Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 151 total)
  • Low impact house – and it's so cool
  • Karinofnine

Check this out:

Woodland Home

aP
    Free Member

Nice roof, although I am extremely unconvinced about his understanding of moisture transfer through the building envelope. I would be very concerned about the longevity of the straw/ straw bales in the roof and floor.
    There's some very nice round houses at Findhorn if they're your thing.

yunki
    Free Member

That is a truly inspiring looking home… very errr…. gnomic

KT1973
    Free Member

+1 AP.
    This will be prone to damp & rot and infestations. It's a fine idea but will cause a lot of heartache through needing constant maintenance I reckon.

elaineanne
    Free Member

lord of the rings Hobbit house !

MartinGT
    Free Member

Hehe, I loved their "plans" haha, oh how I laughed. Still, better than some architects drawings I get to see.

Lifer
    Free Member

Straw doesn't retain moisture/attract vermin like hay.

Thatched roofs last upto 50 years and they're in direct contact with the elements.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Seen it before, and really like it. Would love to live somewhere like that, also really like the one Ben Law made on Grand Designs.
    KT1972 do you think they need a gap and something breathable to keep it dry (well, not too damp)? You get modern houses with subterranean living spaces don't you?

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I can't understand why anyone would want to build anything so ugly, inconvenient, damp, and old-fashioned. There are some amazing modern buildings these days, and maybe if he'd employed an architect he could have had a beautiful glass, steel and concrete structure.

avdave2

I can't understand why anyone would want to build anything so ugly, inconvenient, damp, and old-fashioned. There are some amazing modern buildings these days, and maybe if he'd employed an architect he could have had a beautiful glass, steel and concrete structure.

For 3 grand!

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Well if you only spend 3 grand then no wonder you get just a dump that no-one in their right mind would live in.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Lady Gresley – Member
    Well if you only spend 3 grand then no wonder you get just a dump that no-one in their right mind would live in.

Beauty = Eye of beholder.

This will be prone to damp & rot and infestations. It's a fine idea but will cause a lot of heartache through needing constant maintenance I reckon.

I guess living in a place like this is all about maintenance and upkeep – it's a lifestyle rather than simply a house. For us, with regular jobs means that we are short on time and therefore we want minimum fuss/maintenance. If you've got a lifestyle where you are to a large extent self sufficient (would any of us do our jobs if we didn't have to pay rent/mortgage – I'd certainly reconsider)

FWIW I like it – especially their new project.

Lifer
    Free Member

FWIW I like it – especially their new project.

+1

clareymorris

I'm sure Lady Gresley is being sarcastic ;-D

I think it looks great!

LadyGresley
    Free Member

FFS why does everyone think living in old fashioned buildings is a good thing – move on people we're in the 21st century!

trailmonkey

FFS why does everyone think living in old fashioned buildings is a good thing – move on people we're in the 21st century!

Some people find older properties aesthetically pleasing and restoring or renovating older properties lessens the massive carbon footprint of the property development industry. Added to this is the statistic that 40% of UK landfill is builders waste making it a highly unsustainable enterprise to boot.
    Old is nicer, old is greener, old is for the future.

hitman
    Free Member

didnt even know about this new eco development and its only about 30 mins from where I live!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

FFS why can't some people understand that some people might want something different to themselves?

LadyGresley
    Free Member

FFS why can't some people understand that some people might want something different to themselves?
    That's my point exactly – everyone thinks old and twee is good – be brave and build something modern!!

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Good grief what a stupid idea, building something that wouldnt work for societies needs, probably done by some old hobbit living on mine and yours taxes. Who can claim it's cheap if I had to put in 1500 hours it would take me years of spare time. 1500 hours in fact is more hours than the average persons working year.
    If everyone was to disapear into the hills and dig holes to live in the countryside would soon be ****.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Dales_rider, I agree with all you say!! And yes, I bet they are living on our taxes. It's a complete load of bollocks.

