Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Losing weight….I give up.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Been trying to drop some weight. so far I’ve got heavier, my guts still mahoosive yet my chest has dropped 4″down to 44″.
    I can’t eat any less as I’m hungry all the time
    I’ve dug out my turbos so I can train everyday, I won’t go to a gym though..no way.
    Totally fed up with having the piss tsken about my gut now. if I had money I might be tempted to seek surgery…I won’t, but that’s how I feel.

fatboyjon

Dieting is for girls. If you are a girl, loose more weight tubby.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Oldgit, that bad.

Have you had your thyroid checked? An inability to lose weight is a symptom of an underactive thyroid. The mrs has it and really struggles to lose weight. She can lose little bits but no amount of dieting or exercise helps. Might be worth a go if its making you miserable.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Shandy
    Free Member

I can’t understand how this scientific approach has failed you.

oldgit
    Free Member

Nah the rest of me is thin. You can see my ribs and veins on my upper arms and shins.

ton

oldgit, i have lost 3.5 stone to date.
    waist has gone down from 42” to 38”
    chest has gone from 54” to 50”
    but my belly looks big to me still.

but to be honest, i felt better when i was overweight.
    i feel like shyte……… 😐

BoardinBob

The bit round the middle is typically the last bit of flab you’ll lose

WackoAK
    Free Member

Have you tried running? When I started that my waist dropped down quite dramatically, according to the stats you burn up to 1000 calories for a 50min run.

tails
    Free Member

Have you tried putting on muscle, obviously it will mean your heavier. I know how you feel I lost 2 stone on the idave diet thing but have now plateaued for 3 months. No amount of exercise seems to work, I’m doing around 2.5 hours daily so upping to 3.5 would be pretty exhausting.

loddrik
    Free Member

Ive just started running. Much less time intensive for a decent amount of exercise and if done regularly will definitely help to slim down.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Visit me in India. You’ll lose plenty of weight in no time….

oldgit
    Free Member

running….yep this lump of lard came round the Snowdonia Mountain Marathon with me.

nickc

WackoAK your calorie burn is a bit high it’s more like 100Kcal a mile, so 50 mins for most folk is a 10k so more like 600Kcal.

Unless you’re running 10 miles in 50 minutes!

oldgit, men collect fat on their tummies, women on their hips, it’s the last place it’s going to come off from I’m afraid.

bakey

according to the stats you burn up to 1000 calories for a 50min run.

That sounds on the high side; more 500-700 p/h I would have thought. But running does work for me in keeping the weight off.

emma82
    Free Member

Oldgit do you drink? I only ask as my other half carries his weight around his gut and even though he is very fit and healthy it was only when he dropped the booze (primarily 6/7 pints Guiness on a Friday or saturday night and a couple of glasses of wine during the week) that his gut reduced and it’s virtually gone now, it was definatley the drink clinging onto him!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Go and see a dietician via your doctor. I have lost shedloads of weight and I feel great, mainly becuase I have made sure that what I do eat keeps my energy up and fat levels down. I could still lose a fair bit more off my stomach but it takes a long time to undo the bad work of years. You should be feeling a lot better if your diet is improving and your fitness is too, you’re prolly just eating the wrong stuff.

WackoAK
    Free Member

yes, got that wrong. I meant to say an hour at 5:00 minute km pace with my weight being 83kg

oldgit
    Free Member

Basically I think I’m too heavy to race. I’m about 2.5/3.5 stone heavier than my contemporaries.

oldgit
    Free Member

No I don’t drink, though I’m not tee total either. A unit once amonth max.

uplink
    Free Member

Same with me oldgit , it just never goes from the gut any more

At this time last year my arms were wasting away with my collar bones massively exposed but I still had a flabby belly
    I’ve just gave up trying to lose weight in the end & let it find it’s own level

finbar
    Free Member

How long have you put up with the hungry feeling for? I’ve found that the first day or two of calorie reduction = okay; then the next two weeks or so = absolute hell. After that though, you adjust to eating less and hunger isn’t such an issue any more.

Key for me is finding things to distract myself from being hungry in that couple of weeks.

nickname
    Free Member

How much do you train?

I’ve tried running in the past, maybe only 2 to 4 times a week for 30 mins. Did nothing for me. I only lasted about 3 or 4 months with it mind.

