Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Loving SS but advice on traction
  • brack
    Free Member

Wet wet wet ground today..took the singlespeed out for a blat with mates.

Only prob I had was one of putting power down to the ground – tyre slipping ( 2.1 Bonty Mud X’s). I let air out which improved things – only to have a pinch flat later on.

I’m tempted to run a wider tyre – aka the Maxxis Minion 2.35 ( recc’d by a mate).

Any thoughts ?

..stands by for ‘yeah add gears quips!’

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The best thing I found on the SS for grip was a child seat on the back and a 2 year old. Surprisingly still let me climb as easily (difficultly) as normal but with a LOAD of grip!

brack
    Free Member

No No No….

glupton1976
    Free Member

Climb faster.

james
    Free Member

I assume you’ve fitted a 2.0″(?) Bonty Mud X to deal with mud.
    afaik Minions are the dry/loose downhill tread (HR for loam, swampthing for mud, wet scream for filth) and not especially spaced out tread so could block up more easily
    For more volume but similar(ish) mud ability/rolling I’d be looking at a Spesh Storm 2.0″

julianwilson
    Free Member

just keep riding! 😀
    I think I used to haul on the bars whilst sort of leaning my weight back to keep the back wheel dug in (easier to do than to type about it!) but now I don’t really think about it much. And yet I have a old half-worn intense system 2 (intermediate-to-summer 2.0″ tyre) on the back of my singlespeed. Spat it’s traction once or twice in the woods the other day but not much more than the mud x on my geared bike does tbh.

[edit] glupton is right too: the more you carry your speed into the gloopy or steep sharp bits, the less often you lose traction. Perhaps fitness and speed-carrying skillz are why it seems easier than when I first had a singlespeed.

Graham_Clark

It’s all about where you put your weight… get that right and traction really isn’t a problem 😉
    Seriously though… practice and then practice some more, you’ll get it in the end and you’ll wonder what all the fuss was about (and have a big grin too) 😀

Clobber
    Free Member

Put your weight over the back, surely nothing much grippier than a mudx in current conditions…

Edit: beaten to it by graham.. ^

big_n_daft
    Free Member

It’s all about where you put your weight… get that right and traction really isn’t a problem

+1

HermanShake
    Free Member

I find putting my weight through my thumb for a split second helps no end 😉

amedias
    Free Member

It’s all about where you put your weight… get that right and traction really isn’t a problem

+2

that and learning how to deliver power with nice even torque at low rpm, you’d be surprised what even a summer tyre can make it up with both of the above nailed, should be easy with a mud x 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

speed-carrying skillz

This +1

Climbs are rarely constant (as you found by losing traction in places), the trick is to pedal much much harder whilst there is grip (usually the flatter bits), then ease off on the bad bits (usually the steep muddy bits).

That and weight shifts and pedaling smoothly. All of which you’ll pick up with time.

D0NK

What they said ^^^^ Technique. Keep your arse back weight low and pull back (not up) on the bars. Works for me but ymmv

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

As above, pedal smoothly and distribute your weight better. If your back wheel is spinning out try pushing your weight back a little, but not so much that your front wheel starts to lift.

Clink

29er ss = more grip

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I assume you’ve fitted a 2.0″(?) Bonty Mud X to deal with mud.
    afaik Minions are the dry/loose downhill tread (HR for loam, swampthing for mud, wet scream for filth) and not especially spaced out tread so could block up more easily

Not really, Minion is the great all rounder of the bunch. If it’s so sloppy that your trudging through 6+ inches of mud all over the place ride somewhere else.

thatscracking
    Free Member

Get fitter?

The stronger your legs the better you will be able to control cadence…

shortcut

All about putting your weight in the right place. Standing up and leaning forward to get the power down is NOT the way to go. Sitting down or hovering over the saddle works really well.

Sam

Weight distribution is key as above, I find shifting back at the start of the pedal stroke then easing forward through it helps get that initial bit and prevents lifting the front wheel as can happen if you keep your weight back. So you end up with a slight rocking back and forth motion. Another option could also be to fit a bit lower gear to help smooth out the torque.

takisawa2

After many years of SS ambling, I’ve found a wobbly chainring & clipless pedals help for SS, helps smooth out the power transfer.
    Some good advice re: technique above. Above that, pick your line well ahead.
    And 29″ wheels do grip betterer. 🙂

IMAG0335 by pten2106, on Flickr

oldgit
    Free Member

I know that problem and it’s the main reason I gave up on singlespeed. While it was okay for 24s and weekends in the mountains, the local clay was a problem.
    Steep slimy climb. Get out of saddle and loose traction or sit down and really struggle. Walking isn’t an option.
    Green slime covered chalk and icy slopes? no problem with a granny.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Get an extra cog with an extra tooth on and ride it through winter.

Little slower but a bit easier on the ups.

FuzzyWuzzy

Technique certainly helps but there’s stuff that’s a scrabbly, grunting mess to climb on an SS and is much more pleasant with gears, I guess depends where you ride but thankfully there’s not much of that sort of climb on my usual routes.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Loving SS but advice on traction’ is closed to new replies.