Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Lost all my strength…help.
  • ton

back to doing proper offroad rides again, lakes, pennines and dales of late. managing 2/3 hour rides on the road.
    but, i have lost all my strength on the bike. i used to be able to stand up and power up short steep climbs and not feel too bad at the top.

i now seem to have lost all my power for such stuff. any idea’s?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Have you had your hair cut off?

duntstick
    Free Member

Er, dodgy knee?

I’d be thinking you are going at it a bit hard considering your still recent op.

ton

prior to hurting my knee. just noticed it more since back offroading.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

any idea’s?

At the risk of stating the obvious, you’ve had a couple of years out and not used those specific muscles in the way that you used to. You’re not starting from scratch but you’re still gonna have to rebuild the strength that you lost and that’s gonna take some time. You could just lower your expectations and carry on riding and you’ll be right eventually or if you’re feeling more impatient than maybe you’re gonna need to start proper programme of strengthening exercises.

boxelder

Youse bin missin yer spinach?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Mtbing is generally short bursts of power followed by recovery.Road riding is long periods of average power.
    I’m just naturally just better at the max/recovery/max thing.Which explains why I’m crap at TT’s!
    My ss riding always suffers if I’ve done a lot on the road.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

must be the weather , true story

ton

what kind of strengthening exercises?
    or is it a matter of keep plugging away a bit further/faster.

boxelder

Hill reps or intervals are easy to organise/set up and you should notice fairly rapid improvements. Not a great deal of fun though……..

hilldodger
    Free Member

Just compare yourself to your last ride, not your previous best 🙂

Trekster

Likewise, struggling when attempting hike’a bike rides nowadays. Been lazy the past few years and not done as many as I used to. Dodgy back & shoulder means I can’t carry the bike any more, shoulder also grumbles at pushing now!! Saturdays ride(hike)was a tough one, not helped much by the gusting winds 🙄 Once at the tops I’m generally OK , its only on the ups that I’m the slowest 😉
    Auld age doesn’t come along on its own 🙄

A few times recently I’ve questioned the wisdom of buying a new bike 😐

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ton, you & me are in the same boat mate. Wer’e not getting younger & after a lay off it takes longer to get your fitness back, never mind getting fitter than before.
    I for one will be pootling at the weekend.

seanthesheap
    Free Member

PLease see e-bike thread above. Tee Hee!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

PLease see e-bike thread above. Tee Hee!

Are you new here?

gatsby
    Free Member

You’ve not hit 40 or anything like that have you?

ton

a decade ago.

rodderz
    Free Member

ride your bike. weight training.

then only worry about going downhill.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Ditto Ton, turns out some of my medication was partial cause of feeling weak in major muscle groups. Have a check through your leaflets of what you are on just to see if there’s any with such a side effect (statins really did for me).
    Once my meds were altered I slowly improved again ride after ride……but also just recently had a slip back with some new meds but hey ho, not giving up, just listen to your body when it says, ‘ really no, I can’t do this’ which is normally the flashing lights, and nearly puking for me!

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

All I can say Ton is build it up slowly,when I’ve been off the bike through illness I make sure I go up a specific hill on my road route & try to keep the speed above a certain point,10 MPH,I keep doing it a few times a week for a few weeks & gradually find it easier,also being a local ride I can do it most days as it’s er local…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Lost all my strength…help.’ is closed to new replies.