I used to go out on the mtb most weekends (not so much now), and again, little or no effect on weight.

I took up commuting to work by bike. Now this gets me on the bike 2hrs a day mon-fri, and voila, started to make some progress.

Because I don’t diet, or eat particularly healthy, I’m not loosing weight quickly, but certainly more so than my running or weekend jaunts on the bike ever did for me.

So for me it seems like I need to be active daily, which makes sense really as I spend most of my work time sat in an office, so I wouldn’t expect to loose weight by putting in only a few hours a week exercise.

TheGingerOne

I’d second going to India. I was there on business the week before last and reckon I lost almost half a stone in 2 days. I didn’t weigh much over 11 stone before I went out there either.

oldgit
    Free Member

nickname.
    Training, the core is Sunday which is either a cx race or a hardriders club run.
    Tuesday is off road with the fast group.
    Then I add Tuursday evening solo ride and a Saturday pre race road ride.
    Turbos in between.
    Summer I’ll sometimes race Crits Tuesday evenings.
    Can’t commute as I need my car, there are occasions when I can though.

Surfr
    Free Member

I think it’s just as has been mentioned above, the gut is the last bit to go and can seem as though it’s not budging even when the rest of you is getting thinner. I’m in the same boat having dropped from 15.4 stone to 11.12 which is where I am now. I feel like I’ve hit a plateau but I think it’s just perception. You ride and race plenty but it’s always worth mixing up your training to keep your body on it’s toes.

Do you eat a good breakfast? I’ve started forcing myself to have a bowl of porridge in the morning to wake up the metabolic system. This has resulted in me now feeling hungry at 10AM whereas before I could hapily fast until 12 without a problem, but I take this as my metabolic system is awake earlier and is converting that porridge energy along with converting fats when before my system was just asleep for the first half of the day. Could be worth kick starting yourself nice and early and ensure you don’t heat within the last 3 hours of the evening before bed when your system is shutting down again.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Lost 2 stone 5 years ago on WW. Lost 5 Kg since Feb by doing loads of biking – so the best way to loose weight is to not eat less but eat more healthily (less fat and carbs) and do more exercise!

Its power of the mind – when you get home don’t flake out – do some exercise before you eat dinner – have a high energy snack and do 1 hour on the turbo – exercise reduces my appetite post ride 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Usually eat a good breakfast, but I’ve cut that right back now. Small pack lunch then evening meal, by which time my stomach feels like it’s eating itself. 😥
    Had this for over twenty years, all the ‘when’s it due ‘ jokes wear thin after a while.
    Used to think it was due to a major opp I had on my stomach, had peritinitus? and had my stomach wound left open for a month, rather than stitched and drained. But it seems it’s plain old fat, and I can’t excuse it away.
    Foxyrider my turbos are permanently set up and used, indoors this week.
    Edit anyway I’m heavy, 13 stone at 5’8″. Guys I’m racing can be three stone less than that.

foxyrider
    Free Member

What do you eat for evening meal? – How much alcohol? (biggest calories are in cheese, crisps, fried food and bread). Alcohol contains huge amount of calories esp beer! When I get hungry late evening I often have a bowl of cereal i.e. muesli/Shred wheat – Some nutritionists suggest a high protein meal will suppress your appetite rather than high carbs! Carbs make you hungry sooner and are high in calories!

oldgit
    Free Member

Evening meals vary, I eat what the family eats. So that could be anything….we don’t do desserts.
    Drink, nearly none. Had a beer in the summer and one quite recently.
    Cheese has been dropped but I was eating a fair bit up to earlier this year.
    Bread I do like.
    When I get hungry I drink water and rest and read. And exercise actually suppresses my appetite for quite a while..

