Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Louis Theroux last night
  • BoardinBob

Did anyone see this? Pretty harrowing viewing. Seeing people in the depths of alcoholism is brutal. I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy.

The young guy Joe was particular upsetting to see. I’m assuming it’s on iPlayer and it’s well worth watching, albeit very, very tough to watch.

GregMay
    Free Member

It was excellent. Really impressed the BBC put this on with the subjects being in Britain. Makes it all that more real for many when they are not US citizens.

Once again, stunning work and ability to help people talk about their issues by Theroux.

BoardinBob

The French girl’s boyfriend was a particularly charming, though no doubt damaged individual. The way he suddenly went Jekyll and Hyde when they first spoke to him was pretty terrifying.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Ro5ey
    Free Member

A missed opportunity I thought

How many middle aged, middle classed mums were watching that with a vat of red in their hands ?

Should have had some people on there who were ill because of long term “seemingly acceptable” drinking rather than just excessive drinkers.

Can’t help thinking Theroux is just social rubber necking.

Is highlighting these problems enough ? …. It’s not as though we didnt know they exist anyway.

Should he not be showing/giving some info on the help that is available …?

milky1980
    Free Member

Found it hard to watch but it was very well done. I have 3 friends who are recovered/ing alcoholics, only ever seen one in a similar state to Joe so have a bit of first hand experience of watching it first-hand. Brought back a few nasty memories.

How many middle aged, middle classed mums were watching that with a vat of red in their hands ?

I may have sent a text to one hinting she may want to watch it, her hubby says she may have actually stopped downing her nightly wine for a bit 😀

BoardinBob

Should he not be showing/giving some info on the help that is available …?

I didn’t know Louis worked for the general medical council…

pondo

Can’t help thinking Theroux is just social rubber necking.

Think that’s a very negative way of looking at his stuff – his serious documentary stuff is fantastic, IMHO, and looks very closely at the person beneath whatever his subject is, whether it’s alcoholic/crystal meth/criminally insane/parents medicating children/gambling, etc. The man is a class act, for my money.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

No, you’re right he doesn’t.

He works for people wanting to watch those less fortunate than themselves… so we can all look on and feel superior.

Sandwich

Ro5ey – Your average middle-class drinker with a vat of shiraz/sauvignon blanc in hand doesn’t think they have a problem. They would not be on the programme because of their blind spot. I have a relative in this very position whose marriage went down the tubes because of it and whose daughter is a very damaged individual. She doesn’t think she has a problem as it’s only wine, not Bucky nor Tennants Extra nor spirits that she’s drinking.

I have watched a close friend destroy herself on spirits. £80 of cheap Spar/Aldi/Similar vodka a week and dead by 36 after getting dry. (6 months out of rehab and she was gone leaving an 11 and 8 year old as orphans). It’s hideous stuff if it gets a hold of you.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Watched it, never seen a bad Louis Theroux program. Really felt for the French girl, life wasted and she knew it and was resigned to put up with whatever came her way.

pondo

He works for people wanting to watch those less fortunate than themselves… so we can all look on and feel superior.

Honestly that’s not what I see – with the caveat that I haven’t watched last night’s yet, his programmes for me are produced to enlighten and induce empathy, not pander to arrogance.

brooess
    Free Member

His Saville one is probably worth a re-watch now we know the truth. I remember watching it and thinking that Saville was a rather weird individual, but Louis didn’t really bring out just how bad he was. Whether this was knowingly or not I don’t know…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

his programmes for me are produced to enlighten and induce empathy

Yes quite

But like I said … it’s not as if we do not know these problems exist.

So with that in mind… what else does his programs show ?

TimP
    Free Member

Watched the start and will catch up later, but there is also a very harrowing BBC 3 doc on heroin addiction shot by a son of his dad’s addiction

wrecker
    Free Member

I didn’t know Louis worked for the general medical council…

I thought that. Plus, they were all filmed receiving help from actual medical professionals at a place specifically geared up towards helping them.
    Louis isn’t a saint. He’s very likeable and non-threatening and he knows it.

pondo

… what else does his programs show ?

