Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Lost Passport in the USA – should I panic???
  • boltonjon

A big call out to the seasoned STW travelling folk

Realized too late after an internal flight that my passport was still on the plane. By the time i got back to the airport, the plane was on the way to Dallas

Awaiting lost & found feedback in the morning

I’ve consulted the government website and have downloaded all relevant documents, will get a police report in morning and book a meeting with the British Consulate ASAP

However, can anyone offer any of their experiences in such a pickle?

How quickly to the consulate produce the emergency passport?

Hoping to travel back on Thursday evening

Any experiences would be welcome

Yes, and before you say it, i know that i’m a tit! 🙂

Many thanks!

drofluf
    Free Member

Send us a postcard from Guantanamo 😀

Seriously, you’re not the first and you won’t be the last, the Consulate are fairly used to sorting new passports. I don’t know how long it takes but depending how long it takes to get an appointment travel on Thursday may be tight! Just a gut feel though

I assume you’ve seen this link? http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/short-notice

boltonjon

Thanks drofluf – thanks for the link

Been through all the Government stuff – and have a big list to attack tomorrow morning

I’ve got everything crossed that it turns up in Dallas!

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I once left my passport in a sex show in Amsterdam (pre 9/11); the consulate wrote me a letter to show passport control that literally read like a letter from my mum to the PE teacher at school, it had no photo on it just my name and I strolled through passport control at both ends.

Hope it turns up as I doubt Americans are as laid back.

alfabus
    Free Member

I lost mine in France once – just showed my driver’s license at the ferry port and they let me back in.

I suspect the US of Stateside will be a bit more stringent.

Dave

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Dont panic!
    Well not yet anyway

My GF thought she’d lost our passports in France 2-3y ago
    They actually turned up at the last minute but the story is as follows

After turning our Gite upside down over 2 days we gave up and phoned the Consulate
    Our nearest office was at one of the ports not Paris BTW

Incredibly posh and pompous sounding bloke said if we really wanted to we could drive to him (approx 100miles) and he’d issue temporary paperwork to get us back in the UK, I cant remember if he wanted to see photo ID eg driving licence but he was a bit bored of the conversation and lead me to believe it wasnt a big deal

He went on to say it would be a decent wedge of cash, cant recall how much but poss £80 each for the 4 of us, and it was a long to his office way plus the UK and French authorities wouldnt be at all bothered by a car carrying a family turning up unannounced saying theyd lost their passports for the ferry

I was about to make the trip cos I didnt need the stress of a cavity search at either Dover or Calais when she realised where shed left them for safe keeping
    Which was nice

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

a friend of mine lost his in Czech, well actually put in in another bag which he managed to send on to the UK ahead of him! He spent the morning waiting around the consulate in Czech and parted with around £100 but got a letter much described above to get back in to the UK.

I have however got back on the ferry from France with no paperwork at all, 5 of us in the car and 4 passports presented and checked. this was a few years ago now mind, not sure their so lax now.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Does it help to have a photocopy with you?

atlaz
    Free Member

Can’t hurt but photocopies are easily forged. Anyway, I think they get a feeling quite quickly about how genuine you are if you turn up and tell them the story. That said, never underestimate how jobsworthy UK overseas consulates/embassies are.

br
    Free Member

If you do need to visit the ‘local’ consulate, I wonder where you’ll need to get to…, big place is the US if you can’t fly 😳

Does it help to have a photocopy with you?

Always carried a photocopy of passport and any visa’s plus spare photo’s – in my suit bag rather then carry-on – never needed them, but…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Twin passports are good , how ever you get taken into a room and asked why you left on 1 and came back on another….

atlaz
    Free Member

If you do need to visit the ‘local’ consulate, I wonder where you’ll need to get to…, big place is the US if you can’t fly

A lot of bigger cities will have a local British representative to help out. When I washed one passport I called him to ask what to do to avoid a 250 mile round trip (short by US measures) to the nearest consulate

bencooper
    Free Member

Twin passports are good , how ever you get taken into a room and asked why you left on 1 and came back on another….

Really? I’ve never had that. How do they know?

scud
    Free Member

Hi mate,

Let me know if i can do anything from this end for you?

