Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Lost my motivation to ride totally
  • iamanobody
    Free Member

Over the last 10 years or so i have ridden 3-4 times per week, mostly just to distract from the fact i wasn’t happy in my personal life. I have since reassessed, have my own house, life moving forward, new friends etc and as a result have a shed full of bikes, time, but no inclination actually use them!! Not sure what i am asking but seem slightly confused as to why i don’t want to be bothered by my bikes!!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

£100 collected?

Cougar

Ride partially for a bit, work back up to totally?

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Mix it up a bit fella. What style of riding do you do?

I went from wanting to race and and get short fast loops in then bought a fatbike shifted down a few gears and now twiddle my way round the peak on long day epics taking in all the beautiful scenery I was panting to much to see or appreciate before!

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Although I am aware that in a veiled way I may have just encouraged you to by a fatbike! 🙂

core

Following people on instagram who post amazing landscape photo’s taken during bike rides is what keeps me inspired to ride, that and the stooge thread on here……………

iamanobody
    Free Member

road and mtb – genuinely have no desire to even open the shed!! Not complaining just wondering what the hell has happened!!

iamanobody
    Free Member

re the instagram comment – i post incessantly on instagram as i love to be outside. Enjoying walking and climbing etc

jekkyl

some days you get that, where you might have a ride planned and all you can think about is the uphills and the slog and the fact that it might rain. BUT as soon as you’re out and in it it’s great fun. Are you saying that even when you do go out you don’t enjoy it?
    I’ve never regretted going for a ride but I’ve not always wanted to go out when I did.

iamanobody
    Free Member

yeah – know what you are saying. It’s as if all my priorities have shifted – have 5 nights a week now where i can ride but no weekend days – think that is the issue tbh. The social aspect of riding was great but am getting social time elsewhere now so even that is not that much of a pull. Maybe i don’t need it at the minute 🙁

bit sad!

NZCol

Living on your own
    High speed internet
    I know exactly whats happened….
    EDIT: A new burd. I see. There’s your answer, she wants soft furnishings.

In all seriousness, apply the 10minute rule. Go for a ride, if after 10 minutes you are still not into it then go home.

iamanobody
    Free Member

Not even done that lol!! New lass may be a distraction …

Rosss
    Free Member

If you’ve got a new girl in your life persue that for a bit. I love riding my bike more than pretty much anything else but I don’t ride all that often compared to some. I just ride my bike when I have time and I think “I fancy a quick spin”. Don’t make it a chore just leave the bikes there and ride them as and when you fancy. If you have a few maybe just sell them and get one nice one for when you do go out and spend the cash on other hobbys.

Cougar

If you’ve got a new girl in your life persue that for a bit

Ie, buy her a bike.

hora
    Free Member

Ride when you want and when you feel like it OP. If it starts to feel like a job/routine bin it.

I found myself riding slowly in circles the other day- for no reason. I loved that more than my last ride in the Peaks. The ride before that was fantastic – I felt like a pro. don’t expect EVERY ride to be better/good.

I also starting worrying and thinking about problems whilst out on the bike. Hated that- it should be to clear your mind, not swamp your thoughts.

Hohum
    Free Member

I haven’t been riding for a few months now either, the number of rides I would go out for just fell off a cliff at the end of August.

I am not beating myself up about it though.

I am just going to enjoy other things in my life and hope that the desire to go out and ride comes back soon.

As with most things in life just remember that “this too shall pass”.

rugbydick

I lost my riding mojo a while ago, so I took up trail running.
    Still love my bikes and riding them, I just fancy doing something different for now.

I’m sure I’ll get back to riding them again sometime soon. But nothing wrong with taking a change in direction (whether permanent or temporary).

40mpg

Mix it up a bit fella. What style of riding do you do?

I went from wanting to race and and get short fast loops in then bought a fatbike shifted down a few gears and now twiddle my way round the peak on long day epics taking in all the beautiful scenery I was panting to much to see or appreciate before!

This is me. Buy a fat bike. Find other fat bikers. drink beer. have fun. job done!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pMw4cd]PA266302[/url] by T*inbred, on Flickr

Theres more to riding than just riding!

vickypea
    Free Member

If you were riding that frequently for 10 years, I can’t imagine that it’s a permanent loss of interest. Just go with how you feel, and enjoy other things for a while.
    Just don’t take the opportunities for granted. I’ve got to stay off MTB for 6 months, and I’m really missing it.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have barely ridden for the last 5 years (since my kids were born) but recently joined a gym and have become addicted to spinning – love just sitting there, pushing myself hard to better my figures whilst listening to music and not having to worry about weather/cars/crashing etc.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Cold, wet dark and muddy.. It’s an effort.
    You are on the slippery slope of can’t be arsed..

cinnamon_girl

Can relate to that! Years of rubbish health means I can’t do what I used to and can’t see the point of single digit pedal’n’walk pootles. 🙁

robdob
    Free Member

I’ve been the same recently, didn’t really want to ride at all.

