Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Lots of fat bike love on here
  • seanthesheap
    Free Member

Loads of folks on here seem to like them, we just hired a couple of charge cooker maxi fat bikes out
    and i didn’t like it that much, it felt slow and sluggish, we tried to ride them on as many surfaces as possible, we rode on the beach, tarmac, grass and fine gravel. Perhaps i’ve missed the point? It’s a shame as i was really looking forward to trying one. Anyway as anyone else tried a fat bike and didn’t like it?

oldnpastit

I’ve reported this to the moderators. You’re not allowed to think that kind of thought on here.

seanthesheap
    Free Member

I know, it got me thinking i did something wrong with it, i can’t be the only one though? My girlfriend wasn’t too keen either.
    Hope i don’t upset the folk on fatbiketrackworld.

JoeG
    Free Member

OP dissed 650b as well! 😡

Send him to the reeducation camp so he can learn the truth! 😛

trout
    Free Member

I did not like beer when i first tried it.

seanthesheap
    Free Member

@ trout
    steady, thats beer you’re talking about.

as for 650b, never heard of it. 😉

trout
    Free Member

Your history suggests you come from a roady background so it will feel sluggish on all the surfaces in your list
    get one on some rooty rocky muddy trails. or even your trail center stuff and you should see the point .

not for getting somewhere fast. but certainly for the grin factor

birdage

I don’t like them, but I’ve not tried one. Just feel the need to voice an opinion for no reason.

seanthesheap
    Free Member

Roady background?
    I do own a road bike, but am selling it. although i may get another 🙂
    i started out on MTB’s.
    I would have liked to try it in the woods but no time to ride that far out.
    Perhaps i’m too soft for a fat bike. 😛

rOcKeTdOg

I didn’t like 26″ wheeled bikes after I’d tried a 29er, tried a 26″ wheeled fat Bike & I like them again.

Btw I tried a genesis Caribou & Kona Wo & didn’t like them much either. The charge maxi has a reputation of having odd geometry anyway

JCL
    Free Member

They’re great for bearded, map holder types to get aggressive on.

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Steady on!!

What’s all this talk of 26″ wheels aren’t these banned already. The gravel at any trail centre is not designed for these wheels any longer

Susie
    Free Member

It was high tide. I’d have been happy to wait until we got back to the UK and had different areas to try it, but Sean was really keen on trying one. I didn’t enjoy riding along the beach at all, but it won’t stop me having another go in the future.

dudeofdoom

HERETIC 🙂

Yep on the normal boring flat stuff the big wheels are a nightmare.

Throw it down a gnarly trail in the wet or strangely enough a bmx track and you’ll see why they’re liked, you can really throw them about and thats were the fun factor is.

Northwind

Maybe it’s just me, I always thought the appeal for most folks was the same as a rigid mtb or a cross bike- they’re fundamentally bad, but entertainingly bad

rOcKeTdOg

they’re fundamentally bad, but entertainingly bad

That’s about it, plus they make the same old trails different again as they’ve become too easy on suspension bikes.

They do flatter you though, over cook a corner? No problem the Fatty will pretty much roll over anything you encounter.

oldejeans
    Free Member

but:

wwaswas

Followed a number of different riders on muddy, rooty singletrack last night and watched them struggle with front and rear wheel traction whilst my fat bike just followed the line I wanted. And I was probably the only one not pushing up one slitherfest of a hill.

I think on hard surfaces that there’s no ‘advantage’ to a fat bike in pure riding terms. They’re still fun though 🙂

mikey3
    Free Member

Whats the point of a bike that will just roll over anything,i quite like to feel a few bumps/get shaken up/have to choose a decent line,if I wanted something to flatten everything out i’d just buy a hybrid and ride down the prom.

seanthesheap
    Free Member

climbing traction was very good. i’m in New Zealand so not a lot of mud to try it on. 😀

I might try another when i’m back in Blighty.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

seanthesheap – Member

climbing traction was very good. i’m in New Zealand so not a lot of mud to try it on.

