• This topic has 168 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by poah.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 169 total)
  • losing weight-does it make you ill?
  • Solo
    Free Member

is that code for sucumbing to temptation ?

?

I went out on Sunday morning to enact my hommage to the tour of flanders, by riding against the wind along wet, muddy back roads. But I’m an old get now and I suspect I’ve torn a muscle in my lower back.

But don’t worry, I used my ‘winter bike’, a 2013 cinelli experience fitted with my old mavic wheelset and a mixture of 105, ultegra 6800 and dura ace 9000.

trail_rat
    Free Member

naw your previous post.

Solo
    Free Member

naw your previous post

Oh, well its probably another thread along the lines of conspiracy theories, etc. But for dyed in the wool academics to make statements and give direction off the back of other people’s work, cos they’re too busy. Is risky stuff at best and down right misleading at worst and its also amazing to read that these people, who would have us think they’re really clever. Refuse to consider alternative hypotheses that do not conform to the paradigm that calories are all equal. Which has been proved not to be the case.

(was that better ?)

gonefishin
    Free Member

i fail to see the issue here …. so long as your net calorie intake is less than your outgoing then its grand.
    This has been proved not to be the case. The body’s endocrine system will adjust to try to compensate for cals lost. It will either try to regain cals via increased hunger or by feeling lethargic. The Endocrine system is a crafty old sod. Furthremore, upsetting it with lots of carbs will just send things in the wrong direction.

You know criticism like this always raises alarm bells in my head, mostly because it appear to contradict the laws of thermodynmaics. As crafy as the endocrine system might be (I have no idea as it is way outside my area of expertise) it can’t break the laws of thermodynamics.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Refuse to consider alternative hypotheses that do not conform to the paradigm that calories are all equal”

a bottle of coke is not worth a steak and some broccoli … thats stuff that my parents taught me when i was a kid.

probably my fault to assume that folks know the difference between clean calories and junk calories.

toys19
    Free Member

gonefishin, I understand what you mean but by your interpretation of the laws of thermodynamics a car should run on croissants. there is plenty of energy in a croissant, why is’nt this car moving?

There are plenty of caloris in croissants, but unfortunaly for the laws of thermodynmics the body does not always treat croissant calories as fuel. It can take peoples croissant calories and turn them into fat, (look up insulin resistance), and them make that fat very difficult to burn as fuel.

There are quite a lot of calories in diesel, if I drank that would it contribute to my calorie balance (by your interpretation of the laws of thermodynamics)

gonefishin
    Free Member

gonefishin, I understand what you mean but by your interpretation of the laws of thermodynamics a car should run on croissants. there is plenty of energy in a croissant, why is’nt this car moving?

Don’t be ridiculous I said no such thing and that’s little more than a straw man argument. Different engines use different types of fuel yes, they are still bound the laws of thermodynamics.

There are plenty of caloris in croissants, but unfortunaly for the laws of thermodynmics the body does not always treat croissant calories as fuel. It can take peoples croissant calories and turn them into fat, (look up insulin resistance), and them make that fat very difficult to burn as fuel.

That would be what is referred to as an “unsteady state energy balance” which is incidently the same situation that TR described only in reverse. It doesn’t matter whether or not someone is insulin resitant their body (or engine) is still subject to the laws of thermodynamics.

toys19
    Free Member

trail_rat if you ask me DD had it last week on the fattist thread when he asked which would make you fatter, 2000calories of cruciferous veg or 2000 calories of ice cream.

toys19
    Free Member

Different engines use different types of fuel yes, they are still bound the laws of thermodynamics.

It is not a straw man, my point is that the calories in food only count as fuel if the body recognises them as fuel.
    Insulin restance makes the body refuse to treat carbs as fuel. People eat them carbs, but the body does not turn them into glycogen, so it is not available for them to burn. Soon after eating carbs the body starts asking for more fuel, because the glycogen stores have not been replenished. It is similar to putting croissants in your fuel tank, whilst they do have a high calorific value, the car cannot recognise croissants as fuel so cannot use them.

Of course it subject to the laws of thermodynamics, but understanding what energy the body can burn or not will drive the thermodynamics. Simplistic statements such as calories in=calories out are frankly bollocks.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Insulin restance makes the body refuse to treat carbs as fuel. People eat them carbs, but the body does not turn them into glycogen, so it is not available for them to burn. Soon after eating carbs the body starts asking for more fuel, because the glycogen stores have not been replenished. It is similar to putting croissants in your fuel tank, whilst they do have a high calorific value, the car cannot recognise croissants as fuel so cannot use them.”

someone should tell team sky chef this.