The people behind the label. What would you like to see?

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

So with that in mind… what else does his programs show ?

You could make that statement about many documentaries. I can’t comment any further because haven’t seen it, but will watch it soon.

That is something I’ve never felt towards his stuff. I really respect his approach. No way would I compare his style to say C4’s ‘Life on Benefits’ which I’d say reflects the above comments more.

Each to their own opionions I guess.

maccruiskeen

His Saville one is probably worth a re-watch now we know the truth. I remember watching it and thinking that Saville was a rather weird individual, but Louis didn’t really bring out just how bad he was. Whether this was knowingly or not I don’t know…

He was a guest on RHLSTP (from 32.50) and his thoughts on this (and Max Clifford who he filmed in the same series) are quite interesting. Its a long watch though – better as a podcast download and listen

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DnUUkvGoGs[/video]

yunki
    Free Member

Yes quite

You’d be surprised..

My mum’s latest husband is a pleasant enough chap, professional musician, comfortable middle class chap..

When he met me and my brothers and sisters (behavioural problems and substance abuse) he honestly didn’t know that people like us really existed, thinking we were just characters off the telly

(we’re all one big happy family now FWIW)

TheDTs
    Free Member

I thought it was good.
    Also a close friend is possibly in this position. We know this exists but I am not in this situation personally, so it is useful to see the alcoholic actually at crisis point. That Joe guy, was quite literally on the brink and could have gone either way, Perrier or Vodka..
    He dealt with the French girl’s boyfriend very well, seemed like he could easily get agitated, and he took the wind out his sails very efficiently, nasty piece of work though.
    She seemed to have lost all self worth, tragic situation.
    Also interesting to see the consultant dealing with her. Never did he offer help or suggest any course of action, it had to come from her, she knows what she needs to do and she has to make that decision.
    Overall, Bravo.
    I want to se the Scientologist episode..

jambalaya
    Free Member

I like Thoreux’s programmes and “looking forward” to seeing this on catch-up. I have had quite a few alcoholic friends and colleagues, tbh none of the friendships have stood the pressure.

BoardinBob

So with that in mind… what else does his programs show

Clearly you’re not a fan. I am. For me his documentaries show a pretty non-judgemental insight into a range of subcultures or environments. A tone that on the surface at least does not evoke sensationalism and his manner gets some interesting characters to open up in a way they might not normally.

badnewz
    Free Member

I will watch it.
    I had a 14 hour binge drinking session on the weekend with some friends (stag do).
    The affects have taken a good three days to pass. Not only my body, but my mind also felt absolutely screwed for a good 48 hours.
    It is a poison.
    Most heavy drinkers I know are depressive personalities and are drinking themselves to an early grave because it is, on the surface, a more socially acceptable form of suicide. I think Theroux mentioned something similar in an interview with the Telegraph yesterday, that alcoholics have underlying psychological or social problems, although I wouldn’t want to underestimate how it can grab you out of nowhere.

DrJ

Really felt for the French girl, life wasted and she knew it and was resigned to put up with whatever came her way.

I had a period where I was concerned that my Gamma GT was too high, at around 50. Hers was 3000 !! Jesus!!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Jesus Ro5ey, who pissed in your Shiraz?

konabunny
    Free Member

For me his documentaries show a pretty non-judgemental insight into a range of subcultures or environments.

His Beaker-like “ooh, I’m just a hapless everyman” schtick is a bit tiresome when he organises, executes, produces and edits his documentaries. He pretends not to have a opinion but he sets the narrative.

slimjim78
    Free Member

And?

