Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Lost for words moments. What's yours?
  • iolo
    Free Member

What percentage of that BMI chart are overweight due to medication and illness?

GrahamS

I don’t know. But what medication or illness would cause such a massive rise in obesity levels in a 28 year period?

molgrips
    Free Member

I struggled to describe the sound of the fighter jets in the air yesterday.

peteimpreza

Girl at work saying she will do a charity “challenge” so she will have her holiday paid for by her sponsors.

i.e friends a colleagues

leftyboy
    Free Member

My bike accident in May 2013 was a classic too:

I’m riding on a cycle path on the pavement when a car just turns left across me resulting in me flying over his bonnet to land in a perfect headstand.

Driver jumps out of the car and says “I thought you’d stop”

I did enjoy his repeating this to the police as I was put into the ambulance on a backboard with a full restraint collar on!

tightywighty
    Free Member

stewartc – Member

Seeing this today for the first time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzP1XC51kro

Holy shitting bugger that left me speechless too 😆 I honestly thought that must have been around 1995, it was actually filmed 6 months ago.

willard

That video is awesome, truly inspiring…

Northwind

I’ll just leave this here

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeoYX_OUwY8[/video]

Drac

“So how long have you felt like this before you rang 999?”

“19 years.”

saxabar
    Free Member

^^^^ Holy Jesus and all that is good in the world, WTF! ^^^^

cfinnimore
    Free Member

“Where’s the KP?”

“Away for a long stand”…

CAMAAAAAAN.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I was once having a ‘discussion’ with a prisoner about some PSO (prison service order) & he said, ‘trust me guv, I’m 99% right half the time’
    My maths isn’t shit hot so I was speechless till I worked it out.

fj1200
    Free Member

Stewartc I am now lost for words
    Was that the 1998 Romany travelling People annual conference knees up in
    Billericay?

billyboulders
    Free Member

Standing outside the playground after dropping my five year old daughter off at infants school. It was the last day of term and all the children had bought toys in. A little lad from her class, in floods of tears, comes over to his fat, tattooed, fag smoking mum and between sobs explains to her another lad has accidentally stood on his action man and broken it.

Her reply, “Well don’t come crying to me boy, go and smack ‘im in the f###ing mouth!”
    😯

lodious
    Free Member

I worked with a lady from Cadishead who made a pretty straight proposition in the stairwell at work “Would you like to come round this weekend?…the only time my boyfriend f^^^s me is when his mates come round to watch”

I was to intimidated to take her up on the offer, but it still gives me a twitch in the pants.

lucien

I worked with a lady from Cadishead who made a pretty straight proposition in the stairwell at work “Would you like to come round this weekend?…the only time my boyfriend f^^^s me is when his mates come round to watch”

I was to intimidated to take her up on the offer, but it still gives me a twitch in the pants.

.thats no “lady” IMHO

klumpy
    Free Member

Reading in the local news today that 70% of the local population are overweight or obese, as many “healthy weight” as obese (28%). Okay BMI isn’t exactly a great measurement, but seriously ?

An increase in average population height would send BMI up, as it incorrectly assumes weight should increase by the square of height. (And it doesn’t account for muscley types, and there’s plenty of fellahs liftin’ these days.)

martinhutch

I’ve just watched that vid all the way through. How does he keep going for that long? 😯

DrP

An increase in average population height would send BMI up, as it incorrectly assumes weight should increase by the square of height. (And it doesn’t account for muscley types, and there’s plenty of fellahs liftin’ these days.)

I can pretty confidently say that the rise in this nation’s BMI and waist line has very little to do with the minority of “tall weightlifters”, and more to do with Greggs and McDonalds…

DrP

Drac

I can pretty confidently say that the rise in this nation’s BMI and waist line has very little to do with the minority of “tall weightlifters”, and more to do with Greggs and McDonalds…

Hahaha! Now that made me laugh.

bencooper
    Free Member

Actually, there’s some interesting evidence that the increase in obesity isn’t down to eating more:

http://velvetgloveironfist.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/lets-face-some-facts-about-obesity.html

DrP

Ben – don’t muddy the waters!!

Yes, since wartimes the calorie intake may have shrunk in some cases, and we eat (on average) a higher proportion of fresh fruit and veg per day.
    However, we are still getting fatter…

If you weight 140kg and rarely move, let alone exercise, spouting “But on average the nation is eating fewer calories” doesn’t help your cause…

DrP

Northwind

DrP – Member

If you weight 140kg and rarely move, let alone exercise, spouting “But on average the nation is eating fewer calories” doesn’t help your cause…

Is the point not more that so much of the message is about overeating so people aren’t looking at the right cause? Everyone I know that decides to lose weight attacks it with diet first and then sometimes exercise second.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think it’d be easier to get people doing something fun and active than to get them to eat few enough calories to match a sedentary lifestyle, tbh, because eating food is actually enjoyable.

