Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Losing en-suite for bigger bathroom question
  • My bathroom suite is ready for replacement due to a smashed sink and cracked cistern.

It occured to me that by removing a stud wall I could lose my tiny en-suite (shower cubicle, toilet, basin) and enlarge my small bathroom (just big enough for bath, toilet & basin).

This would mean having a decent space for the bath, separating the toilet and basin space wise and having a nice big walk-in shower cubicle.

Work would cost a couple of grand at least, but give us a really nice bathroom, but would the value of the house suffer by losing the en-suite?

turin
    Free Member

How many bedrooms do you have?

3 bed turin – reasonable master bedroom and two small rooms.

We have a downstairs w/c too.

Usual 3 bed modern build fare tbh.

Stoner
    Free Member

when I designed our house before building it I put in a large family bathroom that was en-suite to the master, but also accessible from the corridor. There’s another bathroom in the spare room as back up but a bigger family bathroom means tons of room for a huge walk-in shower, bath and double vanity unit basins.

aP
    Free Member

The old Jack and Jill bathroom.

Hmm – got me thinking there Stoner.

My initial feeling was to fill in the door from the bedroom that would have originally gone to the en-suite, as having 2 doors into the bathroom would seem odd – thinking about it though, leaving it in would save me at least 3 strides when needing a piss at 4am.

turin
    Free Member

This is probably not going to help much but, you are probably going to limit the potential market whatever you do, some will want, sorry “NEED” an ensuite while others would prefer the bigger family bathroom. Even the jack and jill while offering the best solution will no doubt put a chunk of potential buyers off. Though its a bit more common in other countries.

Personally Id rather have the bigger bathroom option with a bath and a separate shower,just a personal choice though and not really based on anything concrete. In my flat just now Im trying to workout a way to fit in a bath and shower.

So in short, I dunno 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

if I remember tomorrow Ill get some pics up for you Artist

cinnamon_girl

I would suggest keeping the en-suite. As you have 3 bedrooms it will be classified as a family home. Having had two kids grow up, I really appreciated having an en-suite with shower plus another bathroom.

You can never have enough bathrooms!

Hmm – the daughter’s 10 now, but in a few years time (if we’re still in the same house) I can see the merits of two bathrooms.

cinnamon_girl

Believe me, with a daughter it’s essential!

Edit: does the other bathroom have a shower?

turin
    Free Member

Is it possible to somehow fit a shower downstairs even in the WC? I can see the merits of more than one bathroom/shower room makes sense if there are kids around.

What about donating some of the space from the en-suite to the bathroom to let there be a bath, wc and separate shower cubicle and giving you just a shower off your bedroom?

That way you get the best of everything, 2 WC’s 2 showers and a bath?

Nah, all options above are ruled out due to every single bathroom/wc being of the smallest possible dimensions – it’s all or nothing.

Could fit a shower over the existing bath, but due to space limitations, can’t fit a P shaped bath or anything to increase shower standing space.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’d get rid of the ensuite personally. The almost compulsory ensuite in many modern houses at the expense of space elsewhere is one of the reasons we’re mainly looking at older houses.

3 toilets in a 3 bed house just seems excessive to me.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Ditch the en suite, nice kitchens and bathrooms sell houses. It’s not like you haven’t got another loo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Losing en-suite for bigger bathroom question’ is closed to new replies.