foxyrider
    Free Member

Bread = calories I am afraid – what you’d prob be best to do is write down what and how much you eat over a week – get a calorie counter book and roughly add up your calorific intake for that week – I bet you’d be surprised ! Then got from there ! Salad is free as are high protein foodstuffs etc. I used to do the Men’s Weight watchers CD WM5? I think and you can easily add up how many points you each / day and you get used to picking low calorie meals with a higher volume so you can eat more i.e more veggies etc 🙂 YOU HAVE TO BE DISCIPLINED IME! and you can add your exercise on so you can eat a few naughty things for free 🙂

they also do a WW iphone/blackberry/comp app now:

http://www.weightwatchers.com/templates/Marketing/Marketing_Utool_1col.aspx?pageid=1092821

keavo
    Free Member

like you, ive been cycling many years and never been light. currently my weight is under control at 12 stone (5’9&12). for me, exercise other than cycling seems to work better for losing weight. i think my body has just got used to 3/4 bike rides a week as the norm, but if i add in some swimming/running/weights i can lose weight. mostly i exercise for short periods, frequently (twice a day somtimes) at high effort for fitness/weight control. for pleasure i like to get out for 3 hours or so off road, but i don’t find that does much for losing weight, just gives me a huge appetite.

foxyrider
    Free Member

What goes in, goes on I am afraid – adding in swimming etc just adds more exercise and thus burns more calories – I think people underestimate how many calories are in alcohol (not wanting to label people here alcoholics 😉 ) and don’t count it in what they consume and are surprised they put on weight or don’t loose it! Boredom is a good way to put on weight and access to naughty food items 🙂

BTW fat burn is usually for long sustained periods at medium intensity – thus its best to do moderate exercise for long periods i.e. 4 hours road ride rather than 2 hours MTB all out 🙂

BTW my appetite is ravenous in the winter compared with the spring/summer – fact of life and melatonin levels 🙂

emma82
    Free Member

+1 foxyrider’s suggestion. I’ve calorie counted before when I wanted to lose weight and it was a massive eye opener, I was taking in about 800 extra than is recommended for a woman without even thinking about it. Split my diet right down and moderated it. I got to a point when on the days I wasn’t exercising that 900 calories was plenty then 1200 on days when I exercised seemed normal. Weight fell off in about 4 weeks.

Wozza
    Free Member

Mate what you need is a swiss ball. No matter how fit cardio wise I am the food baby is still there. But, if i give it some with sit ups, crunches and jack knives, it all gets better.

ourmaninthenorth

I’m with oldgit here – 5’7″ and 13st. In large part, I have the classic endomorph build: all squat, heavy muscles.

My gut is growing now, but that’s the best part of 12 months of comfort eating/pregnancy sympathy eating/newborn child tiredness eating. And a very sweet tooth.

If I was to work hard and shed some weight, I could get back to 12st. Any les than that would require living like a konk and not altogether functioning.

Oldgit – give up..!

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Wozza – Member
    Mate what you need is a swiss ball. No matter how fit cardio wise I am the food baby is still there. But, if i give it some with sit ups, crunches and jack knives, it all gets better.

You can’t target fat loss…sit-ups and crunches will not help you loose fat from your belly.

It’s pretty straightforward*; you need a deficit of 3500 calories to loose 1lb of fat. You can go into calorie deficit by exercise, diet, or ideally a combination of both. It sounds like you’ve doing a reasonable amount of exercise, so unless you have an underlying health issue (like the aforementioned thyroid) then you need to focus on your diet.

*the concept, execution is a little more tricky…you need the right mental mindset to see it through!

br
    Free Member

sorry mate, but its age…

I’m no better, just can’t shift the gut.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Training, the core is Sunday which is either a cx race or a hardriders club run.
    Tuesday is off road with the fast group.
    Then I add Tuursday evening solo ride and a Saturday pre race road ride.
    Turbos in between.
    Summer I’ll sometimes race Crits Tuesday evenings.
    Can’t commute as I need my car, there are occasions when I can though.

😯

mogrim

You can’t target fat loss…sit-ups and crunches will not help you loose fat from your belly.

No, but toning up the stomach muscles is unlikely to be a bad idea, and a tight stomach will be visually more attractive than a weak one, even if it does have a generous layer of fat over it.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I recommend a bit of running too – it’s a real fat blaster.

Some weights might help too – nothing too OTT but it’s a good way of toning up. Do some at home – get some 2nd hand weights and an exercise mat and do some basic stuff.

Targeting just your gut won’t do a lot but a strong stomach and core come in handy for pretty much every sport and activity.

Watch the diet but don’t obsess. When you exercise, really really push in. Get into enjoying “the burn” and don’t be satisfied if it doesn’t make you ache the next day. Aching muscles are muscles that repair “better” than non aching ones.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Losing weight….I give up.’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts