Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • lost post…
  • broadbean
    Free Member

i sold an item on an internet classifieds, for which the buyer has paid in full, but the item has seemingly been lost in the post. i sent the item as a standard package as it was quite small, and so there was no tracking info, nor was it insured (other than the PO standard cover – £39, which is less than the item sold for). now, i'm claiming on the insurance as i have proof of postage, but what should i do in terms of the buyer who has paid for an item that he says he has not received? should i give him his money back? should i give him the PO cheque when it arrives and send him on his way? my conscience says to split the difference, i.e, add PO cheque to amount paid and split this; he won't be as much out of pocket – but i will still be out of pocket. does anyone have an opinion? i assume that this is not some kind of scam…

simondbarnes

You need to refund the full amount.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Full refund I'd say.

This happened to me once and I gave a full refund straight away then claimed my money back on the insurance.

Drac

Your responsible for the item need to pay in full and next time consider recorded it doesn't cost much more.

sockpuppet

full refund.

you could have paid the PO more to cover the full value, after all.

geoffj

Full refund – if it was worth more than £39 you should have sent it recorded. You took the risk, you pay up.

nuke

Whilst I would say the general principle is full refund its not exactly fair in some respects: lets say for example (…and I am not referring specifically to OPs situation because I don't know the exact details) the buyer said that he wouldn't pay for recorded and insured but just standard, it's win-win for the buyer as he saves on postage costs but if it does go missing, its effectively insured as the seller will be expected to give a full refund 😕

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

If it was worth more than £39 you should of sent it standard parcel and insured it for £100 only costs £1.00 or very valuable special delivery.You have to refund full amount what the guy paid for it and wait for the insurance.Your out of pocket from your mistake not his.

njee20
    Free Member

Full refund.

Recorded would've made no difference, save for being able to prove 100% that he's not received it, you've got to send it Special Delivery or as a parcel if you want it insured.

Live and learn.

jonb
    Free Member

Full refund, he paid to have it delivered not for you to post it. It sucks but put yourself in his shoes would you be happy with "It got lost in the post, sorry but I'm keeping the money"

daveells
    Free Member

I am in this situation myself.A mr Magnus Davidson sold me some xtr cranks for £100 two months ago and I never got them.They have been lost in the post.He says he had insured them ,it turns out that it was for thirty pounds!I mailed him asking for my money back,which he took as an 'aggressive' email and said he wasn't going to help me.Eventually he offered me half the money back which i refused as I believe, it is his mistake and not mine.Anyway since I told him that two weeks ago he is still ignoring me.STW please help

postierich
    Free Member

The world is full of people using the lost in the post scam 😕

broadbean
    Free Member

although i see where you are coming from, i am interested in this principle that this is all the sellers responsibility (is this a legal or moral responsibility?) and the buyer is effectively blameless – 'live and learn'? why is this only for me to do? surely the buyer can ask that the item is insured or sent special delivery? not convinced at all by the 'he paid to have it delivered, not for you to post it' argument; he paid to have it posted, in the expectation that it would subsequently be delivered. for all i know, he could have received the item and is sat their waiting for me to refund him his money.

to be honest, i didn't even think about other postage options. will do in future – or at least i will ask the buyer what he/she would prefer.

btw, i will be giving a full refund.

tom84
    Free Member

I am going through this at the moment too x 2! One's a warrantied bolt, of which I have now got another, the other is a brake from here. I trust the guy, and reckon that rather a few things have gone awol in the post recently, but did immediately chide myself for not being more cautious previously, i could have been scammed v. easily.

Drac

for all i know, he could have received the item and is sat their waiting for me to refund him his money.

If you had posted in with a traceable method then you would know, the little extra it costs covers you from potential scam.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Post office strikes delaying delivery?

Top.Dog
    Free Member

quite often see ''Please note that by selecting this delivery option that you accept delivery of the goods at your own risk as this is an uninsured delivery option.'' on shop web sites, why should this case be any different?

broadbean
    Free Member

been too long i think. post office are investigating…

geoffj

quite often see ''Please note that by selecting this delivery option that you accept delivery of the goods at your own risk as this is an uninsured delivery option.'' on shop web sites, why should this case be any different?

That's a useless disclaimer aimed at trying to limit liability with uninformed buyers. Not legally binding IIRC.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘lost post…’ is closed to new replies.