Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Low Iron levels
  • ktmracer
    Free Member

Hey

I have been diagnosed with low iron levels. I had been a regular platelet donor which may have caused this.
    My Dr checked me out and all seems fine. He wants to check my levels in 3 months rather than start me on iron tablets. My energy levels have dropped off but nothing else.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with low iron?
    KTM Racer

sideshowdave
    Free Member

When I first turned veggie it was a problem for me, I give blood regularly so was tested and refused a couple of times but eating better and including lots of leafy green veg in my diet fixed it and I’ve not had problem with it since.

hunta

My missus has historically always had problems with iron. It seems it’s as much about being able to absorb it effectively as it is getting it into your system. Certain vitamins (B & C, from memory?) help with this, so you need to concentrate on that side as well.

Floradix was recommended as the best supplement to take.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BigJohn

I think I have this too. My clothes are all creased these days.

cinnamon_girl

Ferrous Fumarate tablets contain the equivalent of 106mg elemental iron. The downside is that some folk find they they upset their tummy. Available from chemist for around £4 for a box of 28. These are the best source.

For a gentle iron tablet consider Bluebonnet, another option is heme/haem products. Floradix needs to be taken twice daily.

For maximum absorption take iron with vitamin C, either in the form of orange juice or powder. Needs to be taken well away from any other meds so allow 4 hours.

jamiep
    Free Member

I’ve been veggie for over 25 years. I am always on the low side when tested when giving blood and it was too low to donate once last year. I ate more spinach and it was on the higher side when I returned 3 months later for another donation

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

drink more red wine ?

project
    Free Member

Had this and still got it, went to gp for minor infection got sent to hospital to get sorted they did blood tests 5 diferent sets, because they couldnt get the figures to work right, it appears my HG level went down to 4.2 then had to have 4 units bags of blood overnight, woken up every hour, for blood pressure tests etc.

lots of iron tablets, fruit etc, consipation and stomach pains, now avoiding the drs, they thought i had cancer or leukemia to start, 2 barium enemas,2 lots of picolax, a camera down throat, and still get tired dead easy, out of breath on hills , but stil alive if a funny colour.

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife’s levels only picked up when she started taking it with those ludicrous 2,000mg vitamin C tablets. Orange juice didn’t cut it.

When she first went to the doc the level was 2, the doc was surprised to have seen her able to walk into the office unaided.

ktmracer
    Free Member

Thanks guys I eat plenty of red of healthy food. Lots of Iron rich food so I will have to wait to see if it comes up of by itself. I am back to him in a couple of weeks to check them again.

JAG

I was Iron deficient too.

Spent 12 months getting every test done but Doc’s can’t find any good reason for it. In the end they gave up testing and just told me to take one 200mg Ferrous Sulphate tablet a day.

This lifted my Iron levels and has fixed the problem although it does seem odd that no-one can find the reason.

Also price for Ferrous Sulphate tablets has gone sky high recently.

Either way I do very Black No2’s these days 🙄

mrsfry
    Free Member

Vitabiotics Feroglobin B12 Liquid

Tastes nice

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Low Iron levels’ is closed to new replies.