I’d set myself the goal once of doing the C2c on my own and I just decided to go and do it and stop making excuses. I found that when I did it (and I still wasn’t excited about doing it the day I started!) things changed and I found something new I liked – am now planning my next tour!

JoeG
    Free Member

Fatbike +1! 🙂

Mine really rekindled my interest in riding when I bought it almost 2 years ago. I was a bit “meh” about riding for a bit before I got mine.

jota180
    Free Member

Just give it up and do something else, life’s too short and all that.

Hang onto a bike and If you come back to it, great, if you don’t that’s great too

cinnamon_girl

Even a new bike doesn’t push me out the door. 😐

Do something else? cba’d.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Cmon CG.. That’s an awesome bike you’ve now got.
    Ride the thing and no more excuses.

coogan
    Free Member

You may just have no interest in it any more. Can happen. It’s not the end of world, plenty other stuff to do other than bikes. No point forcing yourself as you’ll probably end up losing even more interest.

dunmail
    Free Member

The ten minute rule sounds good.

To the OP: were your rides always the same? I.e. local trails or trail centres with little variation? Maybe try something completely different, doesn’t matter what it is (well cycling wise) but it might kickstart your interest.

iamanobody
    Free Member

Mixed it up – based in the Peak and did loads of unofficial trails plus road also

rhayter

Give yourself the winter off. Don’t stress it. If you get the urge, then ride. If you don’t, relax. Get off this forum. Try and limit bike web sites and mags. Try to find a way to not loose all your fitness over the winter (jogging, gym – not spinning classes though) and then have another go in March/April time. Wait for half decent weather. Ride somewhere new.

If, after all that, you don’t enjoy it, then maybe – maybe – you’re over it. That’d be a shame. But don’t beat yourself up over it. Sometimes, it’s just time to move on.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Currently in this situation myself. Last year after breaking my leg I wanted to do nothing but ride and couldn’t from Feb till July. When I finally got out i rode 4/5 times a week and was loving it. Then Come October i tore my Meniscus in my knee and the riding dropped to 1/2 times a week as it was hurting my knee. Then Stopped completely From December till feb minus a few rides round the park after my Knee Arthroscopy.

The good weather came about April and i was starting to enjoy riding apart from one ride when it was a mudbath.
    Come June My Achillies went bang and was finally discharged after a Op and some Physio about 4 weeks ago now. Been Back at work since September and I’m craving a ride and planning to do it on my days off.

But I’m on day 2 of 3 off and I just can’t motivate myself to go out at all. Its Dark,very windy and heavy showers. My Bikes sat under the stairs clean but with both tyres completely flat.

I even thought about selling it when were a bit short of money while i was off sick. But was given a stern telling off by the missus of do not sell it, the buzz will come back and you’ll be devestated when you cant ride it because its not there.

I’m sure the buzz is going to come back, but i just wish it would hurry up.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Buy yourself some new kit to cope with the rubbish weather if the money’s there.

Think of somewhere within biking range you haven’t been for a while and make time to ride there.

Get your new friend to drop you off somewhere with your bike so you have to ride home.

Get back in touch with the crowd you used to ride with.

Surely at least one of the above is doable?

cinnamon_girl

Cmon CG.. That’s an awesome bike you’ve now got.
    Ride the thing and no more excuses.

I know cloudnine, it’s lovely and I’d rather just look at it. 🙂

TimothyD
    Free Member

My take is that I’ll always be a bike rider deep down, so I don’t stress about spells of not riding my bike. I might go for a few months of not riding, and then will go out for rides every week for a few. Most things in life ebb and flow I guess.

rhid

If I feel like I’m losing interest I buy a new bike! It’s a good way to keep keeness levels up. When I say buy a new bike that tends to mean a few frame. It works for me!

pete68
    Free Member

How about entering some sort of event, whether it’s a race series or trail quest type of thing. I always do the gorrick races over winter as it gives me a focus and a reason to stay riding.

fivespot
    Free Member

YOU ARE SOMEBODY……..change your user name, go into your shed and look at your bikes, remember all the good things that happened on them. They are like old watches, get on one, wind it up…and have a great “TIME” again 😉

TimothyD
    Free Member

That’s the best justification for a new frame ever!

iamanobody
    Free Member

Just signed up for a half marathon lol – change in direction 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Lost my motivation to ride totally’ is closed to new replies.