Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Low fat this low fat that …
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Not sure who is to blame here. Government advisors or the food industry, but everywhere I turn I just see products marketed for being Low Fat. The milk in the kitchen fridge in the office is emblazoned with 1% FAT. I don’t want the food I eat / drink to have been messed around with.

I have always believed that fat whilst calorific is not the cause of disease, but sugar is the real evil.

Whole milk and butter have always been in the fridge at home and I will continue to do so. Just wonder why others are so obsessed with low fat products.

weeksy

I still don’t see any low fat muffins i want to eat….

MSP

I have always believed that fat whilst calorific is not the cause of disease, but sugar is the real evil

Always, really? More likely you have just jumped on the bandwagon of the latest nutritional science IMO.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Full fat milk forms a skin on my coffee that then sticks to my top lip and flaps around. Yuk. Semi skimmed for me

gobuchul
    Free Member

sugar is the real evil.

Is it any difference from any other high GI carbohydrate?

A nice bowl of healthy porridge with honey anyone?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

The milk in the kitchen fridge in the office is emblazoned with 1% FAT. I don’t want the food I eat / drink to have been messed around with.

What is this messing around with that milk is subjected to in order to remove the fat?

flanagaj
    Free Member

Always, really? More likely you have just jumped on the bandwagon of the latest nutritional science IMO.

Given I have held that belief for many years I don’t think you can argue that one.

Sugar is known to cause blood sugars to yo-yo and the body will quickly convert sugar to fat anyway if it cannot use it. Fat does not cause blood sugar to yo-yo.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Full fat milk forms a skin on my coffee that then sticks to my top lip and flaps around. Yuk. Semi skimmed for me

Are you sure you haven’t upset the person who is making your coffee and they’re adding their own special ingredient 🙂

flanagaj
    Free Member

A nice bowl of healthy porridge with honey anyone?

The porridge will be complex carbs, the honey simple carbs. Complex carbs are fine as the body has to work at it to convert it to sugar. Simple carbs are easily converted.

Full fat milk has way more flavour than the nasty tasting 1% stuff.

twisty

The Sugar industry is very well organised and very good at influencing governments and people. They have helped take focus away from high sugar content and put the focus on fat content.

Things are not quite as bad as a few years ago when certain snacks were promoted as healthy because they were 99% fat free but were laced with sugar.

allan23
    Free Member

Sugar is known to cause blood sugars to yo-yo and the body will quickly convert sugar to fat anyway if it cannot use it.

Half right, a nice bowl of white rice will send your blood sugar soaring and it will stay there for hours – sustained high blood sugar is probably more damaging in some respects, although quick highs and lows make you feel like cr@p.

It’s all pretty complilcated and cannot be simplified into one food is good and another is bad. Having been forced to be careful of carbohydrates it was a real eye opener.

I found after a year or so, quantity eaten and the amount you get of your backside and walk about have more effect that the actual food.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Half right, a nice bowl of white rice will send your blood sugar soaring and it will stay there for hours – sustained high blood sugar is probably more damaging in some respects, although quick highs and lows make you feel like cr@p.

Yes. When I say sugar, I basically mean simple sugars eg refined carbohydrates.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The whole ‘fat is bad’ and ‘you are what you eat’ thing is all a conspiracy from the US food industry apparently. According to some chap on R4, back in the ’50’s there was some form of food crisis going on in the US and food prices were going up wit the potential to cause civil unrest with the food loving Americans, so the US started to grow Corn like it was going out of fashion because it was a crop they could grow quickly, cheaply and in abundance, and were looking to market all manner of corn based products (corn bread, corn dogs etc). One of the main things produced from corn is Corn Syrup, which is used in a whole host of processed foods as a sweetener. So in order to boost the sales of Corn Syrup the US food lobby started on the anti-fat propaganda to push people onto low fat products loaded with Corn Syrup. The reality is corn syrup is highly processed and not particularly good for you.

So decades down the line and with most of the western countries, and a lot of Eastern ones too, battling an obesity crisis we’re actually starting to apply science and realising that in reality it is natural foods, whether they be carbs or fat’s, that are actually what is good for us and what we should be eating.

So the message is, if it’s processed it’s bad, if its natural and actually resembles real food, then it’s good. Everything in moderation, and a natural balanced diet. No sh1t Sherlock.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Things are not quite as bad as a few years ago when certain snacks were promoted as healthy because they were 99% fat free but were laced with sugar.

It’s still going on though. There is a box of oat granola in the cupboard with the claim 33% less fat than other cereals. What a redundant claim when you consider an oat granola cereal by it’s very nature will contain very little fat anyway. I keep meaning to have a look at the actual fat content as it could be 2g/100g instead of 3g/100g.

Masks the fact that the “carb what sugars” number is the one people should be more concerned with.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Everything in moderation, and a natural balanced diet. No sh1t Sherlock.

+1

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I don’t want the food I eat / drink to have been messed around with.

That’s a shame then. Food regulations state that “full fat” milk contains a specified minimum percentage of fat (3% IIRC but could well be wrong). Fat is in the cream so all the cream is removed then the specified amount reinserted under high pressure. This means
    a – the right amount of fat/cream is in the milk
    b – the cream doesn’t rise to the top
    c – particularly in summer, there’s an excess of cream which can be used for other products such as ice cream (or cream come to think of it).
    This is called homogenisation and if your milk comes from a supermarket it has been homogenised so has been messed about with. The only difference between full fat and skimmed is how much cream was reinserted.

ulysse
    Free Member

I’m on flanagaj side of the fence, I kinda worked it out for myself when the IDave diet first started doing the rounds on here, as the diet avoids sugars of all kinds and carbohydrates

bikebouy
    Free Member

This, this tastes

Like this

With a glug of this

Which it probably is.

