Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • low stack headset recommendations?
  • bullit
    Free Member

Just changed frames (from an old Iron Horse mk111 to a Heckler) and about to build it up. Before ordering a new headset I wanted to check the folowing : Ive gone from an integrated headset on the Mk111 to a standard one on the Heckler and Im concerned that a Hope headset at 31mm stack height is not going to give me enough steerer tube as I had cut steerer tube on the forks so as flush with stem and 1/4 inch spacer on Mk111. I dont want to be forking out for new forks so was wondering how much lower than the top of the stem can the steerer tube safely be? – or should I be cautious and go for a lower stack headset? – something like a Crank Bros Cobalt C XC. Any advice greatly appreciated. Cheers , Colin

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I guess aslong as the top bolt of the stem clamps then its ok. Ideally 3-5mm below

ken_shields
    Free Member

Shouldn’t be more than 3mm below the top of the stem so if much more than that I’d go with the Crank Bros headset option or you could use a Headlock (would be cheaper than a new headset) if it wasn’t too much

takisawa2

As long as the top bolt is a few mm below the steerer it’ll be fine. Use the above or even add a second star nut.

Try thisanother thread

Mackem

I´m using the crank bros headset, low height, does the job, no problems.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘low stack headset recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.