Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lossless recording – Mac
  • slowjo
    Free Member

I keep reading on here about lossless recording. Can someone explain why it is better in words I'll understand and how do I achieve it on an iMac?

retro83
    Free Member

How do you mean recording? Ripping from cd or recording singing or something?

Lossless compression means just that, saving to something like flac or alac, where the output is identical to the input. As opposed to mp3 or aac where bits are removed.

slowjo
    Free Member

ripping CDs.

cynic-al
    Free Member

lossy compression – lots of data lost to maximise compression, so de-compressed file is an approximation to the original (like a jpeg file)

lossless compression – no data lost at all (like a zip file)

retro83
    Free Member

Ok that's easy then. Just use iTunes to rip your cds with the codec set to apple lossless in the preferences window.

slowjo
    Free Member

thanks 🙂

woody2000

Make sure you've got plenty of disk space, as there's a lot less reduction in file size with most lossless codecs – you'll still be looking at 350Mb per CD or thereabouts IIRC. Also worth noting that if you use ALAC then the files probably won't play on anything other than an iPod/iTunes.

retro83
    Free Member

Not true, vlc, mplayer, foobar etc will also play them

glenp
    Free Member

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Apple lossless is not truly lossless! iTunes does let you save the WAV though, which is what I have done in the past. As pointed out you need lots of HD space. The nicest MP3 is really pretty decent, lacking mainly a little bit of "fullness" – and about one tenth the size.

woody2000

retro – I did say "probably" 🙂

Still stuck with an iPod if you want them on the move though, right?

retro83
    Free Member

retro – I did say "probably"

Still stuck with an iPod if you want them on the move though, right?

wasn't having a pop at you, yep iPods/iPhones are the only portables I know of which play them.

edit: players compatible with "rockbox" firmware can also play them

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Apple lossless is not truly lossless! iTunes does let you save the WAV though, which is what I have done in the past. As pointed out you need lots of HD space. The nicest MP3 is really pretty decent, lacking mainly a little bit of "fullness" – and about one tenth the size.

see Duble0Syx's post here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t38817.html

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lossless recording – Mac’ is closed to new replies.