Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • lost dialled bike in bristol
  • flatfish
    Free Member

anybody lost a black dialled bike in bristol? couldn't see which model it was(it had, i think a pair of marzochhis on) but the 12ish year old scrote didn't look like he owned it.

can anybody guess where i seen it?? yes, southmead.

MrAgreeable

I've heard nothing, Google turns up nothing. 🙁

petefromearth

i swear if the police went undercover and waited outside Aldi for a day they'd spot most of the missing bikes in bristol

disguised as old ladies with walkie talkies, naturally…

over

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

OMG a young person on a nice bike…. must be a theif.

MrAgreeable

Problem is you can't really nick someone on spec. You have to have a decent idea that what they're riding round on is stolen. It's slightly more obvious on eBay, where you often get stolen bikes being listed with comedically inaccurate descriptions, but even then it's not a cert – there was one posted on here last week but it turned out that the owner wasn't a thief, just a bit thick…

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Spankmonkey – Member

OMG a young person on a nice bike…. must be a theif.

In Southmead, yes.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Sadly being thick is not a crime.. but I think far too many people see a kid on a bike and that's it.. theif, a lot of parents buy their kids nice bikes, after all Bristol has a LOT of places to ride (seen the latest dirt issue?) there are also a lot of jump spots around. I live in Patchway and have no doubt people think I stole my intense.. after all anyone in patchway is just a dole dosser right? I get a lot of stares, Assumption can be the mother of all ……….. ups

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

In Southmead, yes.

sad………….. yes there are some scrotes around Bristol on the whole they are fine if you treat them with respect, but labeling them all as theifs is rather sad.. god I used to be 13 with a nice cannondale and a muddy fox.. im glad people did not make an assumption

fozzybear
    Free Member

i think ianpinder had one stolen from bath way but that may have been purple..

KINGTUT
    Free Member

In Southmead, yes.

sad………….. yes there are some scrotes around Bristol on the whole they are fine if you treat them with respect, but labeling them all as theifs is rather sad.. god I used to be 13 with a nice cannondale and a muddy fox.. im glad people did not make an assumption

Maybe, but 41 years Bristol born and bred it's going to take a lot to persuade me otherwise.

On a similar note, Mr_A has any one lost a Lapierre HT recently?

MrAgreeable

Fozzybear, Ian's stolen hardtail was a green Charge I think… yep… unless he's lost another one.

Kingtut, stolen Zesty and assorted stolen Lapierres – think the Tecnic is an HT?

Spankmonkey, I don't think anyone is trying to make out that all kids with nice bikes are thieves, but if you see someone who is 12, riding round on a bike that's waaaay to big for them, from a company that sells relatively pricey frames with no "ready-built" option, it's a reasonable assumption that it is not theirs. There are lots of people getting away with theft because people who should know better look the other way.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

let me put it this way, If I see a kid who is 5ft on a 21" bling bike holding a can of white lightning… I will get very sus, that said I have met kids at Still woods on bikes too large for them, some of them buy whatever bargain they can find and dont care about the size.. it is normally the last thing on their mind when buying, they just want something to show off…. I do keep my eye out and have only seen 1 suspect bike, either a 223 or a 224 with boxxers ridden near rolls royce in Filton, some kid with no lid, could not ride it in a straight line and his mates had 20£ hack bikes.. he kept trying to pop a wheelie and managed 2cm…

MrAgreeable

some of them buy whatever bargain they can find

Which could mean something that's been nicked.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

true I just meant from the ones I have spoken to, a lot of them have brought the 1st cheap but nice bike they could afford off ebay regardless of sizing.. just the 1st nice thing their mates would like, I have had a couple happily say "yea it looked nice, but I will grow into it"

harrytoo
    Free Member

Spankmonkey, looks like you have spotted the legendary North Bristol fat Chav.

On his daily commute from Southmead to the tyre garage next to Rolls Royce I have seen him on anything from a top of the range 223 / 224 with Boxers to an immaculate Toad green Santa cruz Bullit (looked brand new). He has recently downgraded to something sprayed black.

You would have thought if he was getting through the stolen bikes then he might have made it a little less subtle than chuffing his way up the hill beside the A38 wallowing in 8 inches of excessive travel.

MrAgreeable

With odd exceptions (Harry Too's fat chav for example) people steal bikes to sell, not to ride. If people weren't buying them then hardly anyone would be stealing them.

flatfish
    Free Member

spankmonkey, are you saying that if you have a big bike and can only pop a 2cm wheelie you'd be a suspect bike theif????
    i never said that the dialled bike was stolen, i'd said it looked like it didn't belong to him(could be his mates).

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Kingtut, stolen Zesty and assorted stolen Lapierres – think the Tecnic is an HT?

There is a brand new one floating around the 'mouth' I'll get the model and contact the shop.

MrAgreeable

Not really related but I've just heard that the bloke who tried to sell my Dawes on eBay is being charged with handling stolen property. It's a bit early to call it a result, but it sounds like things are moving in the right direction.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Why didn't you stop and ask where he got it? Not as if you'll see him riding around on it again any time soon.

🙄

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Why didn't you stop and ask where he got it? Not as if you'll see him riding around on it again any time soon.

In Bristol you run the risk of getting stabbed for asking the time …

flatfish
    Free Member

because i was dashing inbetween jobs so didn't have time to stop and have a polite chat with the said young chap, who was maybe riding his mates bike. some of us have jobs to go to. anyway, i'm sure if plod got his arse down southmead they'd find a lot more than one bike thats been nicked.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

0091paddy – Member

That's very easy to say sat behind a keyboard, some of these kids are evil little **** and before you know it you car has been keyed, property vandalised etc.

0091paddy
    Free Member

To the 12 year old boy "nice bike mate, been thinking about getting one, where did you get yours from?" I'm sure that he wouldn't shank*/leng** you down for that..

* Slang for knife/blade/home made weapon
    ** Gun

MrAgreeable

0091paddy, I'd agree that just talking to the little guttersnipe would be unlikely to get you murked. However I doubt it would leave you any closer to reuniting the bike with its owner, unless you insisted on hooking him up to a lie detector and also had the police standing by to make an arrest. 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

To the 12 year old boy "nice bike mate, been thinking about getting one, where did you get yours from?

And the answer will be 'I got it for my Birthday'.

Now you can ask him when his birthday is, just to catch him out however you do stand the risk of being arrested for soliciting a minor.

😉

andy_hamgreen

well I know it won't go down well with those mealy mouthed pinko Grauniad reader types but I'd say call in those American Air reserve people to give Southmead a good 'seeing to' – you won't go far wrong there…..

CountZero

well I know it won't go down well with those mealy mouthed pinko Grauniad reader types but I'd say call in those American Air reserve people to give Southmead a good 'seeing to' – you won't go far wrong there…..

Ahh, that's the kind of urban renewal I approve of. I love the smell of napalm in the morning… 😈

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘lost dialled bike in bristol’ is closed to new replies.