I would like to see those graphs plotted alongside public transport usage.

DrP

I think the best approach to this whole idea is to understand it’s a national problem, but to address it on an individual basis.

I.e. if I watch (or watched – I was at Legoland yesterday) a morbidly obese family all tucking into full-fat coke, double burgers, large fries, piles of ice cream, crisps, sweets, and so on. And this pattern is likely to continue day in day out. Then this particular family should address their weight/health concern via diet mostly.

It’s the equivalent of me constantly smacking a hammer against my head, complaining I have a headache, but feeling helpless as “recent studies have shown that in some cases, headaches are caused by a rare genetic mutation that simply cannot be fixed”…

DrP

GrahamS

Sorry sorry sorry… I didn’t mean to derail this amusing thread into another fat debate. 😳

Can we all just agree that 64% of UK adults are simply under-tall for their weight and get back to the OP about “lost for words” moments?

discoduck
    Free Member

Another car one !

Had a head on crash about two years ago albeit at jogging pace, a ford C Max people carrier thing driving the wrong way UP a dual carriageway !

I was in an ageing Discovery that belonged to work, it made a right mess of the ford and the first words he uttered when he got out of the car was ” how long is this going to take ? I’ve just been shopping and I don’t want the ice cream to melt” gobsmacked

I managed to restrain myself and tried explaining the situation and he just pointed out that he had seen the Police do it ! And other people also did when the traffic was blocked on the other carriageway, again gobsmacked

I captured the aftermath on my iPhone plus his confession on driving the wrong way up the road and the insurance company tried wriggling out of it by saying it was a NO fault claim !
    And again !!!!!!

So I sent them a copy of the confession.

brooess
    Free Member

I’m not lost for words that STW has turned the thread into an argument that has nothing to do with the original post 😀

DrP

I was going to post “this has gone way off target, and I’m off…”

!!

DrP

thegreatape
    Free Member

That reminds of a nightshift in Nottingham when I drove from the roundabout up onto the A610, only to meet an older chap coming down off it in a clapped out old banger towing a trailer of bric-a-brac.

His explanation – he’s taken the wrong exit on the roundabout, and when he realised the DC was not they way to the car boot sale, turned round and came back. This was ok because there were no signs on the DC prohibiting U turns.

ninfan
    Free Member

Two favourites for me:

Similar to the Magpie one – working for the Forestry comm, many years ago we were hanging round the car park just making sure things ran smoothly, when we see a father pointing out a pheasant to his son, and saying ‘look at the peacock..’ – we really didn’t have the heart to correct him 🙂

Then working in research labs – there was a fruit room door round the back of the lab that some of the old hands used as a secret smoking/five minutes of daylight spot – dog on a string AR protesters had been exploring round the back fences, and three of them turn up on the other side of the fence, bloke and two girls about 30m away – bloke shouts ‘why don’t you get a proper job?’ and Tim (for that was his name) calmly responds ‘its half past ten on a **cking thursday morning, what the **ck do you do for a living?’ – hairy type just does a perfect goldfish impression for about six seconds, then he retorts ‘I’m an art student…’ at which point we all collapsed…

poah
    Free Member

as my wife constantly tells me, science isn’t a proper job 🙁

apparently all we do is sit in front of computers, drink tea and occasionally move tiny volumes of liquid from tube to tube

Northwind

ninfan – Member

then he retorts ‘I’m an art student…’

Well then, you know why he’s not got a proper job 😆

BigJohn

I saw a woman pick up her dog’s poo in a plastic bag, then very carefully tie it to a tree branch. She said, “It makes it easier for the rangers to collect”

Somebody confusing Power Rangers with Poo Arrangers.

brooess
    Free Member

My line manager struggling with the idea of free will:

“Why have we not kept hold of ‘xxxx’ (our apprentice)?”
    “Because when he was told the apprentice scheme was being discontinued and he didn’t like any of the other roles on offer, he found himself a job elsewhere and has resigned- much like all the other people who’ve left recently” (we’re going through a major restructure)
    “Oh” <confused silence>

Thing is, I know he had the same conversation with someone else this week so even though the idea of free will has been explained to him once, he’s still not got it 😯

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Lost for words moments. What's yours?’ is closed to new replies.