Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Lost in the post
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

This morning I received a package in the post but there was no item inside. It had obviously escaped or been stolen at some point in transit. It looks like it was well packaged so I think it's unlikely that it could have escaped but I suppose it's a possibility. The amount of money the sender spent on postage would indicate that they did include the item in the package. The postie should have made me sign for it but didn't, he just left it at the communal post box we have where I live.

I trust my neighbours totally and I think it's Royal Mail that have 'mislaid' it. I will go down to the Royal Mail depot tomorrow morning with the empty package and try to sort it out. Has anyone had this happen to them? What was the outcome and did you ever get items back?

theotherjonv

Sorry to say especially as the poster seems to have done their job properly, but it's not your problem. It's for them to sort out. If it was valuable / needed signature he'll have some sort of insurance on it I'd assume. You need to contact them with this info and they have to deal with the PO. Up to you whether you push for a refund immediately or let them deal with the PO first.

Obviously keep the package with its tracking numbers etc. Be interesting to see whose signature is on the postie's sheet if it's not yours.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Yeah it's a pain. I'm really disappointed about it and can do without it at the moment. It was a spring for my forks that I bought cheap because I can't afford a brand new one and now it's gone.

I don't think anyone signed for it. It has one of those 'signed for' stickers on it both parts of which are still attached to the package. It would be very difficult where I live for the postie to find someone to sign and as it's remote they tend to just leave it there. This isn't usually a problem but rules are there for a reason so maybe I can get them on that.

I'm hoping they have some kind of lost property system and that they can locate it. Maybe they'll say 'this spring' when I go down and ask about it tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

DT78
    Free Member

In the last couple of weeks I've had two packages which should have been signed for just shoved through the letter box whilst I've been at work. Some new directive for RM?

Anyways as others have said it's the sellers responsibilty to sort

zaskar
    Free Member

Happens all the time (Thats why I post stuff insured…)

For the extra £2 its worth it and all the hassel.

Seller refunds buyer, seller claims on Royal Mail, payed up and sorted!

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

The form I just picked up says I can claim for compensation but I'm not sure that applies to normal recorded delivery. Hopefully they'll find it anyway. How can they possibly loose a suspension spring?

tomhughes46

Royal Mail 'mislaid' my passport, despite it being sent via special delivery. Didn't notice until after I signed for that it had been removed from the packaging. Chased postie, amended signature. In the end they charged me for a copy of this, and basically told me to b*ger off.

BigJohn

I agree with the OP. Spring seems to have gone here too. It's freezing outside and my fingers have gone numb.

spooky_b329

GiantJaunt, you can't claim for it yourself, the seller needs to do it. He paid for the postage, he holds the receipt and tracking number, the post office are unlikely to deal with you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Lost in the post’ is closed to new replies.