Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Louis Theroux – My Scientology Movie
  • retro83
    Free Member

Can’t wait for this!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIyJOp-tK0k[/video]

7th Oct is the release date

martinhutch

I doubt he’ll get any more insights than anyone else, but it will be amusing to watch them try to rile him up and get no response.

jekkyl

Good stuff.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matt_outandabout

Now that looks like a fun wind up….

Leku
    Free Member

“are you making a documentary as well?”

love it

BoardinBob

Louis was on the Joe Rogan Experience last night talking about this (plus other stuff)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXyS-74sRTE[/video]

chakaping
    Free Member

Will keep an eye out for this.

I’d strongly recommend “Going Clear” to anyone interested in the subject, superb documentary.

eskay

That looks great, the ‘tell him to stop filming’ bit is bloody funny!

fasthaggis

Excellent Bob,listened to the first 10 minutes.
    An abusive religion cult with more nuts than KP factory.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Great cheers for that

tjagain

Scientology. Set up by the science fiction writer L.Ron Hubbard purely as a way to get rich. He had serious money difficulties as well as probably PTSD from military service. He discussed ways of getting rich with other famous SF writers and setting up a religion or cult was the way

Started off as Dienetics – a mix of cod psychology and basic self help then morphed into a full blown cult. But its only rationale was to get Hubbard rich

“You don’t get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion.

Response to a question from the audience during a meeting of the Eastern Science Fiction Association on (7 November 1948), as quoted in a 1994 affidavit by Sam Moskowitz.
    This statement is similar or identical to several statements Hubbard is reported to have made to various individuals or groups in the 1940s.”
    https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/L._Ron_Hubbard

globalti
    Free Member

In the best tradition of his father, for whom my admiration re-doubled when I read his description, in Dark Star Safari, of the Chinese diplomats trying to smuggle ivory out of Africa in the diplomatic bag.

oxbeast
    Free Member

I saw this at Sheffield Docfest with a Q and A with Louis and the director. I thought it was a great movie because of the focus on keeping it interesting. At first, I thought it was going to be very dull: he can’t get any interviews, its not interesting to just rake over the history of Scientology. In focusing on the human stories and making dramatic reconstructions, he actually makes a very watchable story rather than some polemic

nickc

as well as probably PTSD from military service

as he spent most of his military service in an office, unless he had a really terrifying encounter with a swivel chair, I doubt he had PTSD

BoardinBob

Anyone seen it yet? I haven’t had the chance yet, but for anyone with Sky, Going Clear the other recent big Scientology documentary is available on demand. I watched it yesterday and it’s quite frankly terrifying. Some of the behind the scenes activity is bonkers.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Haven’t seen it yet, it’ll have to be on iTunes or something for me.

Can’t wait though.

BoardinBob

I do wonder whether those at the top actually believe it, or are just so complicit in the whole money making scam side that they have to appear to go along with it.

jekkyl

is it to be on TV at all?

Andy_K

I haven’t always been the biggest LT fan, but inducing that woman into a childish “you stop, no, you stop” game in that trailer had me well sniggering.
    Just enough rope indeed.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I was very underwhelmed by it honestly. Expectations were in no way met. It’s the same stuff you’ve already seen. A big meh from me.

shermer75
    Free Member

I thought it was great, really made me laugh 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Can we have spoilers?

slowoldman

I do wonder whether those at the top actually believe it, or are just so complicit in the whole money making scam side that they have to appear to go along with it.

Of course they don’t, it’s no different to the big religions in that respect.

BoardinBob

I’m not so sure. All religions are based on bullshit but Scientology is particularly special bullshit, and the level of brainwashing within Scientology seems to go far beyond most normal religions with the exception of the most extreme ends of each belief.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/whitneyjefferson/what-scientologists-actually-believe?utm_term=.kgzLqX5VD#.mbWp2bPQk

retro83
    Free Member

or the organisation has enough dirt on them to ruin their lives

Klunk
    Free Member

wackodoodle the whole lot of them !

come back, stop running away 😆

oliverracing

So don’t shoot me down… I really like most of his stuff, and yes some sections of this were good, but overall wasn’t overly impressed. 😕

I was very underwhelmed by it honestly. Expectations were in no way met. It’s the same stuff you’ve already seen. A big meh from me.

OK glad I’m not the only one

Hicksy
    Free Member

Thanks for the link dirtyrider – I enjoyed that. The squirrel bashing thing is just nuts.

Lifer
    Free Member

Going Clear is a better watch and more interesting IMO

retro83
    Free Member

Finally saw it last night. Agree with the posts above, it was really quite underwhelming. 🙁

Thought John Sweeneys programme was much more interesting really. Considering I’m a big fan of Louis normally, that’s very disappointing.

Will have to check out Going Clear.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Saw it a couple of weeks ago.

Quite dark IMHO.

The level of aggression & paranoia the church displays is really quite something.

Not much to laugh about in it if you actually take in their attitude & see past the slapstick scenarios that their posturing creates.

BoardinBob

😆

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Louis Theroux – My Scientology Movie’ is closed to new replies.