RichPenny
    Free Member

If everyone was to disapear into the hills and dig holes to live in the countryside would soon be ****.

Maybe. Not seen too many of these myself though 😉 If you read the page, I believe the bloke building it wanted time out to raise his kids when they were young. Perhaps they'll grow up to be very well adjusted people, ergo something definitely in societies interests. Of course, they might just grow up to be hobbitses… I met some people doing a similar thing in Australia. Their kids were extremely confident, happy and independent, go figure…

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Their kids were extremely confident, happy and independent
    Otherwise translated as arrogant little shits – I know that sort 🙄

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I love it ! ……. it's **** gorgeous ! 8)

Although sod going for walks near where he lives…..

"It was built by myself and my father in law with help from passers by "

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Jeez..take a chill pill lady gaga….

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I met some people doing a similar thing in Australia. Their kids were extremely confident, happy and independent, go figure…

Well as far as trusting an Aussie as to the state of hapiness of anyone and especialy their treatment of people [Aborigines] who just want to live in a natural low energy environment.
    Gobby kids from parents with attitude

grumm
    Free Member

Wow I thought I was angry and bitter. God there are some weird people on internet forums.

IanMunro
    Free Member

No idea how practical it is, but it looks fantastic to me.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Dalesrider, you are perhaps not aware that Australians are no homogenised mass. Some are backward idiots, some not. And as a brit making a statement blaming all Aussies for government actions, you're on EXTREMELY shaky ground 🙄

Gobby, no, arrogant no, just well adjusted kids enjoying more freedom than most.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

So the goverment of Australia are not australian or voted for by the Australians ?
    Most are descendants of convicts or ones who couldnt make it in there own country. The Genes will out.

billybob
    Free Member

Why is the sofa pointing to the fire & not the telly?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Three grand?

You could have a couple of shipping containers for that! 😀

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I like their new house

Lifer
    Free Member

Lady Gresley – Member

Dales_rider, I agree with all you say!! And yes, I bet they are living on our taxes. It's a complete load of bollocks.

How much?

Otherwise translated as arrogant little shits – I know that sort

You're either a genius troll or a f***wit.

Karinofnine

he could have had a beautiful glass, steel and concrete structure.

Yes, he could, complete with all the carcinogens that are in modern buildings.

Lady G – I'm glad you've noticed it's the 21st century, what a shame your thinking hasn't caught up. Sustainable living IS the future, sourcing your food locally and living in houses that are require few resources to create, maintain and heat.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Lady G destroying an eco home earlier today.

epicyclo

I love it. Still would love to try something like that. Bugger all chance of getting my mob to live in it though.

Wonder how easy planning permission was 🙂

Maybe I read too many Domebooks in my youth.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Wonder how easy planning permission was

sounds like they don't apply for permission – just do it and hope that no one complains – after a period of time permission is automatically granted…

mrmo
    Free Member

so the future relies on glass and concrete, this would be float glass i assume? have you seen the energy used in the manufacture of such stuff? i assume you are behind the runway at Heathrow, out of town shopping centres, etc.

Sorry but this might not be the future as you want it to be, but the future most seem to want isn't much of a future either. The world has only so much energy to offer in the ways we can use it, yes we can make use of it in other ways but that costs money. You think fuel is expensive now, i don't think we have seen anything yet.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Yes, he could, complete with all the carcinogens that are in modern buildings.

Lady G – I'm glad you've noticed it's the 21st century, what a shame your thinking hasn't caught up. Sustainable living IS the future, sourcing your food locally and living in houses that are require few resources to create, maintain and heat.
    So how are all the city dwellers going to do this ? Get real for FS its the 21st century as Lady G pointed out. If the entire population did this in the UK we would have a patch 4 x 4 Metres.

The world has only so much energy to offer

Energy cant be destroyed we will always have the same amount.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘Low impact house – and it's so cool’ is closed to new replies.