Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Lower back ache – consequence of shorter stem?
  • ell_tell
    Free Member

My bike originally came with a 90mm stem. I kept this for a while but it felt a little too lengthy and the steering vague, so I swapped it for a 60mm jobbie, and shortly after that some wider bars.

Since then I have also swapped the original layback post for a reverb which obviously has zero layback.

However, on my recent rides I have noticed a dull ache in my lower back, particularly when standing on the pedals and descending. Riding along the flat is fine, but I have also noticed I feel like I have more weight on the bars through my hands. Hope that makes sense, but this is more difficult a feeling to describe.

Is it possible the back ache can attributed to loosing too much reach with the short stem and zero layback post?

drofluf
    Free Member

Yes, using a longer stem on my road bike eased some back pain. So I expect, depending on relative sizes it could also cause it.

However you’ve changed a lot of variables: stem, bars and seat post. Going to a straight post will have decreased your reach effectively shortening your stem. Similarly wider bars will effectively lengthen your stem as you’re leaning forward more. I think I’ve got the effects right? But each change will affect your reach and position.

I’d change one thing at a time, get used to riding it, see if it’s comfortable and work from there? Ass you seem to want a dropper and Oder bars I’d keep that and switch stems around

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Possible, but I doubt it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andyrm
    Free Member

Lower back pain on an MTB is often causes by weakness in the core muscles. Wider bars and shorter stem, coupled with a dropper are probably encouraging you to ride harder and so putting more strain on your core.

Before spending any money on bits etc, check out James Wilson’s free stuff on core strength and conditioning. It was a genuine game changer for me. He’s coached a certain Mr Gwin so is very much qualified in his advice.

tmb467
    Free Member

Agree with Andy here

Lower back pain when standing and too much weight on the bars is probably more to do with an inability to bend your hips properly and get your weight balanced in a shorter area

Changing stem / bars may have triggered the pain but underlying cause is core strength and immobility of hips

Stevet1
    Free Member

Alternatively (or additionally) when you shorten your reach by that much you might need to increase the rise on your bars or stem otherwise you’ll be in a weird position.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses and sorry for delayed acknowledgement.

The whole core strength thing had also crossed my mind, but seeing as I had made changes to the cockpit set up it seemed a bit coincidental to me.

I also read a post on… umm *cough cough* BikeRadar that suggested too short a stem can put you into a hunched over position, which in turn causes ligaments and muscles around the base of the spine to become overstretched.

Wasn’t sure if this was poppycock or if anyone else had experienced similar pain after moving to a short stem?

I used to use a swiss ball quite a lot, and will also check out some of the online resources for core strength exercises too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Lower back ache – consequence of shorter stem?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts