Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • lower back pain
  • MarginWalker
    Free Member

Over the past year or so I’ve been getting lower back pain when riding. It’s particularly noticeable when riding on hardpack surfaces such as Kirroughtree. I ride a Spesh Epic and the pain can be lessened by running the brain in soft mode but I prefer firm for climbing. Can anyone recommend any exercises to strengthen the lower back or offer advice on what may be causing the problem eg bike set up?

duntstick
    Free Member

I’ve been suffering this for a while and I find that stretching my hamstrings regularly before,during and after the ride helps.(They are really tight though)

Apparently situps/crunches help to strengthen the core(hence supporting the spine) which I’m working on aswell

lowey

Could be your too stretched out. Try a smaller stem.

JoB
    Free Member

Or it could be you’re too cramped. Try a longer stem, or go and see a sports physio who knows what they’re talking about.

hora
    Free Member

Oestopath

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Try always spinning faster using lower gears? – Should reduce stresses on lower back. Also keep rucksack weight right down. A really heavy pack while riding does it for me.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Try higher bars? Its the only thing that works for me. Deffo ditch the camelback / rucsac. they put a strain on your back when riding even if light

hora
    Free Member

Just back from the Oestopath. I have alot of stiffness in my lower back – where disc problems tend to start. I honestly do think you should give one a try. Its only 35/40quid a visit and prevention is better than future problems IMO. He said that my lower back had stiffened up and as a result my whole spine wasnt twisting/taking on all the load equally leading to potential future problems. he did alot of subtle cracking today so tonight I will feel like Ive been hit by thunder!

thomthumb
    Free Member

pilates will help – anyone who values there back and mobility should do it.

Bedds
    Free Member

A strengthening exercise which may help is to lie on the floor face down with your hands out in front of you and then lift both your arms and your feet at the same time (to arch your back backwards) do it slowly and hold for a second before resting..

I’d suggest searching the web for core strengthening exercises though, I don’t think it’s advised to only work on your stomach..

good luck though, hope it rectifies over time 🙂

bent_udder
    Free Member

Try a chiropracter or osteopath – I personally prefer chiro – and see what they recommend.

Generally, cyclists have absolutely rubbish core stability and upper body strength, and this can lead to all kinds of malarkey.

I have a screwed up lower back (SI joint) at the moment – it returns every few years – and chiropractic treatment helps it, as does regular pre-ride stretching. Apparently a healthy dose of Pilates, as tomthumb suggests above, is an excellent preventative measure. It’s worth seeking out a chiropracter by personal recommendation (or look for an AECC – qualified dude) and spend some money with them. If they reckon you should come back every week forever, then don’t go back. Most will treat you weekly for a couple of months *max* before you’re fixed. I usually am right after two 20 minute sessions – it’s money well spent.

ShinyRedOrange
    Free Member

I have similar issues after breaking a vertibrae racing a quad bike. I went to the physio and she gave me a big list of stretch’s and exercises and they worked really well, I don’t do them as often as I should but they were all based around core stability.

BlobOnAStick

I had a physio appointment on Monday.

He told me that cyclists tend to walk and stand like ducks (i.e. with their arses and bellies stuck out in opposite directions)

He said that the best cure is plenty of crunchies and back-strengthening exercises, but to make sure that when you walk or stand you pull your bum and stomach ‘tight’ and you stand ‘strong’ and tall.

Since then I’ve been concentrating on this, to the point now that if I stand like a udck now it feels quite uncomfortable.

And my back? It’s much better.

Ben

BlobOnAStick

Also, sometimes a saddle that’s too high causes lower back problems.

MarginWalker
    Free Member

Lads thanks for the replies/advice. I’m going to start with stretching and core buulding, then look at bike setup.

Cheers

Soup
    Free Member

Have a similar problem. My osteopath said due to having cycled for years my upper spine is used to being slightly hunched and as a result has lost flexibility. Therefore my lower back is doing all the work. This means the muscles there are tensing up to protect it. The key to my recovery has been stretching of my upper back morning and night. I lie on the sofa and arch my upper back backwards over the arm of the sofa as far as I can. Also raised my bars 1cm. Had this problem for over a year and now it gives me no issues. My physio at work gave the same diagnosis so it would seem to be correct. Feel 100 % again. Best 30 quid I have ever spent.

TooTall
    Free Member

Pilates – just had to do some as part of rehab and I will be seeking it out more in the future – really excellent for all that core strength.

Treezurt
    Free Member

If you’re going to do crunches or that exercise lying on your front and lifting your arms/legs, DON’T! At least not before going to a Pilates class. There are rights and wrong ways of doing these exercises (and the wrong way will put more strain on your weakened back). You really need to learn to hold that lower stomach in (behind the belt) when you’re doing these. It makes a difference.

andyfla
    Free Member

Have you thought of someone like Cyclefit. I had a fitting before doing the Etape last year and have very few problems with my knees and back any more. (3 sets of knee surgery and loads of previous back probs.

I found out my bike set up was way wrong and my seat was 2 or 3 cm too low.

Not cheap though

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘lower back pain’ is closed to new replies.