Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Low Spray Commuting Tyres, do they exist?
  • franksinatra

Does anything like this exist?

I use my old Kona single speed for commuting and have mudguards on it. I quite fancy being able to quickly swap wheels for the days I want to ridi in off road but I don’t have the clearance to do this with mud guards. Does anybody make a commuting type tyre for 26in wheels that reduces spray and therefore mitigates the need for mud guards?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

You’ll get (copious) spray off anything, slick, low profile knobble, you name it.

I get this issue swapping between my 32c slicks and 35c spikes in winter. I have to run my ‘guards at full extension for clearance. Looks utterly gash when I put the slicks back in, but there is no other way unless I have the time and inclination to mess about adjusting ‘guards every other trip.

Other options would be snap-on ‘guards, like race blades. But they often don’t go big enough, and are hopeless compared to proper guards anyway. On a 26″ would a front and rear crud-esque set of ‘guards keep enough spay off you? Its often the spray off the front filling your boots which is the worst IME, and a front crud does chuff all for that.

I live with the fact my commuter isn’t the most fashionable bike around. It gets me to work.

I have, however, often wondered if I could figure out a better mudguard mounting system, so it would pop between settings.

uplink
    Free Member

I’d sort of want the tyre to move the water TBH

All you can do is redirect the spray

franksinatra

Thanks Dead Hero. As you know, any ‘real’ commuter uses nothin less that full length guards. Proper commuters are nearly always function over form.

I guess I’m looking for the impossible. Might just have to get another bike instead…….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Low Spray Commuting Tyres, do they exist?’ is closed to new replies.