Did losing passport coincide with red wine consumption by any chance?

and am i allowed to take the pi*s severely if you get back to ride at the weekend?

Paul

trail_rat
    Free Member

Different passport numbers ….. No visa for the country you just came from ……

I washed my passport – including washing visas clean out of it …

Decided i should fly back on my other one.

Got on the flight no bother as lax security at malabo airport.

Got through france no bother.

Hit the uk , aberdeen and got asked hundred and 1 questioms , taken aside to room and asked why id left on one passport and came back on another …. Produced my second passport in its crinkled form looking like the dog had eaten it …….

globalti
    Free Member

Couple of weeks ago at Schiphol I met a Dutch guy who had lost his passport; he had just come back from an office at the airport where the Dutch authorities had issued him with a temporary passport (pink!) in half an hour. I don’t think that would happen in Britain.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

It will be fine as long as you look good in an orange jump suit and can kneel all day every day with your hands behind your back.

nosedive
    Free Member

it should be fine. you just have to hope your identity isn’t used to assassinate any Hamas members

Andy

Hmmm I predict this…

I think they get a feeling quite quickly about how genuine you are if you turn up and tell them the story.

followed by this….

Send us a postcard from Guantanamo

So basically you are frakked 😀

(any help you need etc etc Jon)

boltonjon

Cheers guy

I’m currently in Phoenix with a connecting flight out to Miami late tonight – apparently my photo ID will allow me onto the internal flight

There is a British Consulate in Miami which i’m about to book a appointment with

I’m meant to be travelling out to Whistler a week Friday on holiday, so will desperatly need another passport for that trip – and my passport can only be issued in the Isle of Man – so I need to get back there next week, and the UK home office say that i can’t get a premium passport after cancelling my current one – so this could be a major issue

Andy & Scud – cheers for the offers and potential piss taking

Coolhandluke – i look great in orange!!! 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hopefully airlines find it !

boltonjon

Collecting temporary passport in Miami at 9am tomorrow

Its gonna be a long day though – got a red eye from Phoenix into Miami, meetings all day and then a midnight flight into London

Just got everything except the rubber glove going through security mind 🙂

br
    Free Member

at least you’ll be more careful with the next one…

As a very seasoned traveller I always carry everything in the same place –

Passport in jacket l/h inside pocket, unless I’m actually in the airport and have checked in, then it is in my shirt pocket. Once I’ve shown my passport for the last time, it goes back to the inside pocket. Seat tab is then in my shirt pocket until landing. This applies to all items; phone, wallet etc.

It does mean that I always need an inside and shirt pocket though, my OCD problem 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

If you can hop into Canada you’re sorted. They will be much easier on you.

jota180
    Free Member

It does mean that I always need an inside and shirt pocket though, my OCD problem

I’m a bit anal about where my passport is too, I nearly always wear one of these when travelling as it has a zipped passport pocket inside of the chest pocket

boltonjon

I’m home!!!

Now i just need to get another passport for a holiday out to Canada next Friday

cheers guys – you cheered me up when i was feeling pretty miserable!

MarkN
    Free Member

Welcome back. Can’t you just get then to forward on your old passport?

Aint it terrible who our immigration lets in these days… 😀

No sign of the old passport yet? At least if you know it has been found and returned that you know where it is.

Andy

Surprised we let you back in from the IoM tbh let alone the USA….

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Dallas, Pheonix, Miami, . .Whistler . . . what you need is a mule who can fetch carry and look after your valuables for you . . .

28k a year + expenses and i’m yours… a small price to pay for peace of mind when abroad. 😀

I’d also check you were posting in the correct sub forum for you too . .

Andy

Whathaveisaidnow if you saw how he rides his bikes you DEFINITELY DONT want to be his mule 😯

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Whathaveisaidnow if you saw how he rides his bikes you DEFINITELY DONT want to be his mule

lol . .i’ll think about re-quoting accordingly

boltonjon

Good idea Andy – sell the bikes and get a mule.

No more punctures, expensive trips to the bikeshop or peddeling uphill

All for £28K + expenses + hay = this sounds like great value!! 😀

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Lost Passport in the USA – should I panic???’ is closed to new replies.