Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lost Strava Data
  • nsbikescore1
    Free Member

I tried to record a ride yesterday on my iPhone but when I came to upload it, only the time ridden was there. All other data like speed and distance didnt upload. I think this is because my phone’s storage capacity was full. Any way of retrieving the full ride?

otsdr
    Free Member

Ride the same track again, download the gpx, change its date and reupload it :D.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

So strava wouldn’t be able to retrieve the data then?

drofluf
    Free Member

No, if the phone had no space to store it the ride data won’t have been recorded anywhere. It is only stored on Strava when you upload, until that time it will only exist on your phone.

Dibbs
    Free Member

If the data’s not on your phone there’s little chance Strava will be able to help. The fact that there’s no speed/distance data seems to indicate that GPS was turned off.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’m fairly sure GPS was ok as strava was showing my mileage covered half way round the ride and at the end but it just wouldn’t upload. It was a road ride which I did with someone else who was with me all the way so I was thinking about just nabbing their data (distance/average speed) and uploading manually. Is that cheating?!?!

mrchrispy

didnt happen if you didnt GPS it 😉

scaredypants

if you can find out where the gps data goes on your phone, maybe you could try opening it with “some sort of gps editing software” and resaving it before sending it to strava from your pc

deadkenny
    Free Member

Potentially the GPS didn’t get a fix, so it’s logged you sat in one location for all that time. If you’re out somewhere with no signal then it can’t use Assisted GPS to get a quick fix and might have been waiting for several minutes to get the fix purely from the satellites. If you then shove it deep inside a backpack or something it may never get the fix.

Where do you keep the phone when riding? Ideally it needs clear line of sight to satellites, though a top pocket in a backpack works okay.

Depends on the phone/device. Some have better receivers than others.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

I thought it might have been the GPS not fixing as it was the first time id used a phone wallet which covered the phone completely. I’ve been out today using the same wallet and strava has worked fine so I can only assume it was the lack of memory yesterday. Anyone know where GPS / strava data is stored on the iPhone??

deadkenny
    Free Member

It’s the initial fix that’s key. If it can get enough satellite positions it can work with a weak signal. Often you get the initial fix when you’ve got it in your hand and hit the start, but if it fails and you stuff it away it might never get the fix. I’ve had that with a Garmin.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

On the version of the strava app that I’ve got it doesn’t allow you to start recording unless there’s signal… Good feature !

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lost Strava Data’ is closed to new replies.