• This topic has 168 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by poah.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 169 total)
  • losing weight-does it make you ill?
  • toys19
    Free Member

I’m about 4/5 stone overweight.
    Every time I do some exercise, it makes me ill the next day, not too bad, but fluish aches and pains and cold like sneezing/runny nose.

I have heard that your fat contains loads of toxins, and that when you lose weight your body processes those toxins and that makes you feel crap.

Is there any truth in this?

avdave2

Why would your body store toxins? – Detox has no real evidence to support it. 4/5 stone is a lot to lose, I’d be looking for professional advice regarding how you are feeling now.

toys19
    Free Member

Yeah I don’t believe in “detox” but there is a phenomena known as Bioaccumulation, and I have read that eating processed food can increase the toxins found in body fat.

This article is interesting.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Mantastic
    Free Member

Man up, you will get over it

Drac

Being overweight will make you ill. Losing weight in a sensible way to a sensible level won’t.

teef
    Free Member

losing weight-does it make you ill?

Don’t you mean:

Exercise-does it make you ill?

toys19
    Free Member

well yeah, I am making the assumption that my last bit of exercise made me ill and I lost a bit of weight, both could be wrong…
    But – Every time I have a good workout I feel pain the next day, I do not mean DOMS. I used to be a bit of a gym bunny and have been very fit in the distant past so i kind of know my way round DOMS and post exercise feelings, bu this is different. I am trying to get fit/lose weight now and I keep failing because of this wierd effect of feeling rotten the next day.
    Last night I did 10k off road, (slowly) when we finished I could have done another 10k but it was getting dark. So I don’t think it was excessive.

I accept the eponymous mantastics advice, and I have been manning up – 6 rides and 4 gym session in the last 3 weeks despite feeling bad.
    This week its going to be at least 3 rides maybe 4.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I get the sniffles a lot after a cold – takes a while to clear completely.

Sounds like it’s an issue specific to you or overweight folk.

HughStew

Your body is getting stressed by exercise, more so because you’re overweight. This not necessarily a bad thing as you should recover stronger, if it’s really bad, wind back the level of exercise a bit. Sneezing/ runny nose – I have no idea, maybe take some anti-histamines, as being outside will expose you to more pollen / pollution.

It’s staggering how few calories exercise burns, when I was fat it was the change in diet that really helped me drop it. Good luck.

The use of the word “toxins” in this sort of context is something of a red flag for me. It generally has the same level of scientific backup as talking about chakras, or Mercury rising in your adjacent house affecting your love life.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I was in your position; I’ve lost about 4 stone with another stone to go, to get down to ‘racing weight’. No problems with feeling ill through exercise, or diet change. Taken me years rather than months, mind.

seosamh77
    Free Member

nope, i’m about the same, 4 stone overweight(I was 5).

exercising makes me feel brilliant the next day. (well unless you get muscle aches, but they go away after a week or 2, you are just using muscles you haven’t used in a long while, so they will ache.)

Make sure you are eating and hydrating enough, that’d be my instinct. Leaving your dieting days for when you aren’t exercising. (and make sure you eat after exercising.)

toys19
    Free Member

The use of the word “toxins” in this sort of context is something of a red flag for me. It generally has the same level of scientific backup as talking about chakras, or Mercury rising in your adjacent house affecting your love life.

Yes indeed, I think one has to be cautious, the detox industry is bunk. But there is significant medical evicence that toxins are stored in adipose tissue, its just a case of do they really come out during exercise/weight loss and if they do, would I notice it/is that whats making me feel shit..

weeksy

Yes indeed, I think one has to be cautious, the detox industry is bunk. But there is significant medical evicence that toxins are stored in adipose tissue, its just a case of do they really come out during exercise/weight loss and if they do, would I notice it/is that whats making me feel shit..

Why would you be so far in the minority ?

soobalias
    Free Member

I am trying to get fit/lose weight now

one thing at a time. maintain fitness and lose weight (diet), or increase fitness and disregard weight (no harm in keeping an eye on what you eat, but dont consciously cut calories, certainly not below a reasonable maintenance level)

nedrapier

The metabolic process produces free radicals at many different stages, and the body needs antioxidants, differnent ones for different free radicals, to neutralise them and avoid destructive effects on cells and tissue.

If you’re missing the right antioxidants from your diet to deal with certain free radicals, the body and get them out of circulation by stuffing them away in calcium deposits in joints and adhesions in connective tissues (and possibly, don’t actually know about this one, in fats too.)

Do some reading then! Biochemistry (that’s a type of science) awaits!

Edit: I agree in part though. “Detoxing” – just drinking lemon juice for 4 days is not going to do very much to help you along. Eating plenty of fresh fruit and veg, avoiding processed food, fags, booze and chemicals, and getting out of the city for a while, will.

toys19
    Free Member

Why would you be so far in the minority ?

QUE?

one thing at a time. maintain fitness and lose weight (diet), or increase fitness and disregard weight (no harm in keeping an eye on what you eat, but dont consciously cut calories, certainly not below a reasonable maintenance level)

I am exercising and cutting down on carbs, but not calorie counting/restricting my diet in terms of going hungry..

weeksy

Well, if so many people exercise and don’t have these issues, why are you ?

toys19
    Free Member

Because I am a bad person? I dunno WTF are you driving at?

seosamh77
    Free Member

toys19 – Member

MTFU? 😆

weeksy

toys19 – Member

I can’t make it any clearer fella. There’s millions upon millions of people in the same situation, however, unless we’ve all missed something, none are experiencing the same issues as you.

So, maybe it’s something else ?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

You should go and see the Doctor.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cutting down on carbs whilst exercising hard CAN be very difficult for people who are used to living and exercising off carb stores. I suspect that this includes those people with a higher proportion of type II muscle tissue.

However, it’s unclear to me if we are better off putting up with the crap feeling and reduced performance to try and learn to deal with it; or to introduce more (good) carbs to the diet so we can work harder and lose more weight that way.

Clover

I always seem to get a cold if I lose weight. It really annoys me!

I am 6kg off my racing weight and is really hard to shift without getting ill, even though I eat loads of vegetables and not much processed food. Everyone is different, you need to find what works – fluids would be a start.

Also, as those are the kind of reaction you get from immune system dealing with something, check what you eat and drink in and around exercising, if it’s something different from every day you just might be be intolerant of it. Different washing powder for sports kit??

pondo

I’ve experienced something similar to that – I think it’s just more of a stress on the body thing than any gubbins about toxins. After a big break towards the end of last year, this year I’ve made a point of starting off at a much more gentle pace and I’ve not had an issue – having said that, got a cold off the missis last week, had a big ride at the weekend (long planned) and man did I ever feel rough after. I still sound like Barry White but I don’t feel too bad now. Just go steady, eat healthy and crack on. 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

“this year I’ve made a point of starting off at a much more gentle pace and I’ve not had an issue”

im almost positive if you follow this advice you will not get ill the next day.

trying to go out from nothing to a 4 hour mtb ride in the hills will almost certainly make your body go – woah **** this and wave the white flag to any little illness thats been attacking your body.

zilog6128

However, it’s unclear to me if we are better off putting up with the crap feeling and reduced performance to try and learn to deal with it; or to introduce more (good) carbs to the diet so we can work harder and lose more weight that way.

IMO the link between exercise and weight loss is massively overestimated for most people.

Diet to change weight, exercise to change fitness. Actually I would say diet is important for fitness also as you will have more energy and feel like being more active with a more healthy diet.

IMO/IME endurance exercise is a poor method for losing body fat simply because the more you exercise the more you need to eat if you are going to sustain the exercise day after day, week after week. If you feel crap and are performing crap (assuming you are not ill) then to me that is a pretty clear signal from your body that you are not eating properly!

For exercise resulting in fat loss I would say weight training would be far more successful (but still with diet being the more important factor).

toys19
    Free Member

trail rat I agree, hence my comment that last night was a reasonably gentle pootle, I worked on the climbs but had plenty in the tank at the end and could have done more (I can’t see m doing 4 hrs any time soon).
    Yes perhaps there is something else wrong..

trail_rat
    Free Member

“endurance exercise is a poor method for losing body fat simply because the more you exercise the more you need to eat if you are going to sustain the exercise day after day, week after week”

i fail to see the issue here …. so long as your net calorie intake is less than your outgoing then its grand.

weight lifting is good for weight loss due to the fact it exercises large groups of muscles all at once increasing your bodys requirements for energy just to sit at the desk and feed the muscle + recovery.

how ever if you have a sustained deficit for either of much more than 500 cals you will likely get ill.

Weight lost quickly is weight gained quickly. there is no way to lose weight “quickly”

toys19
    Free Member

just be clear, I am not doing anything quickly.. Just trying to make a lifestyle change.

zilog6128

i fail to see the issue here …. so long as your net calorie intake is less than your outgoing then its grand.

Yes… I meant endurance exercise on it’s own purely to try to lose weight (without correct diet). Obviously it is possible to have a calorie deficit in that scenario but I don’t think it’s very likely.

molgrips
    Free Member

Diet to change weight, exercise to change fitness

Hmm, maybe, but I think the two things need to work in tandem. Diet to match the exercise you do.

We’ve done this before – some of the calories you put in your mouth end up maintaining your fat stores, but how much fat is the result of a complex set of systems and is only loosely related to how much exercise you do.

To the OP – is there any common factor in the exercise you are doing? Do you choose say woodland routes for your biking and running? Could be something like tree pollen maybe.. that kind of thing.

HughStew

Do some reading then! Biochemistry (that’s a type of science) awaits!
    [/quote]
    Read carefully then. Of course there is plenty of proper science in this area, but the word “toxins” is frequently thrown about in a pseudo-scientific Gillian McKeith style. BTW I have a higher degree in biochemistry – patronising twuntery backatcha.

Edit to add a 😉

toys19
    Free Member

To the OP – is there any common factor in the exercise you are doing? Do you choose say woodland routes for your biking and running? Could be something like tree pollen maybe.. that kind of thing.

Yeah maybe, TBh I only noticed it after cycling in Aberdeen, kirkhill and countesswells. hmmm Might take a piriton and see what happens.

nedrapier

patronising twuntery backatcha.

😀

brassneck

Read carefully then. Of course there is plenty of proper science in this area, but the word “toxins” is frequently thrown about in a pseudo-scientific Gillian McKeith style. BTW I have a higher degree in biochemistry – patronising twuntery backatcha.
    Edit to add a

I thought the ‘antioxidant’ thing had been discredited as a marketing term more than anything too. But I know f*** all about bio chemistry 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Afaik we do need antioxidants, but it’s unclear if eating loads of them actually makes any difference to the availability of these things in our blood. So yes, unfounded pseudoscientific supposition based on real science, like many things.

Likewise toxins – again afaik the body can deposit actual toxins like metals etc in fatty tissue (like fish do, which is why eating lots of oily fish can be bad) – I did read somewhere that crash yoyo dieters were at risk because they went through their fat stores quickly so had high levels of these toxins to dispose of – then build them back up again and repeat regularly.

Solo
    Free Member

I’m about 4/5 stone overweight.
    I’d suggest losing most of that via a change in your diet/lifestyle (restrict carb intake) and while doing so exercise at a moderate intensity, if you feel the need to move about a bit.

IIRC, Ton lost over 5 stone mostly via diet, but is now slowly ramping up his exercise. Last time I saw, I think he was aiming for 500 miles a month 😯

Change of Diet to change reduce your weight, exercise to change maintain or increase your fitness
    Definately.

This has been proved not to be the case. The body’s endocrine system will adjust to try to compensate for cals lost. It will either try to regain cals via increased hunger or by feeling lethargic. The Endocrine system is a crafty old sod. Furthremore, upsetting it with lots of carbs will just send things in the wrong direction.

I’m coming to the end of ‘The Diet Delusion’. Its been a very enlightening read. Its staggering to see how obtuse some members of the medical community have been in the past and in more recent times.

Del

come out with us of a wednesday night, drink 3 pints of Sports Beer (TM) after, and have a reason to feel vaguely crappy the following day. sorted.
    next!
    😉

Solo
    Free Member

come out with us of a wednesday night, drink 3 pints of Sports Beer

Thanks, but I’ve injured my back and so I’m off the bike for a few days.

trail_rat
    Free Member

is that code for sucumbing to temptation ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘losing weight-does it make you ill?’ is closed to new replies.