• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Loss of control of right arm & leg…
  • FuzzyWuzzy

Continuing the STW tradition of asking strangers for medical advice, any ideas on this one?

I woke up fine this morning, shaved etc. then in the shower my right arm started playing up (was trying to make a small movement but it resulted in a big movement) and my right leg started shortly after. It was quite amusing for about 30 seconds (like I was a puppet on a string) but then it crossed my mind I might be having a stroke or something :p After about half an hour it calmed down (although it's taken a couple of hours before it feels pretty much back to normal).

Google didn't shed any light on things and getting a doctor's appointment is PITA so I figured I'd leave it unless it happened again. The sensation is hard to describe, when bringing my arm towards me (I guess contracting the bicep) it was pretty normal but when moving my arm away it was like something was giving it an extra push so it moved away further and faster than my brain was telling it to, didn't actually feel like a muscle spasm though. No other symptoms either (no headache, no blurred vision, pupils evenly dilated, no rashes, face felt fine). Do I have hours to live?

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Im not a real doc and im sure its nothing to worry about but I would deffo call NHS direct or go to casualty statto if I were you

Good luck

al_f
    Free Member

The nervous system is probably one of those things you shouldn't mess with, a bit like plumbing and electric wiring. I'd go to the doc just to be on the safe side.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

One for your GP. I can think of nothing that would cause that

LHS
    Free Member

Now is the time to take up breakdancing!

coffeeking
    Free Member

The nervous system is probably one of those things you shouldn't mess with, a bit like plumbing and electric wiring. I'd go to the doc just to be on the safe side.

Everyoen messes with plumbing and wiring don't they?

LHS
    Free Member

Perhaps thats the reason?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Crystal meth last night?

Unusal symptoms these. Unstable on extending muscle is a strange one.

You could have slept awkwardly and impinged the nerves serving affected parts.

If anything close to this happens again then NHS walk in centre at least.

alpin
    Free Member

my nan had this. it's called Prada Willi Syndrome (spelling might be a bit out). she lost all movement/control down the right side of her body. it was funny for an hour or two,m but then she died.

she did die, but several years later due to a stroke. can't remember what triggered the Prada Willi thing. something that affected one side of the brain. but it was quite funny. the right side of her face was all droopy.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

alpin – Member
    my nan had this. it's called Prada Willi Syndrome (spelling might be a bit out). she lost all movement/control down the right side of her body. it was funny for an hour or two,m but then she died

Doubt it was Prada-Willi Syndrome. http://www.pwsausa.org/

To the OP, wait to see if problem happens again, then off to see GP. No harm in making GP appt now, if you feel perfect by time appt comes around, then you can always cancel.

Problem isolated to one side of the body could be something or nothing, I wouldn't advise leaving it completely unseen by a medical professional face to face.

alpin
    Free Member

ah… you're right.

balls pelsy (sp?) is the one i'm thinking of.

i was confused.

years ago we had a charity week at school and the chosen charity was Prada Willi Syndrome. no-one took it seriously due to the name and the fact the kid we were raising miney for would eat soap, sticks or anything else he could get his hands/teeth on.

meehaja
    Free Member

one for the GP there. NHS direct will just call you an ambulance as you are/were FAST postive, meaning ambulnce control will be told that you ARE having a stroke, crew will arrive within 8 mins, complete with response car, to find a healthy normal man!

could be a Bells palsy, could be some neurological issue, could be related to back problems (posture/ pulled muscle etc) could be a TIA (mini stroke). Well worth seeing GP asap, tell them its an emergency and is not appropriate for A&E if they try to fob you off. If the symptoms return get to A&E asap. don't just leave it though, this could be a warning for something (like a creaky bike, find the creak, don't just turn your ipod up!)

DrP

Bells palsy affects the face only.
    This sounds like a TIA, which would warrant further investigations.
    Go to your GP….

DrP

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Loss of control of right arm & leg…’ is closed to new replies.