Solo
    Free Member

You know criticism like this always raises alarm bells in my head, mostly because it appear to contradict the laws of thermodynmaics. As crafy as the endocrine system might be (I have no idea as it is way outside my area of expertise) it can’t break the laws of thermodynamics.
    I understand what you mean and it can bake your noodle. But there are a few observations in this field which are counter intuative and so take some concentrated reconsideration. Some folk are open minded enough to compare the results of calorie restricted diets against carbohydrate restricted diets.
    Others just cling to a flawed belief of a direct link between fat accumulation and exercise, etc, which does not explain how the body works.
    For example, it would seem obvious that excess weight is the result of a lack of exercise. But usually, people sit around on the sofa because their body is directing a disproportionately high percentage of the energy they consume, to fat storage and leaving very little energy for exercise. So they don’t feel like getting up and going running/cycling.
    People will be sedentary because they are growing sideways (energy is being diverted to storage). They are not growing sideways, becasue they are sedentary.
    As for thermodynamics. The body has choices with what to do with energy, subject to how the endocrine system operates and what you eat. While the model for the first law is isothermal.

So, where the FLoTD can only allow energy to be used or stored. This has nothing to do with obesity, which is the result of a disrruption of the fat accumulation processes of the body.

So, firstly, your body should stop you eating more than you need, when everything is working correctly and you have a good diet. But even if you went for it as perhaps you might on a special occassion, etc. Then if its a one off, slowly, over time, your body will deal with the caloric excess and you will return to your usual weight (hunger will be temporarily suppressed until leptin levels return to normal, for example). Alternatively, if you’ve eaten more than you need, then sometime afterwards, you may experience the need to get up and run about. So by just these two examples, you can see that the body has options as to what to do with amount of food you can consume and what you actually need.

The problems begin with the consumption of refined carbs. The endocrine system reacts poorly. Its just the way we work.

Solo
    Free Member

a bottle of coke is not worth a steak and some broccoli
    Thats a great way to explain it !

trail_rat if you ask me DD had it last week on the fattist thread
    Hes a clever lad, I liked his eat better, move about a bit quote.

revs1972
    Free Member

Try Berocca mate,
    It’s you, but on a good day.
    Have you had an MOT at the quacks to highlight any issues?
    Fair play to you though, I really got to start the weightloss regime myself !

br
    Free Member

I reckon it’s far simpler than think.

If you are 4-5 stone overweight then you are going to feel crap after exercise, the same way I’d feel crap(er) if I was having to cart around an extra 4-5 stone while doing the same exercise.

Just make sure you exercise constantly, ie climb stairs, don’t use lifts – park at the far end of the car park, get the coffee’s in at work. Go for a 15 minute walk, rather than drive 5 minutes.

Oh, and stop Goggle-ing.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why? Do the Sky cyclists suffer from insulin resistance? I don’t think so.

As I said – diet has to match exercise to get the result you want.

probably my fault to assume that folks know the difference between clean calories and junk calories.

Do you?

gonefishin – don’t keep going on about thermodynamics. People are not simple heat engines, so that doesn’t really apply to us. There are so many exceptions to this that it’s obviously rubbish. There are lots of people who eat loads, don’t exercise, and don’t get fat.

Edukator
    Free Member

There are lots of people who eat loads, don’t exercise, and don’t get fat.

In over half a century on this planet I’ve yet to meet one. Every person I’ve lived close enough to to judge fits the simple model “you are what you eat”.

molgrips
    Free Member

In over half a century on this planet I’ve yet to meet one.

I know loads. Half my family is like this. Including my Dad. He never ate much sugary stuff though, to be fair, but plenty of starch.

Then there’s my colleague who plays football once a week, and is more or less constantly eating at work – he brings a packed lunch (that includes cakes), eats it before lunchtime and then goes out and buys food. Also cakes mid morning. He is 1″ taller than me, similar build, and 4kg lighter.

Then there’s my other colleague who cycles a similar amount to me, eats a moderate amount of cakes and so on and has about 6% bodyfat.

Edukator
    Free Member

What job did he do? I doubt he was sat in front of a computer, before and after sitting in a car before watching TV.

molgrips
    Free Member

What, my Dad? He used to sit in front of a class mostly, and sometimes stand. And then sit in a car and infront of a TV.

nickc

People are not simple heat engines,

this is true

so that doesn’t really apply to us.

This is not true.

Edukator
    Free Member

Teachers spend most of the day on their feet IME.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sigh.

The thing that pisses me off about you, Edukator, is that you’re always absolutley totally convinced that you know everything and that you’re always right. You NEVER say anything like ‘oh, that’s interesting, perhaps I’ll look into it’. No – you know everything, you don’t need to do any more reading ever.

The scientific community is constantly learning new things and discovering more about how our bodies work. You should probably try the same thing.

I just did a quick google about why some people never get fat. It produced tons of stories and articles about it from all sorts of sources. I expect you’re going to tell me that every one of them is wrong, and you know best – go on, I dare you.

Edukator
    Free Member

You’re forgetting that I’ve been a part of that peer-reviewed scientific community and have yet to see anything better than “eating more than you need makes you fat”. Some people need to eat more than others but if nobody ate more than they need to maintain a healthy weight then nobody would be fat. Weight Watchers strategy works, try it.

toys19
    Free Member

Trai_ rat, molgrips said it, but I wanted to reiterate, I expect none of team sky have insulin resistance issues, therefore no issue, but obese people tend to have it.

There is only one way to break insulin resistance, **** hard intense exercise.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Id hope so given my whole philosophy when i was racing revolved around fueling the engine right , everything has its place in your diet but at different points and in different amounts.

Protein from white meat and fish was my staple bulked out with lots of green veg.

Coke was my ultra last ditch need a boost , im dying here effort

Id say both worked.

Edukator
    Free Member

Obviously I’m not accusing Team Sky in specific of anything but there is still no validated test for insulin which is widely used by both power and endurance athletes in their doping protocols. Treat anything related to professional cycling with extreme caution as history tells us their weird and wonderful eating regimes are either necessary to complement the doping or simply part of the smoke screen.

CaptJon
    Free Member

re laws of thermodynamics, i saw a piece recently that suggested that calories in vs calories out theory doesn’t apply to people because we aren’t closed systems. They also pointed out that the body is more efficient at turning calories from carbohydrates into glycogen than turning fats and proteins into glycogen – therefore the form of your calories is very important to consider.

I’ll try and find the source.

edit: here it is:

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/energy-in-does-not-equal-energy-out/

Eating less will not make us weigh less

Edukator
    Free Member

What you’re saying is that we don’t digest everything in our food, some digest better than others and that some foods are easier to digest than others. So if you chew well and eat easily digested foods, have an efficient digestive system and slow metabolism you don’t need to eat as much – so don’t eat as much. Eat according to what you need based on all your personal factors but stick to eating no more than you need to maintain you weight. If you wish to lose weight then eat a little less than that.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Edukator – Troll
    What you’re saying is that we don’t digest everything in our food, some digest better than others and that some foods are easier to digest than others. So if you chew well and eat easily digested foods, have an efficient digestive system and slow metabolism you don’t need to eat as much – so don’t eat as much. Eat according to what you need based on all your personal factors but stick to eating no more than you need to maintain you weight. If you wish to lose weight then eat a little less than that.

I’m not saying anything, just pointing out something i read. Read the links and it explains it far better than i can. I think the point is tt isn’t about digestion, but the energy required to turn energy in food into energy available for the body to use.

The energy used up in making carbohydrate, for example, available to the body as energy vs. the energy used up converting protein to usable energy is substantially different. 100 calories of carbohydrate eaten may make 93 available to the body; 100 calories of protein eaten may make only 70 available (Ref 1). That’s a significant advantage for dieters and helps to explain the effectiveness of low carbohydrate diets.

Edukator
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter how many calories are are in your food, in each food type and how many you digest from each type of food so long as the total that end up in your body meet your needs and no more.

molgrips
    Free Member

You’re forgetting that I’ve been a part of that peer-reviewed scientific community and have yet to see anything better than “eating more than you need makes you fat”.

How hard did you look? Weren’t you a geologist?

It doesn’t matter how many calories are are in your food, in each food type and how many you digest from each type of food so long as the total that end up in your body meet your needs and no more.

Why?

The stuff under your skin clearly isn’t chewed up cakes and sweets, so it is being processed somehow. What makes you think this process is equally efficient in all situations?

Edukator
    Free Member

It doesn’t matter what the process is or how efficient is so long as you don’t put more fuel in than you need.

The stuff under my skin isn’t cakes or sweets because I rarely eat the former and never the latter.

Breakfast: müesli (no milk) and fruit.
    Lunch: ham sandwich and fruit.
    After walk snack: dark chocolate in bread and orange juice.
    Evening: chicken livers and potatoes.

Now you, Molgrips.

CaptJon
    Free Member

So you’re saying energy into your body, not energy into your mouth?

Edukator
    Free Member

Food gets into your body through your mouth, some of it gets converted into energy, don’t consume more than you need.

If you just eat sugar and drink glucose-fructose sodas then you won’t need to consume much and will probably feel hungry all the time. If you only eat celery then you will find it impossible to eat enough to stay alive. There is middle ground. Find foodstuffs that you enjoy eating, provide you with all the protein, carbs, fat, vitamins, minerals and fibre you need, and enough energy but no more than enough.

molgrips
    Free Member

The stuff under my skin isn’t cakes or sweets because I rarely eat the former and never the latter

I eat cakes and sweets. The stuff under my skin is still not cake or sweets. Massive point missing.

Edukator
    Free Member

I eat cakes and sweets.

So you eat “empty” calories that leave you feeling hungry and have trouble controlling your weight.

I eat what is loosely a Mediterranean diet and can gain or lose weight at will by varying quantity and composition. Coming back to the original topic I don’t find losing weight makes me ill, but if I maintain my Summer weight through the Winter I’m more likely to feel cold and catch colds.

Solo
    Free Member

Sigh.
    The thing that pisses me off about you, Edukator, is that you’re always absolutley totally convinced that you know everything and that you’re always right. You NEVER say anything like ‘oh, that’s interesting, perhaps I’ll look into it’. No – you know everything, you don’t need to do any more reading ever.Damn right !
    The scientific community is constantly learning new things and discovering more about how our bodies work. You should probably try the same thing.
    I just did a quick google about why some people never get fat. It produced tons of stories and articles about it from all sorts of sources. I expect you’re going to tell me that every one of them is wrong, and you know best – go on, I dare you.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you Gotta luv, Grips.
    🙂

You’re forgetting that I’ve been a part of that peer-reviewed scientific community
    Nope, we all recall that you have claimed to have worked for Lindt
    #conflictofinterest

re laws of thermodynamics, i saw a piece recently that suggested that calories in vs calories out theory doesn’t apply to people because we aren’t closed systems. They also pointed out that the body is more efficient at turning calories from carbohydrates into glycogen than turning fats and proteins into glycogen – therefore the form of your calories is very important to consider.
    Good to know that others are doing their own research, an example to those who assume that they might Edukate us, whilst refusing to update their own reading and knowledge, in order to be “up to date” in 2014……

Complete rubbish ! really, you are trying to tell us that a calorie of carbs is processed in an identical way to a calorie of fat.
    You may think so, but your body, its enzymes and all its hormones, do not agree.
    Goodness you really are out of date.

So much so, that it’s difficult to wonder why you persist in demonstrating to the rest of us, just how obtuse you are. Ironic then that you call yourself “Edukator

Edukator – Troll
    Oh yeah !

So, what does history tell us ?, it tells us that calorie restricted diets fail, long term. Calorie restriction is semi starvation and humans do not voluntarily live their entire lives in semi starvation in order to remain lean. Also, 150 years, plus, of carbohydrate restricted diets have been proved to be effective.

So, Those who think no further than the theory that a calorie is a calorie, is a calorie. Are out of date, as Grips says, science has moved on. So should we.

Edukator
    Free Member

I think eating healthily to meet your needs is about as up to date as you’ll get, Solo. Almost all of the things you claim I have said apart from the direct quotes I have not, and the thermodynamics quote isn’t from me.

What did you eat yesterday? Can you fault what I ate? Do you disagree with the Etude de Lyon Mediterranean diet as a starting point for healthy eating?

twonks

Jeez, where has the original question gone.

I too am around 4 stone overweight and although I sometimes feel a bit ropey for a few hours after a ride, the next day is generally ok.

The OP seems to know a fair bit about the human body and food / exercise, so if his problem can’t be rationalised then maybe it is time for the docs not a forum of bike nuts !

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Jeez talk about go off subject.
    Fat holds hormones mainly estrogen, when you loose weight you loose fat and have hormonal changes combine that with the stress on your body that it thinks it’s starving and the sudden rise in testosterone levels and you get ill. If you inject testosterone, the first few injections will give you what’s called test flu because of this.
    A colorie is a calorie but the end composition of you body will be different depending on what you eat. If you eat high carbs and low fat or low carbs and high fat you get different results. That’s why boy builders eat low carbs but high fats so they can hold onto lots of.muscle while the fat I’d lost. Athletes will do the opposite as they need the glycogen stores, the high carbs will trigger an insulin response and store all fats consumed so they must remain low.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘losing weight-does it make you ill?’ is closed to new replies.