• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jimw.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Low-profile bottle and cage. Talk to me
  • kayak23

I thought I’d try to use a bottle on the frame of my spangly new new medium-sized Cotic Rocket the other day and try to get some weight off my back.

I use a Camelback podium 710ml/24oz bottle and have a Spesh placcy cage.
    Although it LOOKS like there is acres of room there with the cage mounts on the underside of the top tube just in front of the seat tube….

…It is just too tight.
    It goes, just but I can’t use my shock lever and compressing the bike makes it squish the bottle more.

Does anyone know of a decent bottle and cage system that’s perhaps flatter in section? I’ve seen quite a few roadie ones marketed as ‘aero’ but they tend to be taller, not flatter obvs.

I would have liked to have fitted my cane creek db air shock but with a piggyback I’ll lose even more ‘hole’…

Any ideas?

jmatlock
    Free Member

The Fabric cageless bottle fits in there perfectly. Few Instagram posts from Cy show it to be good. I use one on my BFe because cages on an MTB make me feel sad.

kayak23

I had heard that the fabric one won’t take much abuse without rattling out?
    Are people using it in the #gnar with no problems then?

cynic-al
    Free Member

What one have yo tried? some obvs stick out more than others, a few mm may be all you need.

akira

I’ve used the fabric one with no issues, even racing on a rigid bike on a rooty course I had no issues.

jmatlock
    Free Member

It’s rock solid. Mine has never gone anywhere.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Turn the shock over and around?

kayak23

Turn the shock over and around?

Ewwwww…. 😕

Apart from looking so wrong, I’d be fiddling around for my shock lever then, although I suppose with a bottle I might be anyway.

I already often forget to put my compression lever back to gnar at the top of descents, never mind if it’s out of sight… 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KJXkLs]IMG_20160814_143751[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    Can’t really see mine either but just adjust by feel, if your needing to look then your in trouble!! Hand learns where to go

kayak23

Oh yeah, that’s just rotated. I already do that with my last bike.
    I thought you were saying turn it around horizontally too like below.

Aesthetic restrictions would not allow me to do that.. 😆

And actually, it still wouldn’t clear the shock anyway sadly.

BoardinBob

Tight fit on my specialized enduro but a SWAT cage and Spesh bottle fit with a bawhair to spare

chrishc777
    Free Member

Fabric cageless bottles can rattle off, a couple of mates lost a few bottles. We all use the Vincero one now and between us have lost one bottle, but that was my fault for not putting it back on properly, and it was at Mega…

jimw
    Free Member

I have used a Fabric bottle on my large 275 Rocket with no problems at all. it may be more effective in this position compared to those on down tubes because it is hanging on the bosses? Just a guess

Edit: the downside is that it is impossible* to put back on the move. I take a drink when stationary.

* very nearly fell into a gorse bush trying it the first time. Others may have better coordination

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Low-profile bottle and cage. Talk to me’ is closed to new replies.