Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Losing love for the bike?
  • takisawa2

I always ride less in Summer. Just seems to be tons (no pun), of other stuff to do. Not one for riding in hot weather anyway. Love dry trails etc, but hand on heart, give me a mid-week evening Winter ss blast anyday. A nice cross country bridleway forage is really my perfect ride. Trail centres ok for a few hours to get some mates together a few times a year. I’m happy to go a month without a proper off-road ride these days.

Cant help but feel for you OP. Over the years I’ve seen/read your posting on here, your love for bikes comes across in bounds, so to have it so curtailed must be bloody tough on you. Nowt to say really other than hope you get through it. 😉

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Its easy to put allot of pressure on yourself, “I’ve spent allot of time/money/effort into this bike thing, so I should damn well be enjoying it.” When I riding starts to feel like a chore I tend to step off the gas a bit + concentrate on something else, (surfing usually, which is way more fickle, so inevitably drift back to riding more). Making an effort to ride with friends somewhere different or setting yourself some fun goals has helped me in the past. Think the social side of riding is really important. Set up a daft biking WE with mates.

KevinPP
    Free Member

I ‘burnt out’ about 6 years ago. Found I was riding for the sake of riding. To keep fit, get faster. Never stopped to take in the scenery. Completely stopped riding for over 3 years. Couldn’t even look at a bike. Got back in to it a couple of years ago. Now ride when I want to, probably only twice, sometimes only once a week (but my job knackers me out physically during the week). I actually get excited now and can’t wait to get out there. And I stop to look at the scenery now.

If it’s in your blood it will come back.

RustySpanner

I always find the walk from bed to the bike the hardest part.

Try and get out three or four times a week and can only remember about half a dozen rides in the past few years I’ve not enjoyed it.

I don’t train, race (apart from Hit the North) or take it very seriously though, so never really feel any pressure to go faster or further.

I just like the act of cycling, travelling under my own steam.
    When I feel like stopping, I stop. If I want to carry on a bit further, that’s fine too.
    Lots of wonderful places I’ve not seen yet, loads of decent people I’ve not met.

I do get pretty down sometimes, the weather this year hasn’t helped, but as long as I’ve got the cash for increasingly ridiculously priced spares I’ll keep turning the pedals. Very slowly.

MrOvershoot

I still love bikes,
    only with my wife being very ill I can’t get the time & probably if I’m honest the enjoyment to get out and enjoy myself on the bike knowing she’s trapped in a body that won’t work 🙁

The stupid thing is when I’m on a bike my mind is totally clear with only what’s in front of my wheels being important, then I get home from work exhausted and find she’s had another fall or in tears because she’s not managed something we take for granted in everyday life & any thought of a ride evaporates.

spacemonkey

It’s not an issue if you fall out of love with something. Even if you didn’t see it coming. But that may depend on how you deal with it.

Me? I’d find something else to throw myself into. I can’t handle not ‘doing stuff’ and am grateful that I have the energy and enthusiasm to get interested and passionate about things.

Did a helluva lot of road biking in my teens but then dropped it as soon as I hit Uni. Spent years off the bike and didn’t give it a second thought. But I did other stuff; namely football, tennis and running. Got into MTBing nearly 10 years ago and have stayed in that groove ever since. It’s one of the few things that gives me escapism on all levels. Have done a fair amount of riding this year – have certainly chalked off most of the rides/routes that I wanted to do – and wish I could do more. But I can’t – young family et al.

Sure, people see this type of thing differently. IME I love being into stuff that I love being into. If I fall out with it then I find something else. Simples.

samuri
    Free Member

Sometimes. I just do different kinds of bikes. STuff road for a bit, ride a mountain bike. Or vica versa. Change routes. Go to a BMX track. Just go out for a ride to a pub and neck a couple, that sort of thing. Ride to the city to take pictures or look at girls.

Life is great with bikes in it, just keep it varied.

HansRey

been abroad for 2months now. When my bike is fixed I’ll have no excuse to go out regularly again… saying that, I’m not too motivated either.

I miss the ‘long’ descents and ‘lungbusting’ climbs of the Peak district.

_tom_
    Free Member

I go through phases. I think it has something to do with having no decent local trails back home, living in the East Midlands. Currently I can’t get enough of it though and I’m only being held back by my increasingly sore hands and wrists from the sheer amount of braking bumps on the trails. When I get home I’m gonna have to get a bmx to stop me getting out of touch with jumping.

scottalej
    Free Member

I sometimes don’t feel like riding but usually force myself to go out anyway. 9 times out of 10 I feel much better for it and look forward to the next ride. Having a bike you really enjoy riding helps a lot as well. I had a 2005 Marin Mount Vision for a while and I just didn’t get on with it so rode less as I didn’t enjoy it. Now I’m lucky enough to have a selection of bikes I love to ride so I’m out for 2-3 hours 3 times a week.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Losing love for the bike?’ is closed to new replies.