• This topic has 23 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jonba.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • LOTS of Ants in the kitchen
  • hora
    Free Member

Not rats, what am I going do?

On google it says find source- difficult but will try. I was kneeling last night just watching them to see if there was a common exit/entrance.

Google also says washing up liquid and coffee? anything else?????????

They have made it onto the work surfaces 😯

project
    Free Member

Talcum powder around the base of units, then hoover them up,qnd put outside near a miserable neighbours house.

johndoh
    Free Member

Put something sweeter and more attractive outside the kitchen.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hora
    Free Member

will do

amedias
    Free Member

Google also says washing up liquid and coffee? anything else?????????

Fire is the cleanser*

Last time this happened to me I used a bait ‘n trap method to collect them in ice-cream tub, slowly it because apparent where they were coming from as more and more of the wanderers ended up trapped you could see where the new ones were coming from.

*I am not responsible for any collateral kitchen disasters

ransos
    Free Member

Nippon.

kayak23

Put a couple of signs up. Little ones.

mark90
    Free Member

We had a load of ants in the kitchen in our last house. We moved.

But we had pretty much gotten rid of them by that point.

There had always been ants nest in the garden under some of the patio slabs, but they then started coming into the kitchen. Took a multi pronged approach.

If you can find the main nest outside, poor boiling water down the entrance. Daily. This didn’t get rid of them all but seemed to significantly reduce the numbers.

Nippon gel near the nest to encourage them to feed on that and take it back inside.

Nippon powder as a barrier around the outside of the house, especially if you can find where there are coming in. In our case it was a small hole in the motar under the patio door.

They seemed to be attracted to the food cupboard (not surprisingly), especially where the fruit juice cartons where stored. Thorough clean of kitchen cupboards. Move the really attractive foods to wall cupboards. Lots of talc under the cupboards.

The above stopped them coming in the house and we seemed to have a lot less in the garden too.

hora
    Free Member

I think the nest is at the entrance of the drive- see the soft pile of earth and hole etc. Lots on the drive itself- its about 10metres? To the rear kitchen door (pantry under the double-fridge freezer) where they seem to be coming from. Does that make sense- could the actual nest be that far away?

mark90
    Free Member

In our case the main nest that has always been present, on a small scale for many years, was a similar distance away. Although by the time they started coming in the house there appeared to be a smaller out post nest about 2-3 meters from the house. Not sure how far they tend to wander for food.

honeybadgerx

Welcome your new insect overlords?

I had a house with an ant problem in the garden, finding the nest entrance holes and putting a load of ant poison granules (sugar granules with killer stuff in) around them get rid of the problem pretty quick, maybe put some just outside where they come in and try find the nest/s? Just be careful if there’s pets/childs around.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

Yes. They will travel a long way for sugary food. In our experience, putting it in wall cupboards did not help, they found the new location overnight.
    The only long term answer is to find and destroy the nest. It is not particularly environmentally friendly, but a gallon of diesel does the job very effectively.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Boric acid in a sugary solution. They go nuts for it and take it back to the nest/mound/hill whatever you call it. It then wipes them out.

FuzzyWuzzy

Had some in my hallway the other day, bought some things you stick on the wall along one of their runs – seems to have worked as not seen any since (3 days later). Ofc they might be busy tunnelling under the carpet instead or something…

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Ant Trap clicky

Have used these several times in the last house had two nests, gone within a week, new house same deal. They last for years.

alanf
    Free Member

I read some years ago that eucalyptus oil is one thing they don’t like.
    Not having any available I tried Olbas oil instead which does contain it.
    Found the entry point and liberally dosed outside an in and that solved it.

Bregante

Chinese ants that have sneaked in aboard a recently imported carbon road frame I’ll wager

teasel
    Free Member

🙂

Not much use if they’re in the kitchen already but for those with a problem nest close to your home, coffee is your friend, apparently. Tip your coffee grinds over the mound or on top of the nest site and they’ll clear off and be replaced by worms who, like us humans, have a penchant for coffee.

I read this but can’t remember where. Not sure how accurate/true it is but a half metre high mound close to my place had this treatment over late winter and for the first time in three years there isn’t any sign of ants.

‘s gotta be better for the environment in general than all those nasty chemicals, surely…

hora
    Free Member

Well they aren’t in the areas around the edge of the kitchen anymore where I sprinkled talc/killer.

Now this morning they’ve relocated and I’ve found them IN the kitchen units.

FFS.

Boric acid in a sugary solution.

only place to buy boric is online?

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/6065/Ant-Stop?gclid=CjgKEAjwwPabBRCXo46OtM_RhGMSJACgCeqApYVI8XMqkh8c-uoq4Krob7Ajz_uHzzmjxToHZ5W6ivD_BwE&src=gfeed&s_kwcid=AL!49!3!52965962411!!!g!43126798392!&ef_id=UoNwtgAAAWbTeOX9:20140522085134:s

That does look good but like the above I’ve no idea where the nest is. I’ve checked for movement around the air brick outside that side of the house AND covered it temporarily. Looks like they’ve built a nest inside the house now?

Should I still get a couple? Put one under the stairs etc etc?

teasel
    Free Member

If they’re inside just get a can of that ant killer spray, any will do. Squirt a line of it right outside their nest, if you can see it, and sit back. Give it an hour or two and they’ll come out to investigate the disturbance, get totally covered in the stuff and start to die. Their mates will soon come to collect the dying/dead and carry them back to the nest, contaminating all they come into contact with. And so on…

hora
    Free Member

I don’t know where the nest is though. I’ll just go bloody overkill- cover all the main points through the ground floor.

My biggest concern is are they EU ants? I don’t want any from the EU here and most certainly not Romanian ants 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

I got the boric acid off a mate who suggested it. I had thousands of the little bleeders all over the patio and they had started to make their way inside. I just left a couple of little blobs out and some in the jar lid. It was incredible watching them line up to feast on it. It genuinely did work but as I say I got it off a mate.

hora
    Free Member

These worked

jonba
    Free Member

Use boric acid at work. Classified as reprotoxin these days (May impair fertility, may cause harm to unborn child) I don’t suppose you are using much but be careful with it.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘LOTS of Ants in the kitchen’ is closed to new replies.