• This topic has 17 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Lower Hope cup (semi) – Go from current step down to tapered..?
  • hora
    Free Member

Frame is tapered- currently running a Hope headset that enables a stepdown on the bottom cup to my std 1 1/8 forks.

New forks are tapered. Can I keep the same bottom cup and simply add a conversion (smaller race??)- or do I need to stump up for a different cup etc?

RustyMac
    goldenwonder
    Free Member

Depends which way it’s been converted & headtube design. You can either use an internal cup to make it work with 1 1/8 or an external for 1 1/2 & an adaptor crown race.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Page 3 of the PDF above shows all the options.

Straight steerer in a tapered headtube will have an adaptor (HS:136) fitted to carry the larger crown race.

hora
    Free Member

My lower cup is bottom cup D if this helps? 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

You need a different lower cup and crown race. The lower cup you have is zero stack, you can’t run a tapered fork without an external lower cup, the lower portion of the steerer is simply too fat to sit inside the headtube.

nodrog2
    Free Member

If you currently have cup D fitted then you’ll need cup F to run a tapered fork on your frame.

timmys

I don’t understand how you can have cup D if your headtube is tapered.

You should have cup E (or possibly G) and using HS136 to make your straight forks fit.

To use a tapered fork the process should be;
    – remove straight fork along with HS136 adaptor and crown race
    – take crown race off adaptor and put on tapered forks.
    – shove tapered forks up your arse into tapered head tube.

neilwheel
    Free Member

So you must have a straight headtube then?

hora
    Free Member

Currently have straight steerer.

Sure its a Cup D but the chart linked says it isnt?!!.

Rang hope and he said remove an adaptor and the race will work on tapered too. Thats confused me a wee bit.

timmys

Rang hope and he said remove an adaptor and the race will work on tapered too. Thats confused me a wee bit.

Sounds as though they are telling you to do exactly what I spelled out for you above.

No idea what is confusing you.

neilwheel
    Free Member

As above:

Is the frame headtube tapered, actually physical wider at one end compared to the other?

Or is it straight and able to fit a taper steerer fork?

timmys

Is the frame headtube tapered, actually physical wider at one end compared to the other?

Or is it straight and able to fit a taper steerer fork?

It might be better to ask what the bike is and work it out for ourselves in order to minimise any “user” errors.

chillidave
    Free Member

It certainly could be a D, I’m running one on my tapered El Guapo to run a 1-1/8″ fork. If it is a D then you’ll need a new lower cup F.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Look at the lower cup from underneath, if you can see an adaptor then you just need to swap the crown race over to your new forks, as described above.

No adaptor then you need a new lower cup and crown race which will be supplied together.

Order the correct cup according to internal diameter of headtube, ideally as measured or taken from frame specifications/common knowledge.

hora
    Free Member

Its a Santa Cruz Butcher

neilwheel
    Free Member

Yes you need a new lower cup and crown race.

hora
    Free Member

Update: Yep Hope cup F. Ordered Thurs from Merlin and fitted last night.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Lower Hope cup (semi) – Go from current step down to tapered..?’ is closed to new replies.