You’d think with all the market research and taste experiments they perform on bunny rabbits, this vile concoction would never have made it passed the Brexiters.

ulysse
    Free Member

Guess what I just had over my ham salad…

Mackem

Is Pasta good or bad? As a kid, it’s what athletes ate. Nowadays you read a lot about people cutting pasta (and bread) out of their diet.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I eat both sugar and fat – no idea how i’m still alive

P-Jay
    Free Member

Mackem – Member

Is Pasta good or bad? As a kid, it’s what athletes ate. Nowadays you read a lot about people cutting pasta (and bread) out of their diet.

There are some strange folk about, I know one who swears bread makes him fat, like it’s a source of pure evil magic – so when we feels the belt getting a bit tight he cuts out evil bread – about 4 slices a day and hey presto he loses a bit of weight = bread, evil.

I mentioned that his magic weight loss plan relies on him reducing his intake by 400 calories a day (a slice of bread being about 100 kcals) more than evil bread – but he doesn’t agree.

The world, and the internet especially is awash with food ‘science’ experts.

Very few things are all bad, and some of the things that are bad for you, might be good for the next guy.

All things in moderation.

P-Jay
    Free Member

As for Fat, a gram of fat is about 9 calories, a gram of protein is about 4, sugar 4, carbs 4.

So if you’re over weight, and want to reduce body fat, you get more food for your calories by reducing fat in your diet.

molgrips
    Free Member

a nice bowl of white rice will send your blood sugar soaring and it will stay there for hours

Only if you’re diabetic, I’d have thought. There’s a lag before your pancreas responds but it should do.

jekkyl

nope, I can’t think of anything funny to say about this topic. Perchypanther will be along with something witty shortly. Keep up the good work. 😉 pip pip.

allan23
    Free Member

I got the diabetes call a few years ago so cut out almost all that stuff. From personal testing of food:

Rice is long term high blood sugar evil.
    Bread is a mere acolyte of evil – once in a while is OK but I don’t have any in the house.
    Pasta is OK with care.
    Spuds are OK with care.

Sugar isn’t actually that bad if it’s obvious sugar – gels for out on the bike, even taken jelly babies or Haribo out with me. If I’m pedalling I don’t notice any bad effect on blood sugar.

I avoid yoghurts now, most have huge amounts of added sugar.
    Cerials are out as they’re full of it – pretty much all of them including the “healthy” ones. Plain porridge only and none of those quick packet Quaker rubbish with added sugar.
    No take aways, some Chinese and Indian take aways chuck a shed load of sugar in.
    No smoothies or sugary drinks.
    No alcohol as it spikes blood sugar and then casues it to crash giving me terrible hangovers.
    Crisps with care but none of the “healthy” cracker like crisps as they have a load of sugar added. Good old sliced and fried only, none of these processed potato starch rubbish like Pringles either.

Proper cake is OK in small quantities, the rubbish processed cake bars stuff is awful.

I’ve not really stopped eating anything, just have to moderate how much and how often. Balanced diet works funnily enough.

Had my last diabetes checkup a couple of weeks back and the result came back almost normal. Not cured, if I start eating cr@p it will be a slow road to trialling some running blades.

allan23
    Free Member

Only if you’re diabetic, I’d have thought. There’s a lag before your pancreas responds but it should do.

Bingo! See above.

You’ll still get the spike though, replacing sugar with rice is like saying vaping is healthier than smoking 🙂

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

FatNotFat wheels. I blame Wiggle DFS!

prawny

There’s more protein and calcium in skimmed and semi skimmed milk than full fat, that’s why we have semi skimmed.

Skimmed looks grey on cereal, so for that reason, I’m oot.

jimjam
    Free Member

prawny

There’s more protein and calcium in skimmed and semi skimmed milk than full fat, that’s why we have semi skimmed.

Nah, we have them because of Weight Watchers and the like who promote them as the healthy, low fat option. Apparently since your body loves fat it actually takes more of the calcium and protein from the full fat milk than the low.

SiB
    Free Member

……and as they take the fat out of milk they add more sugar to it, full fat milk much less sugar than semi/skimmed………..so do you want tasty fatty milk or watery sweet milk??

Me? I’m for the fatty stuff!

Coyote
    Free Member

Whole milk and butter[/u] have always been in the fridge

Heathen. Butter has no place in the fridge.

rone

Raw milk for God’s sake.
    Butter.
    Easy Yo.
    Porridge.
    Potatoes in any form.
    Salmon.
    Veg.
    Eggs.
    Steak.
    Home Made Bread.

Avoid Pasta.

I think that’s about it for me.

Do have this fatty liver thing and cholesterol though. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think they add sugar to milk…

ourmaninthenorth

I don’t think they add sugar to milk…

Never had milk in the US then?

mikey74
    Free Member

I avoid yoghurts now, most have huge amounts of added sugar.

Not in good quality plain yogurt. However, the amount of sugar in fruit yogurts really annoys me as it’s completely unnecessary. If I want fruity yogurt, I buy plain yogurt, buy fruit, and mix the two together.

slowoldman

Us ordinary folks have no chance against the food industry and their web of deceit.

Oh wait, we do. Buy fresh produce and do our own cooking.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Low fat this low fat that …’ is closed to new replies.