His technique works. It opens doors that would probably remain closed, and is genuinely interesting to watch.
    Thank god he’s no Bashir

konabunny
    Free Member

And it’s tiresome and disingenuous.

badnewz
    Free Member

Thank god he’s no Bashir

qwerty
    Free Member

Just an observation, but, at the extreme end of addiction I see no difference between alcohol, heroin, cocaine etc. Seems odd that alcohols legal and those other two illegal. I guess we just accept alcohol and its demons better than heroin & cocaine.

BoardinBob

He pretends not to have a opinion but he sets the narrative.

Indeed he does set the narrative. He’d be a pretty crap documentary maker otherwise but his apparent impartial approach in person is exactly why his style works for me, but clearly not for others.

Considering he’s done documentaries on paedophiles, neo-nazis, religious zealots, career criminals etc and not once has he lost the rag with any of them or told them what he really thinks of them in an angry, confrontational or judgemental way, is his most endearing trait for me.

Spin
    Free Member

Any programme that shows vulnerable people is at risk of seeming exploitative or voyeuristic.

It only becomes so if the viewer is invited to make a moral judgement on the subjects.

Theroux refuses to lead us to that judgement. He just asks his largely obvious, mostly banal questions and let’s the subject take centre stage.

I can’t always watch his stuff but I admire it for its deceptive simplicity.

maccruiskeen

Seems odd that alcohols legal and those other two illegal.

the most obvious distinction is its not as easy to make heroin or cocaine in your bathtub as it is to make gin. As the US found out alcohol is pretty much impossible to prohibit.

But also – although at its worst the condition of addiction might be similar, that doesn’t mean alcohol is as addictive.

i_like_food

‘Deceptive simplicity’ is a great way of describing his documentaries in general, and I like his programmes. Yesterday I thought his struggles to contain his own impotence in the face of Joe’s self destruction manifested itself in too many leading (and buck passing) questions to the medical staff… Whose job looked horrendous. That’s my only criticism of an excellent documentary.

EDIT. Rereading that… “Struggles to contain… Etc”. Not sure I’ve ever spoken like that, but somehow typed those words. Amazing what factual TV can do! Back to CBBC for me.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I liked it although it a tough watch. I would have liked to have seen what happened to the French girl and the antiques dealer(?).

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

An interesting watch, especially watching with someone who deals with these type of people day in day out in their job. Apparently it makes up most of the day job

mattwilliams84
    Free Member

I need to catch up with the latest programme but I’ve always found Louis Theroux’s style really effective – it’s true that he wins the trust of people in a variety of vulnerable situations, for the purposes of his documentary, but the outcome for me personally is never a feeling of “telly for telly’s sake” but instead a better understanding than before I watched the programme. That’s the point of watching a documentary.

konabunny
    Free Member

He pretends not to have a opinion but he sets the narrative.

Indeed he does set the narrative. He’d be a pretty crap documentary maker otherwise but his apparent impartial approach in person is exactly why his style works for me, but clearly not for others.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying what I like is the only true path for documentary films (I have terrible taste fwiw). I just think that Theroux’s docs get treated as being objective (see spin’s comment after yours) when they’re not. The effect of the observer on the observed situation is a well-worn debate (and tbf I don’t think Theroux has ever denied it).

Imvho I prefer the work of Nick Broomfield – the decision to appear on camera is a recognition of that “dialogue” between the subject and the filmmaker.

jambalaya
    Free Member

No TV programme is totally impartial, the journalists and/or producers always have an angle, that’s why it’s important to watch a variety of news sources and have a critical eye

PrinceJohn

Was a very interesting watch. Delighted that the south African chap seemed to be getting on top of things, and interesting that someone looked to have diagnosed the root cause of his alcohol abuse and that appeared to have given him the ability to control things better.

When Joe came back with a bottle of Perrier I was delighted for him, and it made me smile about him picking Perrier over any other brand!

I’m not a heavy drinker by any means, but it’s really put me off drinking generally.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Louis Theroux last night’ is closed to new replies.