Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • lost hamster (distraught daughter content)
  • manitou
    Free Member

Right the little wotsit has escaped. Any (sensible,please) suggestions as to how to find the beast? Anything to stop my daughter from crying…

ollie
    Free Member

Borrow a neighbours cat?

Seriosly though, This happened to me and I never found Harry again.They like to chew cables so if you see a puff of smoke your probably close.

montylikesbeer

get the pictures out of the little fella, check size, colour and disposition and get down to the pet shop for a fresh one, top tip regards size: too big and say he must have found a food store! too small and crack on how much the young un needs to feed the fella up.

It might work ……………..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coffeeking
    Free Member

Make everything in the house silent and buy a cheap stethescope, start listening! Had loads of hamsters as a kid, really the only solution is to make sure they dont escape in the first place as they are very good at hiding, however often they came “home” (or as close as they could get) after a couple of hours.

ollie
    Free Member

You could go and buy another that looks the same, parents did this to me countless times.

tyger
    Free Member

Check under sofas – favourite hiding place

DaRC_L

Leave the cage open with food in it – the trouble with the blighter’s being nocturnal is waiting for them to come out.

brant
    Free Member

How long’s it been gone?

Nibbles used to regularly escape, but come back again. Leave the cage open and it might return.

Toby used to leave her in her cage on the kitchen table at night, and one night she climbed the stairs, and up the curtains, into his bunk bed and woke him up by biting him.

Nibbles is no more since Mrs Brant came home with a 2nd greyhound, who did what greyhounds do.

Nibbles is now buried under a loganberry bush, and judging by the crop, is excellent fertilizer.

cp

maybe lay little stashed of food around in visbible places (though close to potential hiding spots so he wont get too scared to get it). when i was a kid the little devil spent hours under a cabinet before finally making an appearance when all was quieter later on. i assume he was hungry!

surfer
    Free Member

Replacement, its the only way.Although there is a risk the first one is found later!!

Had this problem myself so I dont underestimate how big a deal it is for a little one.

beaker

Set a trap…. something like a glass coffee jar set at an angle propped up with books or something with food at the bottom. Little Hammy has to climb up to the top, tries to get the food slides in and can’t climb back out.

VanHalen

ours escaped 3 times!

first time it was at a friends and apparently he lived under her sofa for 3 days before getting thirsty and going home.

secont time it was the day before our honeymoon and the little basterd got under the floor boards. on the first floor. we had to get friends to come over and look for him on a daily basis. when he got thirsty he was found in the middle of the floor. When i ripped the shower out 6 months later there was a perfectly made hamster nest under the floor under it containing bedding and food – he had obviously nipped out in the night to furnish his new house from his old!

third time (and worst) was he got under the downstairs floor boards and our house has a big underfloor void. we could hear him sctratching to get back out from the gap in the floor but couldnt get to him. we had to gut up a tea towl into long strips some some purchace to climb back up. he looked very sorry for himself when he returned. claws worn down and gammy eyes.

if we called him he would come and look for us.

basically make sure he`s not stuck and dont put water or food out for him.

damion
    Free Member

+1 for Beaker. I had dozens escape as a kid, used to find peanuts squished into stickle bricks propping up a milk bottle with food at the bottom the best trap.

Can you even get stickle bricks now?

MrsToast
    Free Member

Get a humane mouse trap – a fairly roomy one if the hamster in question is a Syrian one, they’re quite a bit bigger than mice. Pop some hamster bedding in it and some treats, and wait. Hopefully one morning you’ll wake up to find the hamster curled up in it.

ski
    Free Member

My daughters hamster used to keep escaping, well the facts were my daughter used to keep letting him out.

Which meant me getting up in the middle of the night trying to work out where all the scratching noises were coming from.

Caught him eventually after the washing machine started to smoke one day, taking the back off revealed a nest he had made including a stash of food!

She now has fish to look after now 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

mine escaped a few times. I put some food in the bath and built a ramp up to the bath. Worked a treat, she was there in the morning.

jedi

look in bowl/saucepans.mine escaped as a kid loads but the last time it fell intoa vase kept in the kitchen cupboard and we didnt find it till it starved to death 🙁

Trimix
    Free Member

A hungry cat will help in finding it.

mt
    Free Member

Has Freddie Star been round, if your not sure check if any bread is missing.

sambo2
    Free Member

I had several escapees, 1 or 2 were never found although most of them would turn up within the week.
    We got all the pint glasses in the house, set them up in different rooms on its side with some fluffy bedding stuff and some food in them. Works a treat, usually found them curled up inside. Its more of a cozy place to sleep than a trap really. I would say give it 4-5 days if there is no sign get a replacement.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Do you want a guinea pig to replace it? the bastards in the rented house opposite ours moved out last week and left theirs in the hutch in the garden. Luckily the people next door to them noticed and have been looking after it.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Awwwwwwwwwwwww! I love guinea pigs, they’re ace.

Our hamster never escaped, but he did get into the sofa one time. We had to dismantle it and get him out before dad came home …

Rich
    Free Member

The 2 times ours have escaped, they have been waiting for us when we came home, and ran to us, seemingly desperate to get back in their cage.

So cant really help, sorry.

mrsflash
    Free Member

I’m afraid when my hampster (I notice you’re all spelling it wrong!) escaped he was never seen again. I like to think he made friends with the mice we had in the house and lived with them happily ever after.

amosridl
    Free Member

Sister in law lost hers for months. They had one of those fancy plastic cages with tubes, away for the nght and they came back to find it eaten open and the wee thing gone. Eventually it was found (by me) sitting on top of the dog food box under the sink. Further investigation showed a whole in the back of the pet food cupboard in the kitchen.

Thing was huge and had developed from a cute wee pet to a muscle bound survialist ham-mutant.

Funny thing was the sister in law had been saying for months she could hear it but we all put it down to some kind of post pet death stresss

Sandwich

Has Richard Gere been in the area? 😀

retro83
    Free Member

look:

inside sofas
    burrowed into soil in houseplant pots
    for borrow marks in corners of carpets

leave choco drops and breakfast cereals in a bowl and wait for the beast to come scavaging

manitou
    Free Member

Cheers guys! still looking for the little bugger… Thanks for the tips. 😕

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

peanut butter and a humane trap, they love peanut butter, but they are wiley little buggers.

Ours lived in our wall for 6 weeks, cut holes to try and get her out and set traps. In the end she turned up in the kitchen bin (swing lid) one morning, she’s been coming out the wall every night to feed from the bin (and we also found a hole in her food bag) but this night the lid had swung behind her and she couldn’t get out

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

had several gerbils escape, and they are the same whiley buggers to catch again.

tho one did climb up the stairs to our bedroom and was sat by the door looking at us when we woke up.

mrsflash
    Free Member

It’s probably asleep somewhere at the moment, you need to keep looking tonight.

Drac

When I was 16 my brothers escaped and was missing for ages. Early one morning I was late for work and was rummaging under the sink for a cloth to polish my boots with, found a lovely soft one. I nearly shit my pants though when it wriggled just as I was about to buff my boots.

mamadirt
    Free Member

If you do use a humane trap, make sure you put some of the hamster’s old stinky bedding in it -a couple of times when the hamsters have gone walkabout in school they’ve been found in the toilets 😉 (I kid you not). Still reckon the best bet is to leave the cage open though with plenty of treats inside and hopefully the little fella will return of is own accord.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘lost hamster (distraught daughter content)’ is closed to new replies.