Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lots of stolen bikes recently
  • steveoath
    Free Member

Sad to read these threads about stoeln bikes. Are there any deterrent devices like the motorbike disc locks that could used on MTB discs?

I.E. Something that would act as well as your lock to provide a loud audible signal when disturbed and stop the bike been ridden/wheeled away easily.

xiphon
    Free Member

Within 1 minute you can remove the front wheel with allen keys…

steveoath
    Free Member

True

Cougar

Harder to ride away though. “We’re looking for a thief who’s really good at manuals…”

mindmap3
    Free Member

It’s pretty worrying isn’t it? It’s making me pretty paranoid especially when you read about the gangs who were using Pink Bike to source victims and sell bikes on. I’m amazed at how brazen they are…there was a link to one of their FB pages, with loads of pics of then sccumbags sitting on high end DH bikes.

Someone on here posted about some lads at Cannock trying it in; three in a bike, one on foot with someone pretending to be injured and asking him to stop. Although I’m amazed there isn’t more trouble up there given its not far away from some skanky areas. These city centre trails are asking for trouble if you ask me.

I don’t think there’s much you can do when people are willing to smash down walls or take roofs off. I try to be as subtle as possible and keep mine insured.

wwaswas

“We’re looking for a thief who’s really good at manuals…”

without wishing to stereotype bike thieves, every scrotey kid I’ve ever seen wearing trackie bottoms and a hoodie seems to be able to manual for *miles* whereas I struggle to get my front wheel off the ground long enough to get up a kerb. gits.

binners

From the threads on here a lot seem to be in the same area (in this case South Manchester, previously it always seemed to be Bristol), are targeted, rather than opportunist, and suggest being the same people behind them.

And judging from the link to the alleged worthless little oxygen-thieving scrotes perpetrators FB page, I’d say the solution lies in choosing which set would be best suited to the job….

discoduck
    Free Member

wwaswas

Id just like to say that i thought it was only me who thought like that, 😳

“When i were a lad” in the 70’s 😳 all the rough kids on their nicked raleigh Olympic bikes with handlebars turned upside down could pop wheelies forever !
    One lad at our school could wheelie 63 white lines in the street ! “there were less cars in those days”

I dare say it was these little fookers who used to hoopla tyres round lamp posts !
    ANOTHER pass time i was shite at !

crazy-legs

About the only thing you can do is take all reasonable precautions against losing it in the first place. Locked up at all times (even in the house), as much security as possible and don’t advertise it or your location. Don’t identify the make/model of bike on Strava, don’t post pics of it outside your house, don’t leave it on a roof or boot rack (and check if you’re being followed from trail centres).

Can get those GPS trackers built into bike lights as well and isn’t there some sort of GPS app (kind of like those “I’ve lost my phone” apps) that can tweet or text you if the bike gets moved?

mindmap3
    Free Member

It does sound like following people home from a trail centre is popular – I think I read somewhere that this had happened (or at least was suspected to have happened) a few times at FoD.

I don’t use bike racks, so my bike always goes in the back of the car. Our garage is set back from the road a fair way, enough that even with the door open you can’t really see what’s in there. I also reverse the car onto the drive when putting bikes in and out. It’s crazy that I feel the need to do that!

Bikes are such an easy target and the punishment is so low – one of those scumbags on Pink Bike got busted for handling stolen goods (£4k’s worth of Orange Five)and got a fine or a few hundred quid. It’s not really going to put someone off.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

It still is happening in the FOD you just have to check your mirrors few times on way home.What also has now started in Gloucestershire is people are being followed home on posh road bikes now.Which are now being nick alot more.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I also reverse the car onto the drive (just common sense really and as per Highway Code #201) when putting bikes in and out.

FTFY

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lots of stolen bikes recently’ is closed to new replies.