Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Lotus Carlton – how does it perform against modern hot saloons
  • wrecker
    Free Member

One on autotrader with 19K on it for £100K!!!

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

During the 90s I had a 1994 Nissan Sunny GTIR the last UK one sold with a group N kit and it gave 240 hp on a rolling road dyno – not mythical claimed engine numbers.

It was seriously fast and effective being 4wd, I have had lots of fast cars but nothing approached the sunny, it would hit the rev limiter at an indicated 160mph. All the impreza owners couldn’t get their heads around another car that would take 10 meters out of them on on each gear change – in respect to the Lotus Carlton I had a run in with one when I had a GPZ900r and it was very impressive

mboy
    Free Member

The power to weight of the Focu/Golf is irrelevent, it’s power those FWD, arse-heavy hatches can’t put down.

Except they’re both 4wd with modern high tech setups, and even more grip than they have power!

Lotus Carlton was a damned quick car for the time, the only place it would be quicker than a Golf R would be over a rolling start drag race, or a standing start drag race over a long enough distance (1km or so). On a track it wouldn’t stand a chance I’m afraid, as sorted as it was for its time, and even turning up the wick on the turbos wouldn’t help a great deal as it would only be usable in a dead straight line on a longer circuit.

No doubt the Carlton would be the more engaging drive and a more exciting ownership prospect, but don’t underestimate how much modern technology has advanced the capability of modern cars.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Keep all this ‘car-cock’ talk going, I have a massive hard on for all you market town ring-road heroes.

stumpy01

MrSmith – Member

Keep all this ‘car-cock’ talk going, I have a massive hard on for all you market town ring-road heroes.

Define massive…..does it get in the way of your vision, as it droops down from your forehead? Or perhaps the end dips itself into your soy latte when you try to take a sip…..?

Edukator
    Free Member

Don’t worry Mr Smith, I drive around the local ring road at the speed limit and then only when safe to do so. All of these cars are ridiculous on the public roads and I drive a Dacia. Once upon a time I used to compete. Anyhow you’re absolutely right, I should be embarrassed by posting in this thread which is devoted to cars that I’d fit with a GPS controlled speed-limiter on the public road if I were dictator. They’d do 30mph max in a 30 limit dropping to 25 if the windscreen wiper rain sensor had detected rain.

I thought we were talking hot hatches (ie FWD) rather than 4X4 homologation specials.

jimjam
    Free Member

Edukator

I thought we were talking hot hatches (ie FWD) rather than 4X4 homologation specials.

They’re 4wd hot hatches. And they’re production cars not homologation specials. And anyway, regardless of how many pointless arguments you want to make based on incorrect information and false assumptions it’s all a bit moot.

Something like a Lotus Carlton would cost £120,000 in today’s money so you’re into modified RS6 territory. Would an incredibly rare, expensive and powerful car from yesteryear be quicker than a super saloon from 2016? definitely not. Would it be quicker than the hottest hot hatches? Maybe under the right circumstances, but cars like the Golf R and Focus RS will be much easier to live with day to day and much more of their performance will be usable more of the time.

So for £30k you can now buy a relatively usable, practical day to day car that can hold it’s own with rare exotica from yesteryear.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member
    richmtb

Edukator that’s some beautiful prose up there. I can almost close my eyes and picture Brands Hatch (almost)

How is a FWD hatch arse heavy? The engine is in the front? Anyway out of the top end hot-hatches only the Seat Cupra and the Civic Type R are FWD the rest Golf R, A45 AMG, RS3, Focus RS are AWD.

Incidentally despite the supposed disadvantage of FWD both the Type R and the Cupra can boast sub 8 minute lap times of the Nordschleife (not sure all their AWD rivals have managed that yet)

I think in anything but a fast open circuit the Lotus Carlton would struggle to match their pace

P20

[video]https://youtu.be/MoCYrtcF3mg[/video]
    Carlton v Monaro VBH as mentioned above

squirrelking
    Free Member

I remember only a few years ago they were going for £20k.

Okay, maybe not a few, probably ten. But still 🙁

CountZero

Not sure how it compares performance-wise, but I saw a Focus ST with 13600 on the clock go for £15700 today, I think it was a 64 plate. Tidy looking car, a sort of candy orange colour.
    Good thing I don’t have that sort of money available, I might have been tempted!

holst
    Free Member

Christ, pwnd by an Aussie taxicab. That sure popped my nostalgia bubble.

legend
    Free Member

Not sure how it compares performance-wise, but I saw a Focus ST with 13600 on the clock go for £15700 today, I think it was a 64 plate. Tidy looking car, a sort of candy orange colour.

From a look on pistonheads, that’s about a normal price

wrightyson
    Free Member

The car that cost my mate his life at 19 years old.

JackHammer

Looks a bit chavvy.

benp1

stumpy01

Define massive…..does it get in the way of your vision, as it droops down from your forehead? Or perhaps the end dips itself into your soy latte when you try to take a sip…..?

stumpy01 – 😀

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/6yptiCYBSZo[/video]

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Didn’t get to see much Lotus Omega.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Lotus Carlton – how does it perform against modern hot saloons’ is closed to new replies.