Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Low stack height droppers?
  • thepurist

MrsP is after a dropper, but only has around 155mm of exposed (30.9) seatpost on her frame. From what I’ve seen that means that a fully inserted 100mm drop Reverb would be around 10mm higher than the current saddle & a Lev would be around 5mm higher.

Based on my experience a dropper lets you run a slightly higher ‘full height’ saddle position than a fixed post as you can set it for slightly better pedalling. That suggests that she’d probably get away with a Lev, and maybe the Reverb though I’ve read that the hose routing gets a bit compromised if run at max insertion.

Are there any other posts out there that would fit the bill?

STATO
    Free Member

155mm of exposed (30.9) seatpost on her frame

You need to measure top of seat collar to saddle rails (if thats not what you measured already)

I’ve read that the hose routing gets a bit compromised if run at max insertion.

Depends on your seatpost collar and where you place the hose guide really.

One option would be to get a reduced travel dropper, Gravity Dropper do a 2″ or 3″ version, tho their posts are generally longer (exposed section) anyway so may not help.

thepurist

Doh that’s what I meant – collar to rails is 155mm.

legend
    Free Member

Based on my experience a dropper lets you run a slightly higher ‘full height’ saddle position than a fixed post as you can set it for slightly better pedalling

Not sure I’d agree with that. Saddle up is saddle up dropper or not for me, so I wouldn’t try and get away with a longer post

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Just resurrecting this post and Ms AD might have the same issue (but because she has change frames – Prophet to Heckler and the frame height is slightly higher).

Purist – I have a Reverb and Joplin on my bikes, the Joplin has a lower stack as the “collar” is thinner. Ms AD’s current X Fusion is nearer the Reverb than the Joplin.

I was wondering if it’s possible to limit the travel on a dropper post with an internal spacer, to stop it extending fully (as with a fork). Obviously you lose some travel, but would probably be worth it.

Other options I was give was to just get on with it (ie use your bum to stop it fully extending) or make some sort of zip tie travel limiter (really?!).

Otherwise, finding a shorter post or Gravity Dropper might be the way to go.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Perhaps their frames are too big? If they only have that much post showing a smaller frame might be better? Or is it a case that womens geometry frames give less crotch clearance and a male frame??

Im not shit stirring, just thinking out loud really.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Brant suggested a few weeks ago taking 10mm off the seat tube and putting a slot in for this purpose

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I did thinking about hacking the frame, there isnt much you can take off a hecker, maybe a cm or so.

bigyinn – I had the same issue myself with a Blur LT, I went from a medium (too small for me) to a large and found that the difference in seattube length was huge, way out of proportion with other relative dimensions between the 2 sizes. Anyway, it’s done now, frames bought. It does seem to be more of an issue with women.

Anyway, here’s a few measurements for 100mm drop posts:

Reverb – 165mm
    X Fusion Hilo – 170mm
    Joplin – 165mm
    KS Lev – 157mm

(this is from saddle rails to the top of seat collar / QR when dropper is extended but inserted to maximum distance – in line with the seat tube angle).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Low stack height droppers?’ is closed to new replies.