Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Love/Hate Bikes….
  • grenosteve
    Free Member

Any one else have a bike they love and hate?

For me, it’s ‘the commuter’.. it’s heavy, stiff, ugly, uncomfortable, it has an unsealed shimano rear hub (the cone spanners get a lot of use!), the rack and mudguard bolts are corroded into the frame, and did I mention it’s heavy?

Use it every day though, and it lugs me and my shite to work, keeps me mostly dry, and it seems bomb proof!

Nearly six years old, still on it’s original mechs and shifters (8 speed shimano lasts forever!) and now the rims have worn out, it’s ready for disc brakes, which is good as I can pick up some sealed 26″ disc wheels for peanuts. 🙂

And it glows in the dark!

Thinking of using a shim to get rid of the massive seat posts and replace it with a 27.2, which hopefully should make it more comfortable (the saddle is good, but the whole bike is very stiff!).

Just considering 29″ disc wheels with small tyres, over 26″ and balloon tyres (the conti tour plus that are on it last forever, and have really good puncture resistance, but they’re heavy and thick, which doesn’t help the ride!). Would look a bit odd though with the massive frame clearance and skinny tyres though…

qwerty
    Free Member

I had a Sunn Fuji Stout Lite tubed bike which I LOVED the skinny look & detailing of, but yet hated it cos it was too small.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I can’t do that – if I realise I hate it, it has to go. 🙂

bikeneil
    Free Member

No.

grenosteve
    Free Member

I can’t do that – if I realise I hate it, it has to go.

I’m like that with MTBs, but I cant bring myself to spend £500+ on a new commuter when the Cannondale does the job… badly, but it does the job.

ebennett

I may be being thick (more than likely), but how are you going to mount the disk brake calipers? Doesn’t look like there are mounts on the fork?

grenosteve
    Free Member

It has disk mounts.

warpcow
    Free Member

Yep, my commuter too. Underneath it all it’s my first Kona Lava Dome from about ’96. Ideally I’d want something lighter and faster, but it just won’t die and I’m just sentimental enough not to be able to put it out of its misery.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/eYiZVY]Untitled[/url] by warpcow, on Flickr
    Looks slightly different now with a front rack instead of a rear one.

ebennett

Ah, thought I might be being thick 😳

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Love/Hate Bikes….’ is closed to new replies.