Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Louis Theroux last night
  • Mounty_73

I downloaded this last night and watched it….it was sad to watch the battle these people have day in and day out.

I found it hard to watch, not much TV gets to me, but this was upsetting, especially watching Joe. 🙁

Pook

Alcohol abuse killed my aunt.

It is insidious if you’re on that spiral. You turn to drink to relax, blot out, chill out and the next thing you are in its clutches. Depression, mood swings, lashing out and destroying your relationships. The spiral gets tighter, faster and steeper. You get upset so have a drink to escape.

I felt it didn’t quite go as deep as it could but I’m sure it was an eye opener for many. Especially the ‘normal’ people affected.

maccruiskeen

I felt it didn’t quite go as deep as it could but I’m sure it was an eye opener for many. Especially the ‘normal’ people affected.

If I have a criticism is that the film was short – as in time frame it covered – time spent with people and seeing their lives move forwards (or up or down) seemed short. I think was was done was done very well but it felt like the film should have taken a year or two at least to make.

Its a bit of a no-win situation though – trying to keep track of people who are that chaotic for so long is no small undertaking.

yunki
    Free Member

I don’t really want to wade in on the ‘who’s the best documentary maker’ debate..

But the way I see it you either get people making a propaganda film (whatever their motive) or you get a simple honest look at the subject

Theroux definitely falls into the latter category

globalti
    Free Member

What came across clearly was that people drink to escape from their problems and that as with the South African guy, a holistic approach to their issues is half of the battle. Unfortunately few people have the time or patience to dedicate to other people; my uncle was a flawed and lonely character and he drank himself to an early death.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Louis Theroux last night’ is closed to new replies.