Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Love where you live, where you ride.
  • Kunstler

Good cheer and a brighter horizon.

Three weeks ago I made a post about drinking too much which for me was a way of trying to cope with a much more serious underlying problem and an awful situation that I found myself in. Here is a positive update.

I had returned Edinburgh after six months of being a reclusive wreck and not being on the bike for a very long time. Staying in my old home – my ex’s, with her and much sadness and tension. It took a few weeks until I got my bike in working order and headed out.

Following my post about the drinking I received good advice and support from people on STW and someone much wiser than me suggested that instead of going to buy the evenings booze, I go out the bike.
    So I did exactly that.

My regular ride will be familiar to many here. It starts off with a climb up and around Arthurs Seat: our own mini mountain in the city. The view along the coast and then across the city as you round the hill is brilliant. Everything looks better from above. A mild evening and the city feels alive. Across the meadows (a city park), along the canal (tentatively over the cobbled aquaduct path) and up through a wooded dell along the river and finally a short bit of climbing and I’m out of the city below the open hills. I went just far enough to be away from the city and be able to look north across the forth to the mountains of the southern Highlands.

This first ride was testing – I’d not ridden inclines for long time. Opened the lungs up and made me cough for all the next day. But there was a joy to be out there and I went again the next day. In the morning I walked up Arthurs Seat and sat at the summit in the sunshine looking at the city I love to live in. Not a run up for fitness (I nearly collapsed with a lack of energy on the way up) but to drink it all in and savour it like a new experience. Had an emotional moment.
    Ride up to the hills again later and watch the suns final evening glow from on high. Exhausted but feeling good.

The following day I rode out along the coast again in glorious sunshine and arrived at the Forth Rail Bridge, tide high and looking to the north and the west. There is an inbuilt trajectory in me that compels me in that direction. Emotional moment again.

So for the next weeks I ride every day, through wind, rain, dark, illness, hangover, and a lot more wind. I’d be out in the evening for up to five hours, away from the tension in the flat and getting stronger in body and heart.

I would go further than before, linking descents and trying new routes, dragging myself and bike over the tops of hills and often descending the final hill with the city lit up below in the late evening. By the time I’d get back and get cleaned and fed there wasn’t much time for drinking. Last week was my first day since June without a drink at all.

I’d like to wax lyrical about a lot of what happened on my rides but this post is long enough for now. I mapped all the rides and bike route toaster told me that in the first two weeks back on he bike I covered 400 miles and 22,000 ft of ascent. That’s a hell of a lot for me.

Someone also told me that other things would fall in place and they have. I’ve met old friends and seen the lively, dynamic part of life here again. On Saturday I had a great night out with some new friends and met up with a girl I first saw at new year. A beautiful, sassy redhead who I actually graduated with but didn’t know her at the time. A couple of parties, some of the old art crowd and a great night that came out of the blue. Walking home across the city in the morning sunshine I was the happiest I’d been in years. I loved is place a little bit more. Tonight I’m seeing her again. It may not go any further (she’s much younger than me and I hadn’t totally stopped thinking of myself as a wreck) but I’ll take what comes.

I’m looking forward to a new home, new independence, whatever comes and a lot of riding a bike.

I love where I live, where I ride.

sobriety
    Free Member

Good to hear, I’m in a similar place right now and that’s a pretty inspiration thing to hear 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Blimey – what a great post!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sucklingmatt
    Free Member

that’s really good to hear!…Good on ya!

RealMan
    Free Member

Have you been riding with other people as well? Could make it better for you.

Fantastic post though, good for you.

Keva
    Free Member

yaay! 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

*applauds*

Glad to hear of something positive happening.

Why not try to join up with some of the other riders from Edinburgh? Wednesday night rides are go and I for one am out most weekends around the city somewhere. Email me if you want some routes as well.

donsimon
    Free Member

Good to hear, onwards and upwards.
    Bikes are ace.

yossarian
    Free Member

Great post, life is f’cking good no?

yunki
    Free Member

great post.. 🙂 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

😀

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I love where I live, where I ride.

Quote of the day. And I’m in total agreement with you.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Spring is a great time for renewal, mental and physical. Things are springing back into life, days are getting longer and the weather is improving.
    A great time of year to be alive and enjoying the world.
    I remember reading your original posting and its really heartening to hear that some of the advise on here has worked for you!
    Onward and upwards!

binners

I’m absolutely made up that its working out fella. That’s really put a smile on my face. Onwards and upwards indeed. There’s a whole dry dusty summer stretching out in front of us too. It doesn’t get better than that 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t go riding with TJ, he’ll have you back on the booze in no time!

😉

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

😀 Made my day. Thanks for the thanks. Great to hear that and keep it up!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Good for you! The girl sounds nice too. I tip my hat. 🙂

billysugger
    Free Member

There’ll be a time when you’re riding as much as poss and things might start to drop off. Stay strong, keep guys like Stephen Murray in mind.

Keep it up, good on yer.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Hey sweets that’s fantastic to hear!! So pleased for you. Onwards and upwards now mate
    Love Debs xxxx :mrgreen:

Bunnyhop

Fantastic. Keep riding, keep smiling and taking in all that surrounds you.

One step at a time with the lovely young lady.
    P.S. Age never matters.

Hohum
    Free Member

Great to hear how things are improving for you mate 🙂

Tracker1972
    Free Member

🙂 great news so far and good luck for the future. A really heartwarming post that must make you feel even better.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Post of the day!!! Brilliant! 🙂

lowey

You know what mate…. thats put a smile on my face.

What a great post. Well done you!

julesf7
    Free Member

You’ve lifted my day and for that I thank you. I’ve been getting over a break too over the last few months, also local to Edinburgh, and the bike and running has played its part. No sassy redhead, though, so I can’t be doing it quite right 🙂 Enjoy tonight, regardless of what may come of it

ahhhjrene
    Free Member

Good man Bobble. Speak soon.

bullheart
    Free Member

Good work comrade…

Kunstler

Wow. I’m bowled over by your replies. Really. I’m just back from the hills and in the final stages of wardrobe crisis before going out. Yeah, wow. Spread some happiness eh…

kimbers

mmmmmmmm redheads

good work fellah keep up the riding it makes everything a bit more bearablr

cinnamon_girl

Well done for getting out that door and discovering the joys of fresh air and bikes. 😀

Great achievement and good to hear of your optimism for the future.

flip
    Free Member

I do remember your last post, some good advice was posted. Which goes to prove that nothing is as bad as it seems at the time.

Well done and good luck 😉

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Fantastic – it’s absolutely ace when life turns around after a complete train wreck isn’t it 🙂

jools182
    Free Member

Sounds great

Stay away from the redhead though, she’s bound to be trouble 😉

Seriously though after a nasty break up, I stayed single for a while. May not be the best idea, but it worked out well for me

Diane
    Free Member

Very proud of you

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Great post, but you did miss the really important question…..What tyres for a joyous personal epiphany?

rOcKeTdOg

make sure the redhead’s logos and values are lined up and it’ll be the perfect start to the reast of your life, nice one

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

make sure the redhead’s logos and values are lined up

Was that a typo, or are you Naomi Klein?

binners

Come on then. You can’t keep us in suspense. Progress report please. What happened with the redhead? 😀

chopper666
    Free Member

nice one. 😀

Diane
    Free Member

He’s not got home yet 😀 Wonder how long she’ll keep him…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Love where you live, where you ride.’ is closed to new replies.