getting them sorted than the blood pressure measurement at the doctors.

This is true…

konagirl
    Free Member

Yes it’s very probable that your blood pressure is higher than normal if you are feeling a bit stressed / wound up.

But put it this way, if your blood pressure is high then take the long-term view – you will want to do something about it. So why would you want to try to mask high blood pressure at your next appointment? As you have said, ideally you need to not worry about it and go to the appointment with as little stress as possible, including not rushing to get there in traffic etc. Your blood pressure is also affected by how hydrated you are. Then if it is still high, your GP can recommend ways to try to reduce it, which might include medication to begin with.

Some of the more simple things are reducing salt intake, losing weight (if that is an issue) and more exercise (again, may not be a problem if you are already fit). I would think if your blood pressure is still high they will also check your cholesterol levels and so on. Think of it positively, you will get an overall check up so you can deal with any ‘indicators’ before they become a problem.

As you implied, try to manage your stress levels and don’t worry about the GP appointment.

konagirl
    Free Member

If need be take time off work to get yourself sorted

This is also very good advice.

MSP

What’s artificial about reducing his BP and why is it not a good idea to lower?

His stated goal seemed to be to reduce his BP for the next reading not for the long term health benefits. I was just suggesting taking a longer term view rather than concentrating on the next visit in 2 weeks time.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

So why would you want to try to mask high blood pressure at your next appointment?

For the record I don’t want to mask my reading !

konagirl you speak sense, thanks

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

In the past (last year) reading was fine, so I guess I want it to be fine again…if there is a problem then of course id deal with it

geoffj

Lose weight , eat well, exercise, get enough sleep and mindfulness may help.
    Good luck.

tomkerton
    Free Member

For white coat syndrome, go to boots and get a good quality home monitor.

I have to have a medical every year for work, used to get problems due to the uncomfortable feeling of the squeezing which led to worry about the feeling and result etc etc when I was totally fit and heathy. I just got under he numbers to pass my medical.

Now I do a test every Monday at home, not to monitor the numbers, to familiarise myself with he feeling. Medical Now no problem.

This will allow you & the doc to find out the actual number and take appropriate action if required.

Good luck,pal.

Drac

His stated goal seemed to be to reduce his BP for the next reading not for the long term health benefits. I was just suggesting taking a longer term view rather than concentrating on the next visit in 2 weeks time.

I’m taking a wild guess here that he wants it down for then because of the benefits plus I reckon he means long term not just then. In fact I can’t even think how you came up with that conclusion.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I’m taking a wild guess here that he wants it down for then because of the benefits plus I reckon he means long term not just then. In fact I can’t even think how you came up with that conclusion.

this ^

thanks 😉

IA

If you’re anxious and getting a high reading they might give you a meter to take away with you and record a few readings in the comfort of your own home without the stress – they did for my partner.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Update

Had BP taken today by two different nurses 1st one used digital machine and my BP was sky high again, so I asked if she could use the old fashioned type, she said go sit in waiting room calm down etc, then saw another nurse who took three readings with old type of monitor and it read as 136 over 88 which she was happy with.

Apparently the cuff is to small on electronic type…

Drac

Excellent news and yes the wrong cuff size will give an iffy reading.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘lowering blood pressure in 2 weeks anixety related’ is closed to new replies.