• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Yak.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Losing my grip – possible lycra shorts resurrection?
  • adjustablewench
    Free Member

Right I’m packing for the Tuscany trail – I’m taking 2 pairs of shorts. My back up pair need some attention.

I had looked at replacing these but didn’t find anything suitable – they aren’t old but the only problem with them is the silicon grip.

Either I have thighs like Greipel (or a hippo) or the shorts weren’t designed very well but as the fabric around the legs has stretched to fit around my legs the flimsy silicon stuff has peeled off.

Other than that the shorts are fine – so is there any advisable method of putting some kind of grip back in – or shall I get creative with some silicon sealant!?

I am a little concerned what solvents I may end up exposing my skin to

LadyGresley
    Free Member

You can buy gripper elastic – although I’m not sure where from. That would also involve sewing it on with a machine that does a stretch stitch.
    Edit: a quick google throws up lots of suppliers.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I wanted to avoid sewing through as the edge material is quite light and doubled over to form a cuff. Stitching though it will probably pucker it up a lot as the material is very stretchy. . . If that makes sense. If it were just a single thickness cuff that would be ideal

nickc

blu-tack? 😆

beinbhan

Silicon sealant in small blobs ?

midlifecrashes

Can you put some holes around the hem and tie you leg hairs on?

lapierrelady

Use them for the second half, by which time your thighs will be hench and you won’t need gripper? Awesome looking event btw, good luck and I hope the weather gods are with you.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I will be aiming for the hench Wench look by the end . . . But failing that I think the blobs of sealant would work . . .I just didn’t know if it had any nasties in it that I should avoid

duffle
    Free Member

Could be completely off track but doesn’t it liberated an acid as it cures?
    Speed dry and rinse if that’s the case!!

martinhutch

Just tattoo some fake shorts on.

Yak

I think the chances of this bodge going wrong and making some of your ride less than comfy aren’t worth taking. I’d be shopping for new pair. (dull sensible answer… 🙂 )

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Losing my grip – possible lycra shorts resurrection?’ is closed to new replies.