• This topic has 26 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by scud.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Love Mud Confucius loop bar ??
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Just came across these,They just dont look right, looks like a loop just welded onto a riser bar !
    its not as pretty as a Jones bar
    https://www.alpkit.com/products/love-mud-confucius

stenhousemuir
    Free Member

Don’t get it. Stem goes where?

BigDummy
    Free Member

It looks like they’ve backed away from ripping off the Jones bars. That is, as you say, just a regular bar with a gadget-rail that you might conceivably use as an aero hand position.

🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

so far from the initial concept that its essentially just extra dead weight now

bar has limited backsweep so im out – ill stick to my mid mounted bar ends on a ragley carnegie.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Jones bars are hideous, so are these.

I really love the loop section on my jones bars, i just wish the non-loop had less sweep 45degrees is waay too much for off road.

I like what they’ve done here, I’ll certainly be buying some for testing.

scotroutes

Yep – a “half-jones” would likely be more useful to me too.

dovebiker

It is the big sweep that makes the Jones bar work for me (rigid fatbike) – for bike-packing the front extension not only provides real-estate for lights, GPS etc, but helps stabilise a bar roll/bag

bonesetter
    Free Member

Stooge Moto?

rOcKeTdOg

stooge moto

Doesn’t seem to have a loop?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Does it need a loop ?

rOcKeTdOg

Apparently, especially if you read the thread title

Stedlocks
    Free Member

There is at least one pair of the original fu man chu alpkit bars out there though……Jones must have a good team of lawyers…..trek can’t stop their carbon stache being ripped off by two British companies.

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ and Surly by the looks

piemonster

It is the big sweep that makes the Jones bar work for me (rigid fatbike)

It was the big sweep that put me off Jones bars, really did not work for me. I’ve taken a punt on these Confuglycious as I’m changing the set up on my bike and wanted some different bars. Not exactly a big investment.

Frankly I’ve bigger aesthetics problems to worry about than the ugliness of my handlebars. I’ll report back in when I’ve had a chance to use them.

They could well get the job done, or they could just be a jobbie.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve a set of Jones Loops on my fat bike. They do take a bit of setting up to get right, you (well I) certainly can’t just fit them any old how and expect them to work. In effect you need to do a complete bike fit to get the best out of them. They need to angle down quite significantly IME, somewhere between 10 & 20 degrees.

I can understand folk not getting on with them as they do catch the knees if you turn the bars a bit too much in a way that normal riser or flat bars just don’t. A significant number of riders use them on ITTs so they must have some benefits.

I’d like to see a set of bars like the Jones but with something like a 30deg sweep. Might be a decent halfway house, might be a dog’s breakfast.

piemonster

I don’t think that sort of investment would fall into my ‘**** it, it’s only £35 I’ll give it a punt’ bracket 😀

Certainly not for the bike in question!

dufusdip
    Free Member

I like mine. Lets me use the fat bike at trail centres without too much sweep so it feels similar hand position to my full suss. Then when using a roll bag on the bars with the alpkit harness it stops the cables and hoses being squashed.

And gives an alternative (aero?!) position for the occasional commute. So the bars give the flexibility without a fortune for the Jones that looked to have too much sweep for me.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

essentially just extra dead weight now

Presumably you dont need a bar harness with them at all? Just strap a dry bag sbove or below the loop? In which case it could save more weight than it adds?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

essentially just extra dead weight now

Presumably you dont need a bar harness with them at all? Just strap a dry bag sbove or below the loop? In which case it could save more weight than it adds?

dufusdip
    Free Member

Yes you can avoid the harness but it feels like a harness makes the bag more stable than bar alone. But I’m still green at bike packing so might be doing it wrong!

postierich
    Free Member

Got them on my fat bike and they are ok but I have got so used to my Jones bars I always feel stretched out with these on a long day out bar is ok for attaching stuff!

thorpie
    Free Member

I’ve just used one for a week bikepacking the NC500. I found it ideal, I was able to hang a dry bag off the front and sit one on top of the loop, as well as attaching stem cells and various other bits. Did use the basic harness Alpkit make, gave more attachment points and it kept the front drybag further away from all the cables. Perfect. I would show you if I could figure out how to upload bleeding photos!
    Here?
    https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/album?album_id=4821558526

msrockhopper
    Free Member

Is that the Alpkit Joey or Kanga?

scud
    Free Member

[/url]1 by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]

Been using mine on Beargrease for a few weeks now, initial thoughts are that they are good, feel like a traditional bar, but as i use bike a lot for bikepacking, it is great to mount light on front and it be able to shine over top of bar bag, especially as using Apidura front roll with the additional pocket strapped on front

faustus

I have been tempted by one for a while, as it looks good for mounting bags and accessories but with a traditional hand position. I have one of the Jones-a-like bars from Alpkit and I like it, but I think a flat bar is more practical for mounting things on, and for me the comfort is more down to change of hand position than sweep.

benp1

They do indeed look hideous!

Alpkit made quite a few Fu Man Chu bars, they still pop up on ebay, they go for very similar money to Jones Loops

I quite like my Jones loops on my rigid SS El Mar, mine are set up flat, but I don’t do long rides on them

I have some Velo Orange Crazy Casey bars on the way, they make loops look positively mainstream!

scud
    Free Member

[/url]4 by Scud75, on Flickr[/img]

I don’t think they look that bad? But at the end of the day when you have handlebar roll with kit in suspended underneath and light mounted, they make sense and are a great help, so one for the bikepackers definitely.

(not light either)

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Love Mud Confucius loop bar ??’ is closed to new replies.