Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Lower spec Giant TCR or higher spec something from Planet X ?
  • eshershore
    Free Member

@igm

I’ve owned a lot of Specialized bikes including several carbon fibre road bikes (Tarmacs) and carbon fibre mountain bikes (Stumpjumpers)

they have a clever strategy in that people want the top tier (S-Works) but can’t / won’t pay the premium and choose a model several down – typically using the same mold, but actually made in a different factory (less expensive) with a lower grade of carbon and higher ratio of resin/carbon

its been a thing in the bike industry for some years that Specialized won’t actually tell you what their “Fact 9”, “Fact 10” labeling actually means, they won’t admit which brand of carbon or resin they use, whereas some brands will proudly tell you they use Toray

if you’ve ridden production frames and then S-Works frames of the same model, there is a very noticeable difference in the ride quality and a big weight difference. I was surprised how heavy my last Tarmac (SL4 Elite) frame was, nearly 1300 gm for a naked 54cm. It had great handling / geometry but felt quite soft under power and a bit wooden up climbs

Giant do not have the “sexy” S-Works brand and the marketing nous of companies like Specialized, but their carbon fibre manufacturing is really second to none, even on their more affordable models.

they use full Toray carbon on all their frames (they make their own carbon fibre cloth in house from Toray filament, rather than buying in pre-impreg) and use their own in-house developed resin, whereas many brands will mix cheaper carbon with elements of Toray to save money.the fact they own their factories means they are competitive on price for bikes, despite their frame manufacturing being relatively expensive due to the quality

Kryton57

Giant do not have the “sexy” S-Works brand and the marketing nous of companies like Specialized, but their carbon fibre manufacturing is really second to none, even on their more affordable models.

they use full Toray carbon on all their frames (they make their own carbon fibre cloth in house from Toray filament, rather than buying in pre-impreg) and use their own in-house developed resin, whereas many brands will mix cheaper carbon with elements of Toray to save money.the fact they own their factories means they are competitive on price for bikes, despite their frame manufacturing being relatively expensive due to the quality

Although this is true, I believe Giant use a different layup/carbon on the SL models, reflected in the price.

mikekay
    Free Member

I’m a full novice road biker (mtber for 30years +) still not really my thing but it’s handy for training, my question here is everyone is saying go for the TCR because it’s so much better than a Planet X, but what is better ? Build quality ? Strength ? geometry ?. and what is that based on?

not a fan of planet x but if price needs to be low why not ?

Kryton57

Essentially mikekay PX is a budget brand aimed at a budget market. If your prepared to put up with the reported lack of customer service, variable pricing, some flex in the frame perhaps some lowering of quality – some or all of which you may not experience or may not bother you – go for it.

Giant are a large reptutitive brand and some argue the leading brand in volume frame design as their establishments are also used by others. They tend to push out lots of high quality frames a decent prices vs the other volume providers, win lots of awards and receive fantastic reviews with good customer service.

As an analogy some are happy to fly with Ryanair, some BA, and the longer you fly the wider the quality gap in your choice becomes – you pays your money… etc.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

and what is that based on?

Marketing

Planet X make bikes that’re just fine. Not the best, nor the worst. Plenty of competitive riders race them to a decent level aswell. They work. It’s easy to get brainwashed by all the mumbo jumbo.

If you’re the sort of rider who needs a bike with “special” geometry such as a tall headtube, then it’s unlikely any difference between Planet X and Brand X will make any difference to you.

Do what the OP did, buy the bike you like the look of best, or that can offer a local service

eshershore
    Free Member

@Kryton

the SL models use higher grade Toray filament and carbon nano infused high spec resin, as well as more advanced manufacturing (fusion process and continous fibre technology) and the more obvious integrated seat post design

nathans77
    Free Member

On my phone I can see a 2015 bike on the Giant website showing as having the size I am interested in “in stock” – how do I find out which of the stores has it in?

Might be being dense or the full website might be different?

eshershore
    Free Member

@nathans77

site does not work too great on mobile, its always worth trying it on a desktop device

if you are on the Giant UK website it shows that Giant UK have it in their warehouse as “free stock” (i.e. up for grabs through any of their dealers)

if you are on a “brand store” website (i.e. Giant Camden) it shows that Giant UK have it in their warehouse to be shipped and then collected from Camden, or in Giant’s Camden store as ‘consignment stock’ – these are bikes actually owned by Giant UK and placed into that store for display/sale purposes

the issue with consignment stock is that its tied to a particular store by frame number, and not easily moved between stores

chakaping
    Free Member

what is better ? Build quality ?

Hard to substantiate but Giant are widely regarded as among the best in the biz with carbon and their frames are very slick.

Strength ?

A Giant “Advanced” frame will offer similar strength at a lower weight to the basic offerings from PX, Ribble etc. They’re also surprisingly competitive on price these days IMO.

geometry ?

A little bit.

For me it’s a combination of the above – with ride quality being the main thing. When I swap from my Ribble to my Defy Advanced I often spend the first mile or so checking whether I’ve got a flat tyre.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is it possible to order giant bikes from Germany? There’s a bit of a saving to be had right now given the euro exchange rate.

igm

A point on PX Pro Carbon flex I mentioned. I’m 16st and I struggle to get suits because 25 years of rugby do certain things to your thighs.
    Others may not experience flex.
    The RT-58 is better though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

igm – Member
    A point on PX Pro Carbon flex I mentioned. I’m 16st and I struggle to get suits because 25 years of rugby do certain things to your thighs.

One of the spanner monkeys at my LBS is a full on race whippet. Seriously quick, on and off road. His entire body weighs less than my left leg. His verdict – Planet Flex.

seabass
    Free Member

I’ve got a Viner/Px cross bike.
    Full carbon, cx1, tubeless wheels with tune hubs, pacenti rims and stock tubeless tyres.
    Amazing spec. and super stiff frame.

Best value race bike out there I reckon…

djglover
    Free Member

Inspired by this thread I just bought this, bargain!

http://www.cyclesense.co.uk/m1b0s6p16780/GIANT-TCR-Advanced-Pro-1-2015

@ £1,389, was their last one too

Kryton57

Blimey a Propel Ultegra for £1200 – if only I was a few inches taller….

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Lower spec Giant TCR or higher spec something from Planet X ?’ is closed to new replies.