I might try another when i’m back in Blighty.

Odd, rained none stop when I lived there, was a relief to get back to Blighty.

scotroutes

mikey3, I take it all your bikes are fully rigid and you’re still running 1.75″ tyres at 45psi?

seanthesheap
    Free Member

It’s been really hot here on the Coromandel Peninsula, it did rain today though. Where did you live over here?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

seanthesheap – Member

It’s been really hot here on the Coromandel Peninsula, it did rain today though. Where did you live over here?

Maybe it’s hot there at the moment because it’s mid-summer?…..

I lived all over. It’s green and lush for a reason….

chestrockwell

I tried one and it didn’t do it for me. Amusing side show but not a direction I’ll be going in.

seanthesheap
    Free Member

tried one and it didn’t do it for me. Amusing side show but not a direction I’ll be going in.

Ah, cheers, i knew i couldn’t be the only one, what did you try and where did you ride it?

rOcKeTdOg

Fun isn’t for everyone

oliverracing

Borrowed a mates for about 10 minutes, was amazed by quite how sluggish it felt, and also how sluggish/heavy the steering felt, though I will admit a was amazed by how easily it went up a particular steep rocky climb!

molgrips
    Free Member

Fun isn’t the same for everyone

FTFY

rOcKeTdOg

Fun is different? You mean some people enjoy being miserable? How awful

chestrockwell

Ah, cheers, i knew i couldn’t be the only one, what did you try and where did you ride it?

Can’t remember exactly but it was a decent one. Surly maybe? It was on a ride in the North York Moors. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t test every aspect of Fat riding but as mentioned above it was sluggish, heavy and felt dead. I tried it whilst out on a 22 year old bike with the retro gang and can honestly say I preferred my old rigid bike as a side show.

stanfree
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a few and been totally underwhelmed by how ordinary they are. If you like riding trails on a heavy slug that tends to bounce every where then more power to you. I’m also surprised by how touchy quite a lot of the fat bike riders are when you dont develop the ‘Grinfactor’ as soon as you swing your leg over one. I think sometimes people just say the bikes are the greatest thing since sliced bread just to justify spending massive amounts of cash on them . Just my opinion others are available.

jameso

I’m not a fan of fat bikes in general, ie have no need or real urge to own one, but who cares : ) I don’t choose to ride a TT bike either. I have ridden a fat bike though, which is more time than I’d give a TT bike..

vorlich
    Free Member

Did you fiddle with tyre pressures? If you’re outwith the sweet spot for any particular terrain, expect ride quality to be compromised. Also, avoid Tarmac, where possible.

rOcKeTdOg

justify spending massive amounts of cash on them

I got mine for the price of an “enduro” carbon wheelset.

Fun isn’t for everyone, clearly

molgrips
    Free Member

Fun is different? You mean some people enjoy being miserable?

No I mean that which is fun for some people is not fun for others. Simple isn’t it?

stanfree
    Free Member

Fun isn’t for everyone

So you have now said 3 times . This is kinda my point about fatbikers getting a bit touchy when we dont all fall in love with them and give our opinions.

rOcKeTdOg

I like 29ers too, does that make me an anti fun-ist?

boltonjon

Its all about fun for me – having a giggle

I love my fatbike, but not as much as my main full susser

But running a 160mm bike around Berkshire isn’t really necessary – especially in this weather

Its a bit like driving an old Land Rover 90. Bloody slow and awkward, but once you get some momentum up, its all very silly – seat of your pants – ‘will i or won’t i get through this’ type of riding

Its retro in a funny sort of way – its just like biking back in the early 90s before everything became so capable

It has its place – i wouldn’t dare use it on proper challenging parts of the country – but its made my weekly club rides really good fun

Horses for Courses – but i wouldn’t get arsey if someone told me i was wrong. I’d just ride off and have a giggle 🙂

scotroutes

Really? It’s the challenging parts of the country I got mine for.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Lots of fat bike love on here’ is closed to new replies.