Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Low temperature Squirt
  • charliew

Recently got some low temperature Squirt from my local bike shop, however they didn’t know at what temperature you should start using it.

I’ve nearly gone through a whole bottle of the low temp stuff but it does seem pretty runny even with temperatures in single digits.

I’ve had a look at the Squirt website but couldn’t see a temperature range. Anyone know?

mrblobby
    Free Member

The ideal lube for riding in very cold weather conditions. Temperatures below or close to zero affects the particle hardness of wax, resulting in a reduction of lubricant efficiency

So would assume close to or below zero. Doubt I’d bother for UK temps (at least down south.)

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

It says on the back of the bottle. Along the lines of “close to or below freezing”

charliew

Oops 😳

Guess I was looking for numbers but that clarifies it.

Might keep a spare bottle for those snow rides but will keep on with the usual.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve had frozen chains with the standard Squirt in snowy conditions.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

sorry not sorry

iainc

I’ve been using this as an alternative recently and quite impressed so far

wickens no 3

Yak

Squirt is great, but once trails are more like rivers, it just doesn’t stay put for long enough. Currently on Holy Cow. Seems a reasonable balance of lube v cleanliness.

martinhutch

Anyone tried Smoove in bad conditions? Squirt is great but yesterday it was off the drivetrain after an hour.

Kryton57

it was off the drivetrain after an hour.

Seeing as it’s not visible, I often wonder how people know this.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Chain starts squeaking, that’s how I know the lube has stopped working.

I’ve tried squirt, fine in the dry but doesn’t last at all in the wet. Using holy cow at the moment too.

ransos
    Free Member

I find Squirt doesn’t work in the wet unless the chain is spotlessly clean when you apply it, and have allowed it to dry thoroughly.

Onzadog
    Free Member

martinhutch – Member
    Anyone tried Smoove in bad conditions? Squirt is great but yesterday it was off the drivetrain after an hour.

I switched from Squirt to Smoove and its doing much better in the wet. In fact, I’ve not done my usual winter switch to putoline yet and I might not need to.

Definitely worth a go.

martinhutch

Drivetrain noise.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ve used squirt for a few years now in all weather conditions. Even in the worst of worst conditions my drivetrain has been silent? Wouldn’t consider trying something else

scotroutes

Squirt is about effective as piss. I can’t believe folk are still buying it nor that they are happy to contaminate the trails with it.

charliew

With Squirt it is definitely all about chain prep before applying, along with leaving to dry before riding (overnight).

On long 40 km+ rides it does wear off.

Also Scotroutes it is biodegradable..?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Low temperature Squirt’ is closed to new replies.